Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHFH
iron hill DE

I just read the recent review on this course.It is spot on too.I just for the first time played there on saturday and drove an hour to get there.I thought it was awesome and grueling.Every hole is at least 500 ft.All im saying is read the review then play the course.Anyone played this monster?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
yup, several times. played a tourney there as well. great course. it gets a little repetitive in spots, but overall still awesome.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 1149
Thoroughly enjoyed it, would definitely return - can't wait to play it again someday. I love heavily wooded courses with defined fairways like that. Not quite enough variety to warrant a 5.0 rating from me, but solid 4.5. Lived up to the hype.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
^Pretty much my thoughts exactly, great 4.5 level course that's worth going out of your way for if you like tough, long wooded golf.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 189
Best thing is - it's not that far out of the way. Right off 95. No crowds. No wind. If you're looking for a casual ace round - go somewhere else. But to test yourself, this is a phenomenal course.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 35
Adam's review was straight up and very honest. The Am tees and the Silver baskets have taken much longer to put in then originally planned. Many of the first Am tees were rushed and just didn't work. At that point I had to slow down and decided not to put anything in that didn't fit in with the course. I also had to raise the money for the Silver baskets without any help from the parks. You really can't blame them since they covered the entire cost of the Gold to Gold course. If there really is a problem with the course it is that in its present state playing the Gold to Gold course requires pin point 370" drives to do well.

Like Adam said, many of the pins have been moved to adjust the par. As we’ve cleared things out, and we have a lot some of the pins had to be moved. Any one who has not played the course in recent years should really try it again. All five par 3's are under 400'. I know if you can't reach them they all seem like 500+.

Iron Hill is not for every one. It's not really scenic. There are very few places to throw any big flex shots. There are no par 2's. No one is shooting an 1120 rated round here. It's straight forward, no gimmicks. Throw 350+ line drives accurately, make good decisions about going for the risky shot or the lay up and you'll shoot well. When you leave you'll know you've been tested both physically and mentally.

By the way, it was Adam who built the steps on 17.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 85
This place is sick. I always swear I'm going to get a 4 on the par 6, but it just doesn't happen. Once I lost a FR sidewinder here and "jimimc" happened to be there to open the lost and found and give it back on another occasion. He then proceeded to whoop me and my buddy by throwing "pin point 370' drives" on every hole.

Much respect to Jimi and Iron Hill. Next time you are in this area you should play Iron Hill followed by Carousel; it's a wonderful contrast in Delaware disc golf, both monster courses.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilythekid View Post
Next time you are in this area you should play Iron Hill followed by Carousel; it's a wonderful contrast in Delaware disc golf, both monster courses.
I personally like Carousel better. It has the perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes. Iron hill gets repetitive, its like the same tight, wooded fairway hole after hole. It's like the Nock, minus the things that make Nock great
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 40
I think both courses have their pros and cons. I loved Iron Hill as a challenging course that really shows you what you need to improve on in your game. Of course, so does Carousel with its open bomber holes where if you can't throw 400+ it seems like the pin just never comes into striking range. I know when I played Iron Hill when I finished I was like Diego in Ice Age "Who's ready for round 2." When I finished Carousel I felt like I need to call the paramedics and get an adrenaline shot. I was physically exhausted at the end of Carousel...and I'm used to playing anywhere from 36 to 54 holes at Tyler State Park.

Iron Hill is one of the best courses on the East Coast that I have played so far in my limited DG adventures. If it holds up to my future road trips...then great for Iron Hill.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Fiend View Post
I personally like Carousel better. It has the perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes. Iron hill gets repetitive, its like the same tight, wooded fairway hole after hole. It's like the Nock, minus the things that make Nock great
if by 'perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes' you mean '4 kind of wooded holes and 14 wide open holes' then yeah i guess that's accurate. not much of a mix. i'll take the repetitiveness of the woods over wide open grip and rip shots. carousel is nice but feels like a driving range, iron hill is a golf course.