Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Its never OK sorry......I can think of no more irresponsible and impulsive people than middle schoolers....expecting them to acquire common sense is lunacy

Hell grown adults throw when its not clear and you are expecting impulsive rebellious beginners to have common sense......my advice.....choose whatever hole you think is more fun and just forget about the other one and use your creativity to come up with a fun hole somewhere else.

Losing a hole today is better than losing a course tomorrow

Good Luck and keep building
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
Yikes!

Perhaps when you noticed that you didn't have room on the map to draw lines for the fairways, that could have been a clue that the course might be too jammed in.

I've done that on an aerial photo, attached.

Is that a road on the left side where the baskets for 5/7, 8, and 9 are?

Let me guess, it "hardly ever" gets any traffic? Did you hear about the guy in the hospital? He hardly ever got hit by a delivery truck while concentrating on his putting.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 190
Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yikes.jpg (86.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
I think it's something that should obviously be avoided if possible but if you put one tee very close to the green area or tee area of back to back holes it shouldn't be that big of a problem. In the middle of a fairway well then you're possibly going to cause some problems, especially if the holes aren't back to back and the group playing up doesn't really know if anybody is over there.

At my home course #4 plays slightly up a hill and a road is almost directly behind the green area. #5 plays off a hill across #4 right at the front of the green area. If you're playing up #4 you more than likely have been behind the group now teeing off on #5 and know to wait before you go up to green. Secondly because #5 crosses right at the green area of #4 more than likely the group playing #4 hasn't even gotten up to the green by the time the group on #5 has teed off. The biggest danger is anyone teeing off on #4 hitting the group walking across the fairway playing #5.

It's annoying because when you're behind a group you have to wait til they drive #5 and cross before you can drive #4 but it's the way it is. Actually you have to wait for the group teeing off on #4 when you're on #3 because of the design. The course pretty much crammed a bunch of holes in a small area right there because of park limitations. The designer is currently working on a redesign to fix these problems.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Yikes!

Perhaps when you noticed that you didn't have room on the map to draw lines for the fairways, that could have been a clue that the course might be too jammed in.

I've done that on an aerial photo, attached.

Is that a road on the left side where the baskets for 5/7, 8, and 9 are?

Let me guess, it "hardly ever" gets any traffic? Did you hear about the guy in the hospital? He hardly ever got hit by a delivery truck while concentrating on his putting.
While I appreciate your concern and your time in detailing the photo, I also don't appreciate the sarcasm, unless I have perceived it wrong (and if I have, my apologies for being defensive). We are working hard to make a safe course, and we are not going to put students in the way of an active street.

The road in question is a bus lane that is only used before and after school. At all other times, including from 3:30 p.m. on, and on weekends, it is closed to through traffic by gates.

As for other parts of the course, I have stated previously that the map has had some design changes. The only spot I am currently concerned about is on 6 and 7.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

OK, here is an updated rendering. The part in question is up at the top of the map, where the two lines cross. Sight lines are wide open.

Orange dots are tees. Yellow dots are baskets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rough Map.jpg (76.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 11
I think this is a dangerous set up you have there. The tees from the roads and the same for pins, you have a fairway over the running track. Throwing over roads and two holes uising the same pin from opposite ends. And the cross on top is asking for an injury for sure the same for a fair way across the asphalt over what looks to be a concrete basket ball court?
I would walk away from this desing if I were you.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Thanks. That's much better than the earlier version, which was about as scary a course map as I've seen.

Looks like a tough place to shoehorn a course in, among parking lots and close to buildings. But you can probably get away with the less-than-ideal crossing fairways there, since they cross fairly early in the fairways and are wide open.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi-D85 View Post
I think this is a dangerous set up you have there. The tees from the roads and the same for pins, you have a fairway over the running track. Throwing over roads and two holes uising the same pin from opposite ends. And the cross on top is asking for an injury for sure the same for a fair way across the asphalt over what looks to be a concrete basket ball court?
I would walk away from this desing if I were you.
I appreciate the input. The parts of the course we are using during P.E. will obviously be supervised, and there will be no other activities going on at the track during those times. I did not think about the basketball courts, as they will also be supervised.

These will be issues to consider if the public is using the course on the weekends, though. I need to do a little more observation on this. The basketball courts are OB, as is inside the track, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Thanks. That's much better than the earlier version, which was about as scary a course map as I've seen.

Looks like a tough place to shoehorn a course in, among parking lots and close to buildings. But you can probably get away with the less-than-ideal crossing fairways there, since they cross fairly early in the fairways and are wide open.
Thank you for the feedback, sorry about the crappy early map. We are still tweaking things, and the buildings are a possible issue, but they tend to be more toward the end of holes, so hopefully they will not be too difficult to work with.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
As the husband of an 8th grade Language Arts teacher, I hear the horror stories that come with middle schoolers.

Even with supervision, this layout will lead to bad news. Someone will get hurt, the school board will get sued, black eye for disc golf, etc.

I certainly appreciate your desire to grow the game, but I really do not believe this is the right place for a disc golf course.