Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up DGCR Scratch Scoring Estimate

I've recently rolled this feature out onto all the course pages as a test. The idea is to give you an approximate, best guess as to what a course's SSA (Scratch Scoring Average) will be on an average day.

The SSE is calculated on the fly based on the current course and hole information. So if you update a pin position, the SSE will reflect that change immediately.

I'd like to thank all the guys that put the discussed this and put the formula together. In particular, New013 and jeverett for bringing this back up and putting together a formula.

For those interested in seeing the discussion leading up to this, here are the threads:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=43426
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=61788

If you have any questions on the SSE and how it's calculated, etc. those questions can hopefully be fielded by the guys that put the formula together. I only implemented their hard work
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
so it looks pretty cool. just one question is the SSA what you need for a 1000 rated round?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
so it looks pretty cool. just one question is the SSA what you need for a 1000 rated round?
yes it is. and thanks tim, been waiting for this
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
Yes, but it's important to keep in mind that the SSE is not an equivalent to SSA. In many cases they will not be exact for several reasons and that the SSA can change depending on the conditions of the course and who was playing; while the SSE is a constant that only depends on the structure of the course itself.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Thumbs up Making a good thing better

Yet another great addition to the site. Thanks Tim, New and jeverett.
Even if it can't be SSA, still provides some idea of a course's overall difficulty.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 141
Great stuff. New, you know how much I love this idea. The next step is to produce round ratings! With the SSE being achieved, this could be an easier task.

One questionable rating I noticed, there seems to be an inconsistency in the SSE rating on one course (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3503). Not sure if there are other instances.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 141
...after looking at it, I think it has to do with the terrain and landscape not included - the formula must not account for this if it isnt listed. I fixed it, but an FYI.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Excellent, the implementation looks good so far! @Aggreen: that definitely could be the problem. The formulas for calculating a SSE are based entirely on the foliage level of the course (light, moderate, heavy) and the current course layout length. I don't know if Tim is ever going to incorporate the 'fix' for including a known SSA and course length pair, but it would also help to fix the accuracy of the system for some courses (particularly those with a lot of risky greens, forced layups, OB, etc.)

Also, I mentioned it in the other thread too, but post #7 (with the tiny correction in post #8) has the correct formulas for calculating round ratings. Also, there wouldn't have been so many mess-up posts if the window on editing posts were longer. *hehe*

Anyway, it's great to see this get implemented! The only item I can see so far is perhaps the SSE's are better with a decimal place or two? I think the SSA's use two decimal places. Definitely don't use a rounded SSE for calculating a round rating estimate, regardless.. it will be *much* less accurate than it already is (inaccurate).
Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 43
Does this apply to 9-hole courses as well?

I might have to start keeping score again.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Yep, the formulas work for all courses, even those other than 18 hole. However, it should probably be noted that results may not be hugely accurate.. After all, most sanctioned events (where you could get an actual SSA) are at 18+ hole courses.