Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 PM

Courses Played: 5
Default Newbie Disc Selection

I have been playing for about two years. Not too seriously. Started smart with one disc, then got dumb and filled my bag with a bunch of discs I did not know how to use. I am back down to three discs, Saint, Buzzz and Avair. I am wondering how I know when I am ready to add another disc? Maybe never....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 PM
* Ace Member *

How far do you throw?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Eagle Member

If your just a very casual player then maybe never but if you get serious then you will know when it's time to add some molds. When you don't have a disc for a certain shot it's time too add one for that shot. My advice if you decide to get serious is to pick one company. Doesn't matter which one because they all make great discs. Pick one that looks cool or has plastic you like or awesome owners or whatever attracts you. Not to be a fan boy of that company but it's much easier to just try out all of Innovas mids than try out all of Innovas, Discrafts, Trilogy, MVP ect. Besides spending a small fortune it will set your game back by constantly change molds instead of gaining consistency and familiarity with just a few. Its much easier to keep up on new releases within one company. That's my 2cents and good luck.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH

I ended up doing what Cooter said. I picked one company and worked with it. I actually did this twice. The first company I picked was Innova. The first mold from them I fell in love with was the Valkyrie. I ended up building a bag with speed nine as my max. Worked wonderfully for me. I bagged from most to least stable speed nine and working down: Firebird, Valkyrie, Roadrunner, TL, Leopard, Cro, Spider, Panther, Aviar. After my first full season I added a Destroyer and Archon. I also carried a wraith for a while. Now, I am on to my second company. MVP/Axiom. This bag is my permanent daily use bag. I found MVP/Axiom to produce better quality more consistent discs. I bag 3 Photons, all neutron in varying weights, two waves in varying weights, wrath, insanity, virus, two volts, one first run, one proton new run, soon will bag an amp, clash, crave, relay, tensor, axis, theory, envy, proxy, electron Ion. The Envy and Proxy are strictly driving and approach putters, the Electron Ion strictly putting putter.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
I have been playing for about two years. Not too seriously. Started smart with one disc, then got dumb and filled my bag with a bunch of discs I did not know how to use. I am back down to three discs, Saint, Buzzz and Avair. I am wondering how I know when I am ready to add another disc? Maybe never....
I must commend you for weening it down to those three discs, which are all good.

I agree with the advice already posted, that you can add to your bag when you know what else you need on your home course. From there, it's a matter of reading the myriad posts on these boards and then deciding what you want.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 21

I suggest reading this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=32790

It will tell you a great way to approach building your bag, including some solid advice on when to start considering the addition of new discs to your lineup.

Good luck! And remember - half the fun of disc golf (at least in my opinion) is trying out new discs and seeing what works best for you.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:20 PM

Courses Played: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
How far do you throw?
That varies a lot since my technique is evolving. Occasionally I will get one out in the 300 ft range. But more typical is in the 250 ft range.

I play from the shorts and 3s are good for me. I am trying to put my drive in play. Make a good up shot and leave a short putt. Try to avoid the 4s and especially 5+. Nothing fancy.

Greatest challenge is hitting my start line. I have found that if I just take one step and throw, I do not lose much distance and gain consistency and accuracy.

Thinking about abandoning my modified X-step for drives since the extra distance does not do much for me and the loss of accuracy is more of an issue.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 67

I'll agree that, sure, you don't want to necessarily go out as a relative beginner with 30 discs in your bag, but part of the fun is exploring the mind-boggling options out there.

I'd say, if you're wanting to explore some other discs, you could look into slower fairway drivers. If you like the Saint, maybe give a River a shot. Innova Leopard, MVP Relay, etc, there's quite a few solid options out there...these sorts of drivers are the consensus picks for "beginner" drivers. At your power level, I think you'll find you can get longer straight line flight from one of them.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHFH

I can't say enough about the Leopard from Innova. Its a little slower than your Saint and while it might not have the distance potential of the Saint the Leopard certainly can get you to 300'. I prefer a 150g Champion Leopard, but the Leopard comes in a variety of plastics so you can get the "feel" you like. A Leopard is very user friendly. Its forgiving with technique flaws and with practice the Leopard is very flexible in making different lines.

Another possibility is the Latitude 64 Jade. The Jade is a bit faster than the Leopard, about the same speed as your Saint. That said, the Jade comes in light weights and is easy to throw.

Good luck

Old 01-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
and while it might not have the distance potential of the Saint the Leopard certainly can get you to 300'.
*Ahem!*

No. Not at the OP's power levels, which are not much lower than mine. If someone could throw a Leopard 300 ft., they should be able to throw a Valk or high-speed driver 375-400 ft. easily.

I don't know why some here keep trying to push this outright myth that a noodle-arm can throw a Leopard 300 ft.... not to mention say throwing a Leopard 300 ft. is the absolute standard before going to a higher speed disc, which I've seen posted on these boards before. It's just a total and complete fallacy.