Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Selecting a disc basket for a new course

I have been approached to design a disc golf course. I am gathering some pricing information for the guy before we meet. I am looking into picking out what baskets to price to give the guy a rough estimate before we go any farther. I am leaning toward the Innova DISCatcher because it's $325 and it includes the lock collar and installation tube. If you guys and send some of your basket selecting knowledge my way, I would greatly appreciate it. This won't be a pro caliber course, so I could probably get away with something not quite as nice as the DISCatcher. Could you guys help point me in the right direction? Thank you.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Birdie Member

Consider all aspects of use, even those not related to price.
Two most common questions I would ask you when moving into consideration phase.

What is the current "standard" for your area? (players do like regional consistency)

And the second, which I hold as more important...

Is this location or course more likely to be beset by graffiti, stickers, or scribe marks? (maybe avoid yellow band tops)

Everything else beyond that is less important to me.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
My two cents...

If you think there is a major concern for vandalism, expensive baskets may not be a good idea. Outside of that, the only other reason to not consider top-of-the-line baskets is money. If you have money for discatchers, that's probably an awesome choice. I've never been to a course and said, "I hate these damn Discatchers."
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Friend of mine makes baskets for under $200. They're PDGA approved up to B-Tier. He's got a facebook page for contact. His baskets are solid, and good-looking.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
Consider all aspects of use, even those not related to price.
Two most common questions I would ask you when moving into consideration phase.

What is the current "standard" for your area? (players do like regional consistency)

And the second, which I hold as more important...

Is this location or course more likely to be beset by graffiti, stickers, or scribe marks? (maybe avoid yellow band tops)

Everything else beyond that is less important to me.
As for the "Standard", I would probably say that I see more DISCatchers more than anything else. The next closest course is about a 25 minute drive away, so there really isn't anything close that I would have to worry about keeping it similar with. As for vandalism, I wouldn't have too much of a concern. It's a "private community", but my wife's purse was stolen out of her car last year. Most people in my area have never even heard of disc golf (other than the people that I've got into it). The only thing that I may have to worry about is price (bang for the buck). That was why I came here and asked the experts.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Friend of mine makes baskets for under $200. They're PDGA approved up to B-Tier. He's got a facebook page for contact. His baskets are solid, and good-looking.
I may keep that in mind, thank you. I know that the Innova DISCatcher Sport basket for $199, but I'm not sure about it because it looks like it may come apart too easy, and I don't want to make vandalism easy in case it does happen.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 60
We have the new pro 28 discatchers at the new course we are installing now. OMG These baskets are super nice!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
My two cents...
You're two cents are HIGHLY appreciated, and I'm always open to hear more.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Noodle Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
We have the new pro 28 discatchers at the new course we are installing now. OMG These baskets are super nice!
Really? Where did you order them from and how much did they run? I saw them in the Innova catalog, but I didn't know if they were much different.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny53691 View Post
Really? Where did you order them from and how much did they run? I saw them in the Innova catalog, but I didn't know if they were much different.
We ordered 9 of them right from innova and I'm not exactly sure the final cost. I'd have to check with the club treasurer and look at the expense report. We got them back in November and the town we're installing the course paid for them we just made the order that's why the exact cost doesn't stick in my head. We have the old 24 chain basket at another of our local courses and the pro 28 seem to catch a few more of those outside putts and I have never seen the hard putt go straight in hit the pole and come right back out on the 28 chain model. Not saying i can't happen but I have seen it a few times on the 24 chain model.