Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
PDs have a narrower rim (1.9) compared to the Villain (2.1) making the Villian faster. I carry both, PD for max distance in normal conditions with up to moderate winds. Throw them flat and hard and you get a long straight flight with a predictable hyzer finish. Throw them on a little hyzer and you get a long smooth hyzer. PDs come in 3 production plastics which all vary quite a bit in flight. Also come in a wide variety of weights, all the way down to 150.

Opto Villians I throw for distance in high winds. It's quite over stable for me, I can throw it anhyzer into a good headwind and it will slowly flex yielding good distance. As is common for latitude, the disc has excellent glide. Gold line Villians can be more in the stable rather than overstate category like the Opto. I guess you could say a Villian is a slower Giant? I've only thrown a friends giant a couple times, but I'd say Saint, PD, Villian, Giant in order of least to most stable.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Par Member

Disc golfers have got to be the most ADHD people on the planet! 90% of the posts in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with the saint. "I throw a saint, then I putt with a wizard! Anyone else throw a wizard?"

190381 posts about wizards later..
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Which glides better, Saint or river?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Depth View Post
Which glides better, Saint or river?
River. ..but thr Saint is a close second.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

GL glides better than opto?

Also, if I were to get a river, what weight would you suggest?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
My favorite is low weight GL Rivers that are flat. 163-165g

However these can be tough to find. If you can get a 165-168 GL River you will be amazed at the glide packed into that sucker!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
The River is one of the most weight related to stability variant discs i have thrown. Just a few grams difference on a rivers makes a world of difference for turn and fade.

I have 178g (max weight) Rivers that fly more like eagles. I have 172g rivers that fly more like QJLSs. I have 168g Rivers that fly more like leopards. And i have 164g rivers that fly like nothing else out there, and that is why most people prefer that lighter weight range.

I prefer GL's
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolfington View Post
Disc golfers have got to be the most ADHD people on the planet! 90% of the posts in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with the saint. "I throw a saint, then I putt with a wizard! Anyone else throw a wizard?"

190381 posts about wizards later..
Let me tell you about my putter...

I recently got a 174g GL Saint and I am liking it a lot even though I haven't thrown it a whole lot. It weighed to actually be 176 but I don't mind. This disc glides for days even with my discombobulated throwing technique. It seems to carry with less effort than my other drivers.

I didn't think this disc was very overstable when I first threw it around. Well, it's not very overstable, it is slightly overstable which is fine. I'll have to play around a little more to figure out exactly what this disc does, but it seems pretty reliable and looks great in the air! I just wish the GL had the cool stamp that the Optos have.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Strat View Post
Don't want to go through all these pages but... are Saints coming out fairly consistent in flight over multiple runs?

I just lost my Charlotte Worlds stamped beat in opto the other day that was absolute money for me.
I have thrown a couple GL's but no other optos.. Do I need to look for this stamp or will any opto do the trick?
My 169 Opto (stock stamp) started out something like 2.5-3 fade and -1 turn and now that's beaten in decent I'd say it's more like 1.5 fade and -2 turn. It went from being stubbornly kind of piggy to turning over like nothing with a little fade back at the end. I kind of like that since I'm using it as a max D disc and s-curves really easily for me and pushes forward just about continuously.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 12
I didn't want to go digging through this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before:

Can anyone compare the Saint to a Volt or Escape in terms of glide/turn/fade/etc. Thanks in advance.