Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
My Teebirds just soiled themselves with fear.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
My Teebirds just soiled themselves with fear.
These things appear way less stable than Champ Teebirds. I've been beating on one for 3 years and it still has way more HSS than the brand new opto Saint Hagstrom was throwing in that video.

Quote:
I know I haven't been playing long, but has a disc ever had this much anticipation?
How bout the Opto Pure? I'd say that one was waaayyyy more anticipated, as the requests were coming for that thing years ago. This thread is mostly the same ~20 people hyping the **** out of the Saint, at least 4 or 5 of which work at plastic retailers. I'm sure it's a nice disc, but I doubt it will be that popular in terms of total sales.

People on here say stuff like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superium View Post
Ti plastic was the latest hype...and it was a flop.
which seems like it couldn't be farther from the truth. Every round I play it seems at least 50% of the randoms out on the course are carrying at least one Ti Buzzz. I'd be surprised if I found a Saint in 1/20 bags around here in 3 months...
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
These things appear way less stable than Champ Teebirds. I've been beating on one for 3 years and it still has way more HSS than the brand new opto Saint Hagstrom was throwing in that video.

People on here say stuff like:

which seems like it couldn't be farther from the truth. Every round I play it seems at least 50% of the randoms out on the course are carrying at least one Ti Buzzz. I'd be surprised if I found a Saint in 1/20 bags around here in 3 months...
To the first point, I am just fine with a little less HSS than a Teebird. I just love the Lat64 glide, and I am hoping for that.

To the second point, I think we all live in a little DGCR bubble sometimes. What may seem like gangbusters or a flop to us could be totally different to the general DG public. We tend to be a little more dialed in here, for better or worse.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
To the first point, I am just fine with a little less HSS than a Teebird. I just love the Lat64 glide, and I am hoping for that.

To the second point, I think we all live in a little DGCR bubble sometimes. What may seem like gangbusters or a flop to us could be totally different to the general DG public. We tend to be a little more dialed in here, for better or worse.
As with every disc that has ever been mentioned on this or any other website, I think it all comes down to throwing style. I did not see any significant difference between my Champ TeeBirds and Saints when I was throwing them side by side. If anything, maybe the Saints have a little less low speed stability. But my bread and butter shot with these kind of discs is a low level rocket that is meant to have zero turn and zero fade. The only real observable difference I saw was how they performed at or about three feet off the ground. The Saints seemed to stay aloft a little better than TeeBirds.

As for the second statement, I whole heartedly agree. We have dedicated threads that can artifically build up hype. We did have a few phone calls this morning asking if we had received them in the store yet (unluckily for them, they called an hour before UPS dropped off our Latitude order). However, this is nothing compared to Blizzard plastics. Bosses are the most difficult to keep in stock, especially after the world record was beaten with one.

However to this, I see more and more buyers who have disposable income who want to come in and "try" something new that is not Innova or Discraft. They look around the store and of all the other manufacturers, Latitude and Westside stand out the most (mainly because of the quality of their plastic). MVP follows them with Discmania lagging third. I am surprised that Legacy does not see more love. Pinnacle plastic can look every bit as attractive as Gold Line.

The Saint is likely going to be a winner amongst those in the know, especially if they can establish some consistency amongst future runs, unlike the Striker and River. The Saint is not as nose sensisitve as the Flow or River, making it easier for non-Swedish Throwing Style players to pick one up and have immediate positive results.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Throwing style may account for this. I had them out for about 30 throws each tonight, pitting them against a dyed 175 Champ and a 165 Metal Flake Champ, both newer. Bad throws aside because of various heat and or poor form related issues, they displayed nearly identical lines when throwing with conservative power (learning what it does kind of power).

The next time I am planning on getting out is going to be Thursday, likely Snelling League. My wide rim drivers completely suck in this humidity, so I am likely going to play everything TeeBird just to keep as clean lines as possible to avoid getting in trouble. If you are going to be there, I can bring the Saints with. Otherwise, the following Thursday morning I am planning on heading up to Becker to scout the course and get ourselves ready for our Ace Race. I was thinking of bringing my camcorder anyway, maybe I can film a few throws of comparison between these two discs.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 89
I've got to be honest: I am not overly impressed with the Saint. I have two Optos (165g and 173g) and one GL (169). I love to throw Strikers (300-350) on any line possible and have uncanny control with them. Also, I was playing in 90 degree heat with sweaty hands without my birdie bag, so I was trying everything to get my hands dry.

Comparing the Saint to the Striker: The Saint is definitely more stable. I had multiple throws where the Saint hit the same line as the Striker, but came up a little short and more left (RHBH). I was getting the Saint out to about 300'-325'. I wasn't overly disappointed with the disc, but thought it would be easier to throw than the Striker from what everybody was saying.

Also, the Saint has a weird rim. I can't put my finger on it (well, not figuratively), but it definitely took some getting used to. It might be because of the dome or because of the smaller diameter disc or somthing entirely different. I will eventually get used to the rim as it wasn't as weird as the Blitz, and the Blitz is my favorite overstable driver.

There were a few tosses of the Saint that I saw the extra "float" where it stayed in the air for a bit longer than it should have like the River does, so I know there is definite distance potential. I mainly saw this on my 165g Saint.

The hyzer I saw on the Saint when throwing some of my normal Stirker hyzer shots was a tad more pronounced than the Striker. For example, on hole 13 at Village Park in Sussex, WI (284ft), the basket is behind some trees with a line along the right side (basket is on a hill that acts like a backstop). Usually, I just put a nice rip into a Striker straight out and let it hyzer to the basket. I put the Saint on that line and, from experience, I know my Striker on that throw would have hyzered past the basket into the hill giving me a 20 foot downhill putt. The Saint hyzered across the basket (almost ace) and gave me a 15 foot putt on the hill with the same elevation as the basket.

I would say the Saint is a solid disc. It is definitely different from what I was expecting from all the talk and Marshall Street's flight guide. It probably won't find a place in my main bag, yet, but it may eventually find a home as I play around with it more.

Side note: I was also not impressed with the Villain when it came out. The Villain is now a staple in my main bag for huge hyzer bombs and windy days.

Last edited by imoser_me; 07-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoser_me View Post

Side note: I was also not impressed with the Villain when it came out. The Villain is now a staple in my main bag for huge hyzer bombs and windy days.
This part I most agree with. I did/ do not like Opto Villains, but I gave the Gold Line a try and now they are must have in my bag.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 16
I think I was wanting the Saint for my mini today....too bad its still in the mail. From what y'all are saying, its what I want. Sad thing is I live just 70 miles from DN....and even though it shipped out at noon today, I won't have it before Thursday. I should have driven to Austin,
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 1
You should have driven to Austin.......

Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 16
Quote: