Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
To Hang or not to hang

I have an opportunity to hang a basket on a hole. It would probably be the best hanging basket of all time........due to it being elevated 10 feet high and hanging over a mound/bank...essentially you'd be looking up at a hanging basket...ala Bracketts bluff. But it would be far more beautiful IMHO as it would hang from a huge branch and not cable wires connected to a dead leaner tree. It would be accessible by scurrying up the bank and reaching out to the basket.

So whats the problem?
I am a notorious worrier and well.....as much as I try to convince myself this basket hanging next to a bank looks like a damn cool swing and theres been a lot of vandalism on my course already...kids/somebody keeps stealing my tools and tossing my lumber into the creek and burying my rebar or tossing it into the weeds/creek....so I am a realist and my fear is a hanging basket off a mini cliff will become a swing to these people

There is also the point that once you saw the base off a discatcher you essentially have destroyed the basket forever......if it gets ruined trying to salvage the basket pole hole would be a rig job and is it worth destroying a perfectly good basket for the dream of a great hanging basket that will likely become ruined

Theres a RR track directly behind the basket location and yeah its where all the bored teenagers walk cause u can drink, smoke, do meth, throw rocks and graffitti and generally be up to no good on the tracks.....a hanging basket off a mini cliff 10 feet away seems like an exercise in futility (I grew up in this neighborhood it's just reality)

Basically I am leaning towards planting it firmly in the ground atop the bank....it would still be a cool position but just not as dramatic....I will catch hell from disc golfers over this idea as they all want the hanging epicness

THOUGHTS?

(I like to do these things as many don't really know what goes into designing and putting in a course)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Get a sign that says "smile your on camera". May help with the vandalism.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutch View Post
I would probably get a glimpse of bigfoot before that deterred kids on bath salts from swinging away ala jackass
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 420
I vote for... Trust your gut. If you think it's gonna get destroyed, you're probably right.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 53
Catch Those Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutch View Post
Better yet, buy a game camera(Less than the cost of a basket to get a good one) and actually catch these punks. I am sure some kids getting vandalism tickets might stop it. If you catch them on camera, take it to the local high schools for identification. Might seem like a lofty plan but hey, than you can be as creative as you want on the course. Those game cameras are pretty easy to hide too and are silent when taking pictures.
I am actually putting together a course on some private land I have and I am definitely going to put one hanging basket out there. Adds another fun element to the game IMO.
Either way, good luck
Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 AM
* Ace Member *

wouldnt it take a pic of every group that played the hole? How much is a game camera? How many pics does it take etc?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrewdominates View Post
Better yet, buy a game camera(Less than the cost of a basket to get a good one) and actually catch these punks. I am sure some kids getting vandalism tickets might stop it. If you catch them on camera, take it to the local high schools for identification. Might seem like a lofty plan but hey, than you can be as creative as you want on the course. Those game cameras are pretty easy to hide too and are silent when taking pictures.
I am actually putting together a course on some private land I have and I am definitely going to put one hanging basket out there. Adds another fun element to the game IMO.
Either way, good luck
Most hanging baskets work best on pvt land I am realizing
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
and why would you have to cut the base off? it's 10' off the ground directly below it right?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
and why would you have to cut the base off? it's 10' off the ground directly below it right?
the point of a hanging basket is the strange visual of a basket floating freely in space...a long pole hanging below seems to destroy the cool visual IMHO

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
fair enough. makes sense. i've never played a hanging basket, so...