Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Aviar v. Magic v. Magnet v. Clutch v. Anode

Just wondering between these five neutral putters if anyone has thrown two more of these molds for an extended period of time, and what you see as the main reason you continue to throw one, why you switched from one, etc. I don't really want to hear about how they feel in your hand, since that's highly subjective. Really wanting to know factors dealing with the mold themself that are pros/cons in your experience. I'm very curious as to which have faster drop rates, etc.

**Aviar = just the run of the mill, non beaded ones.**
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
i've thrown magics and magnets, currently using aviars.

i used the magic for 6 months. it was great as a pure putter, but sucks in the wind and is too neutral for upshots imo. a little fade makes everything easier. pair it with a challenger/wizard/bb aviar/etc and you're golden.

i switched to the magnet from the magic because i felt like it was better in the wind and i liked it better as a thrower as well. used it from fall 2010 through september of last year. always liked it as a thrower, but my putting with it was very inconsistent. all archer, not the arrow for sure. i was also trying to learn a more 'pitch putt' style and finding stiffer non-brick magnets was very difficult.

i ended up with aviars because i bought a few for a friend in the MP for cheap and wanted to mess with them a bit because i had never really given them a chance. i tried some putts in my yard and they were nice, so i took them to the course and tried some throws. i was hooked.

for me, the beadless aviar (in various conditions) flys the way i always imagined a putter 'should' fly in my mind, if that makes any sense. from watching other people execute nice putter throws to stepping up to a lie and seeing a line for a putter shot, they do what i always imagined was possible. and as long as i don't totally crap on the shot, they pretty much go where i tell them to. it's an amazing thing.

as far as glide, i'd rank them magic/aviar/magnet from highest to lowest.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Eagle Member

Aviars were my main putter for a while, tried the Anode after hearing all the hype. After about 3 months in the bag, both of my Anodes warped. They went from slightly domey to completely concave (bag stays in temp controlled environment, warpage was not caused by heat). Having sold my Aviars (and having a mostly Discraft bag) I picked up a couple of Magnets, haven't even considered another putter since.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 10
In my experiences:

Magic: Has tons of glide and the plastic feels nice. But as Long said, it's useless when wind comes around. Also, I found it felt very fat in my hand, like I was putting with a donut or something. I also got tired of the consistency factor with Gateway.

Magnet: Very easy to throw/get it to do what you want. I found the magnet made longer putts easier, it just seems to glide toward the basket. It held up surprisingly well for drives of the tee,very straight. But, I didn't like how it felt in my hand because of its profile.

Aviar: My favourite out of the three and I've recently started putting with them again (after using a Wizard for the last year). Still fades on drives, even with my mediocre form. I get the stability I need, but without having to force it to do anything. Feels the best in my hand out of the three, but still not perfect.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 66
You normally putt with fresh overstable Wizards, right? Are you considering something you can run straight at the basket instead of trying to play a fade?

The Anode seems pretty logical, if you can tolerate it. You have a pretty aggressive spin putt, and an even more aggressive drive... The combination of durability, stability, and reduced fade (in comparison to a fresh Wizard) would probably be good for you. But you'll be jealous of the hyzer flips I'm throwing with beat Aviars...

Magics and Magnets are probably the straightest options for putting. Those new DX Aviars I was testing a couple weeks ago were fairly overstable, even on drives, but the durability was highly suspect.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 5
Some people will probably jump on you for including the Clutch but not the Pure. I can't really comment, because I haven't thrown any of the molds listed for any length of time. I've always used overstable putters in stages of wear. After my Pure arrives, though, I'll be able to comment.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Having thrown the Magnet for awhile and recently switching to the Aviar, for me the switch was made due to comfort. I found that, for my grip, the bevel on the Magnet's edge would get caught on my finger, making for an unclean release. The Aviar is smooth, and a little more rounded, so it doesn't get stuck.

Also, I really enjoy the glide on the Aviar. I am able to dial in the touch on it real well, and I can find it in any local store. All of these factors have combined to make me settle on it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Courses Played: 9
I throw the magic, but honestly I don't find it any better than a beat, bead worn KC Pro aviar. But I kike super stiff putters and don't want to shell out $100 dollars for a 10x avair. I don't have problems with the magic in normal wind conditions, but outside of about 150' the magic will hold a hyser angle and stay straight for me. I pair it with a beat pro d zone and all is well.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
I have used a Magic since 2008, when I started.
Very neutral putter that's great for putting but sucks for everything else. I cannot get a consistent upshot, so I use a Champ XD or a Star Wedge for approaches.
I continue to use a Magic because it will stay straight longer before it fades.
I'm not sure I can blame my putter for bad wind performance - usually my fault.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 16
I recently switched from a very well loved and perfectly worn in 10 year old Aviar to a SS Magic and I love it! The magic just wants to go in the basket. Its a little deeper than the aviar, but the plastic feels just the same as my old beat aviar straight out of the box.