Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
New Player Ready for His Lashings!

I'm a right hander and throw backhand mostly. I'm comfortable throwing forehand as well. My background in disc golf only goes back a little over a month, but I did get into ultimate in college. I've only got about 15 rounds of DG under my belt, but I feel I'm getting better everyday. Still trying to learn how each disc flies.

Started out throwing Champ Valk, Champ Sidewinder (lost to a lake), Discraft Apache, and a DX Wraith.

I throw with quite a bit of hyzer as I'm used to the bigger discs that usually straighten out much better than these DG discs. I already know I need to work on my release and trying to let go with more of an anhyzer angle. I've also bought a few more discs I'm hoping will help me with my current more natural way of throwing it. Champ Monarch, Star Vulcan, Star Katana, and DX Roc.

I tend to throw with a 3 finger grip when tossing backhand and a 2 finger split grip when throwing forehand. If you have any other questions just ask. Now enough with the writing. Here are some videos of me throwing the disc. All angles are a different throw. Only had one camera so couldn't record two angles at once. Didn't have time to record my forehand from behind the tee.

Backhand From Behind the Tee
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Backhand from the Side of the Tee
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Sidearm from the Side of the Tee
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Prafeston; 05-22-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 48
Okay, so one of the first things I looked for was something my dad is having issues with at the moment. He comes through his reach back from higher to lower like this / if you were watching from the side view that you showed. If you keep the nose down on this throw, it is going to just wormburn. So you learn to throw nose up, causing the disc to air-bounce. Which makes it go really high and stall out. But it seems to be in the air forever.

My suggestion is to look in a mirror and make sure you are throwing flat in your motion. I guess video will be better. Nose up will cause that every time.

Also, slow it down! Get yourself a Leopard and a Teebird and use those or any other fairway driver you would like that isn't too overstable, as your main drivers. Katanas, wraiths, vulcans, and monarchs are too fast for a beginner. Get some drivers 6-8 in speed and use those as your drivers untill you get those out to 350+ average, then move up to faster drivers.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Birdie Member

I definitely see the high to low you are talking about...and I'm having to keep the nose up to insure it doesn't go straight to the ground. So I need to work on leveling out my throw...this will probably also help me release it not so hyzer.

I do have a Shark, Roc, Kite, Banshee, and an Eagle on the way. I'll try to keep the faster discs out of my bag the next time I go out and work on getting some more distance out of these slower discs.

I've heard good things about the Leopard and should probably pick one of those discs up. I have been considering an Archangel too. Unfortunately I threw my Sidewinder in the lake.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 48
The Archangel is a good disc, my only beef with it is that it is only in dx, so a couple hits on trees and its a flip machine, roller if you'd like. But it is a good disc, and all of those you have on the way are good discs. The Banshee is a meat hook. It will go left without fail, but should be good to you FH.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Birdie Member

The Eagle is the only one still on it's way to me...and it might actually be at home right now. So I should be able to get out on the course today and practice with my slower discs. I'll leave all the fast ones...except for maybe my Valkyrie at home.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
On your plant foot, it looked to me like you were pivoting mid-foot. A heel pivot would help get your hips a bit more open.

As far as your grip goes, I think you should read this article:
Grip it to Rip it: The Ins and Outs of Grip
As perhaps watch this video:
The "Climo" grip really helped me with keeping the nose down.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Your reach-back isn't as straight as it needs to be either. I you can get your arm completely straight on your reach-back that should help stabilize your dipping as well.

Your forehand looks awkward from what I have seen others do as well. I can't toss anything forehand so I won't even try to offer advise there.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the links dashiellx, I see what you mean by the mid-foot pivot, it's almost like my whole shoe just spins at the same time. I'll try to work on spinning with the heel.

jmitch, looking at my videos I see that I've got this arch down on my reach-back. So I'll need to focus more on going straight back and straight forward. As for the forehand, yeah I don't know. I never realized I kicked my leg out like that. Looking at the video it again looks like I need to work on a more level release. I mostly use my forearm for right bending holes.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have a listed of things to work on now.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
Get that left hand off the disc as you are reaching backward.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
Get that left hand off the disc as you are reaching backward.
Noted...any reason as to why this is bad? I guess I do it to try and stabilize the disc as I'm bring it back..