Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Shot Shape Ratings

Ive been thinking about a way to ballence different shot shapes by rating them for the two main throwing styles. The other variable I might hope to include would potentially be the slope of the land, mainly to include side slopes. Alot of these ratings might differ drastically depending on if the land is shaped " / " or " \".

Although this is the right track for what I have in mind I'm hoping for a bit of input on how I decided to rate the shot shapes. I use a 2 through -2 scale essentially trying to describe if the throwing style has an advantage or disadvantage. What do y'all think of the numbers and how would you change them?

Sorry if you don't get the idea from my note. I'll try to clarify if need be. In the middle I just have the sum advantage with an arrow indicating for who.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Birdie Member

I too have a tried such an exercise (maybe not to the extent of mapping out on paper all such...) of "flight configuration mapping" - as viewed from directly above - and do such for all my discs thrown all the different ways I throw them (and that's a bunch of ways!); it's a tough exercise. I have them 'in my head' and have to state that IF I was to try such, I'd start from the premise that any shot has an equal and opposite shot - sort of like matter and antimatter. But there are definitely subtle differences in some of those shots. Example: a rhbh with a meat-hook is not a mirror image of a rhfh with same said hooker. This in part is because of a) where the disc is thrown (rhbh is usually left side of tee box, rhfh is usually right side of tee box) and b) the differences in spin that bh's and fh's inherently have.

Karl
Ps: I have purposefully left out any oh ideas as they'd just complicate (for now) an already complicated exercise!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Their would certainly be an inverse to these for the various right dogleg fairways with the same but reverse numbers.

Do you agree with those 6 (or 11 if you count the inverse -straight) shapes as the base shot shapes? Do you think any of the ratings I gave the shapes for each spin direction are off?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Birdie Member

Guess I'm missing what you're really trying to do. I'm just intrigued at someone else taking the time to 'map out' all the different types of shots out there and didn't catch your 3 sets of numbers and what they mean.

Karl
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 35
I can't read the one on the far right...

some lines don't really have a turn/fade rating because you are forcing/manipulating the flight. The stall shot is the best example. but I like where you are going with this. Nice countertops, is that marble?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Keltic the last one I called "awkward" for lack of a better term to describe those left doglegs where the RHFH or LHBH actually has the advantage by being able to "reach" around that first tree.

Karl the numbers are my estimate at the advantage or disadvantage for the two spin dictions of the disc (RHBH & LHFH vs. LHBH & RHFH) using an arbitrary scale of 2 to -2.

IE

2 = big advantage
1= advantage
.5 = slight advantage
0 = equal
-.5 = slight disadvantage
-1 = disadvantage
-2 = big disadvantage
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 31
first off, way to go out of your way to insure a balanced playing experience on the course, despite throwing style or dominant hand.
second, there is a good bit of math and scaling involved and im not sure if you are really going to get anything more out of the numbers that you wouldnt get just playing it. yet im somewhat fascinated and cant stop reeling for what you are trying to get at. will this scale determine the few remaining new holes at northside?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yea I know it seems at the same point demanding but enticing. I'm pretty sure some catabories and values can be come up with which are reasonbly accurate. The truth is that it is trying to ballence my course which has me thinking about this. Is their a different scale that makes more sense for the rating #'s ( could use 10 to -10 or 1 to -1 I guess it doesn't really matter ; I think the 2 to -2 works ok) ?

The only other changes would be add additional catabories or to tweek the ratings (which I do expect to be needed).
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Oh and about the new holes. Yes I am doing this for that, but I have a general idea of the layout. Without having to commit too much yet, I am really focussing on getting good ballence as the decisions remaining diminish.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Your shapes look a lot like flight diagrams from flight charts. For example:

How about naming your holes after discs rather than using numbers? Use some prefix to denote the mirrored flight pattern (LHBH).