Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
^^^^ copy cat!!!!
Hahahaha sorry sloppydisc. It's been my nickname and username for just about everything for the passed 10 years.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
The River is one of the most weight related to stability variant discs i have thrown. Just a few grams difference on a rivers makes a world of difference for turn and fade.

I have 178g (max weight) Rivers that fly more like eagles. I have 172g rivers that fly more like QJLSs. I have 168g Rivers that fly more like leopards. And i have 164g rivers that fly like nothing else out there, and that is why most people prefer that lighter weight range.

I prefer GL's
Dangit. I was checking out what people had to say about the Saint and you just made me go check on lightweight Rivers. Always used my heavy Opto more like an Eagle and thought it was just my weaker arm/weird grip. The online shop had a 162 in my preferred color for Rivers so I had to snag it, even though I have 3 new discs coming in the mail today from the same shop. Glad they didn't have one in the high 160s in the right color.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Courses Played: 5
Question Gold or Opto

After skimming a ton of threads about the Saint, I'm ready to take the plunge.

(For arm strength reference, I throw a 169 Archon around 350' on average 375 or more on a good throw. Not exactly a noodle arm, but nowhere near being a power guy either.)

What I'm wondering is should I pick one of these up in Gold Line or Opto Plastic. I'm eyeing a 174 Opto and a 173 Gold Line. I really want this disc to be a fairly straight throwing, low and long gliding driver for shots with a ceiling. Also I want to be able to throw similar shots, sans ceiling. Long and straight! I have been using an OLD broken in Champ Orc with a flat (think "hot car deformed flat") top for these shots, but the Orc is just not giving me enough glide to keep me from checking out new plastic...

EDIT: I feel like I should add that I'm also not looking to try and hyzer flip a more understable version of this disc. I'd rather throw a nice, hard flat release and let the disc work it's natural line. Preferably a fairly tight helix, or a straight line with a touch of fade at the end.

Any recommendations on weight or plastic? Do I have the wrong idea about this disc?

Last edited by PlaidleySteakfield; 07-18-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Adding flight preference
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 28
I have a noodle arm, but with a good throw, I can get my low 160s RGL to fly dead straight maybe a foot or 2 off the ground 300 feet.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaidleySteakfield View Post

(For arm strength reference, I throw a 169 Archon around 350' on average 375 or more on a good throw. Not exactly a noodle arm, but nowhere near being a power guy either.)

What I'm wondering is should I pick one of these up in Gold Line or Opto Plastic. I'm eyeing a 174 Opto and a 173 Gold Line. I really want this disc to be a fairly straight throwing, low and long gliding driver for shots with a ceiling. Also I want to be able to throw similar shots, sans ceiling. Long and straight! I have been using an OLD broken in Champ Orc with a flat (think "hot car deformed flat") top for these shots, but the Orc is just not giving me enough glide to keep me from checking out new plastic...

EDIT: I feel like I should add that I'm also not looking to try and hyzer flip a more understable version of this disc. I'd rather throw a nice, hard flat release and let the disc work it's natural line. Preferably a fairly tight helix, or a straight line with a touch of fade at the end.

Any recommendations on weight or plastic? Do I have the wrong idea about this disc?
Heavy GL and Opto are pretty OS for me at 300 ftish arm speed. I like the lighter broken in GL and the Lighter Sparkle Opto. I would bet a normal Opto or GL would be pretty much what you are looking for in a heavy weight.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Par Member

I have a 175g goldline Saint and it is not even close to overstable. It's actually the easiest disc for me to flip over. My buddy has an opto and goldline and they are both the same, easy to flip. He always saya that he seems to have a bit more control with the goldline though.

If you are looking for something to replace your Orc go for a Riot.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaidleySteakfield View Post

You want an opto saint for sure, mid weights (168-172 or so). A GL would be good to start, but will get beat in fairly quick and will then need to be hyzer-flipped to get it to go straight. I have a sparkle opto saint that flies exactly how you described that you want. I carry three saints, a bubblegum opaque pink for huge s shots (max d, hate wide rimmed drivers), a sparkle opto for shots like you described, and a max weight sparkle opto that has close to a teebird flight, but not quite as much fade and needs a little more height to ride than the lighter sparkle opto. Hope this helps. I would give you my distance info that I throw, but im working on cleaning up form and release/hit point so it would be WAY off.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 82
I've been using Saints for a few months now. I currently use 2 white GL and 1 pink Opto all around 172 grams. I also have 1 recycled blue one and had a couple different recycled one. My observations so far.

My Opto is beating in fairly quickly. I throw the GL ones by far the most, one in particular, and they aren't beating in at all. I was hoping one would get flippy but it just isn't happening. I love the disc though. For my power (380ish') they are perfect. The dome height seems to be the most important factor to stability (this may be PLH, haven't checked). The flatter ones I have had were far easier to flip a bit. The domey ones were very stable to overstable.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
I have a 175g goldline Saint and it is not even close to overstable. It's actually the easiest disc for me to flip over. My buddy has an opto and goldline and they are both the same, easy to flip. He always saya that he seems to have a bit more control with the goldline though.
Me too. I have a 175g GL Saint and even though it says "overstable control driver" on it, this disc is not very overstable at all. I would say it might be a touch overstable, just to give the disc some credit. It is still a great disc, though, and glides for days.

In my last round I actually had my first drive where I overshot the basket with this disc on hole 2 at Hoover. I threw it out to the right a bit expecting it to come back and it finally did with just a small/moderate fade. I was quite pleased with this throw and I continued to make a few other longer-than-usual-for-me drives so I was feeling pretty good.