Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Help a n00b set expectations, please!

Here's a little background, if it helps...

I've been playing about a month. My first two weeks, I started as a LHBH thrower (I do everything right-handed aside from throw a frisbee backhand.../shrug) with a 150g starter Innova DX set (Leopard, Shark, Aviar) along with a stray 150g DX Beast. I was terribly erratic and could only throw my Leopard with any semblance of consistency.

After toying around with the flick, I fell in love. I've watched some videos (Dave's Tips | Driving - Sidearm, Discraft Disc Golf Clinic: Forehand Drives) and read a ton of threads here, and I feel I've gained some great knowledge. I've also taken the advice of starting out with just putters and mids, so I ditched the starter set and picked up a small stack of both Aviars (DX 171g) and Rocs (DX 174g).

I've spent the last two weeks as a RHFH thrower, using just my Aviars. I have developed decent to good accuracy and decent distance (150ft), the most run-up I've incorporated is one step. I've only been attempting straight shots with the slight fade at the end. I'm pretty happy with my progress with just the Avairs, but I wonder if I've hit a plateau with them.

I started throwing my Rocs yesterday (field work). They rip out of my hand a tad sooner than the Aviars, so I've taken to tightening my grip a bit on them. Also, they only hit about the same distance (150ft) as the Aviars at this point, but on a nice-feeling throw, I've gotten them out to 165-170ft.

So my question(s) is, now what?

Should I stick with the Aviars and try to get them out to 200ft? Should I introduce more run-up with them for more distance? Is that even reasonable with a putter? Should I learn to consistently throw hyzers and anhyzers with them before moving on to the Rocs?

Orrr...

Should I move on to the Rocs and learn to throw them straight with at least the same accuracy as the Aviars with more distance?

Orrr...

Whatever you guys come up with!

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys have already helped me learn a TON about this awesome sport! Also, I'll add some videos of myself to the thread as soon as I can.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
I'd keep working with the aviars. Distance, but also start shaping different lines, curves around obstacles.

But do the same thing with your Rocs too. Keep working those discs till you feel like you can make them do anythign you want.

It's hard to give a clear number for distance. While technique is very important, there are other limiting factors. We need to know a little more about you, like your sex and your age and how much sport you did in the past and so on.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 8
I think starting off with a putter and mid was a very smart move. Stick with it and it will pay off very well in the long run.

As for the adding the run up to your throw it may help add a little distance but working out the kinks in your form will help much much more. I would focus on how well the disc leaves your hand and how consistently you can hit your lines.Having a lot of distance is definitely an advantage but not as much as consistency imo.
I don't think it would hurt to throw the Rocs along with the Aviars. It will help you get to know the disc and you'll beat it in a little to get it to a nice sweet spot.

Keep at it and you'll be launchin those suckers before ya know it
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Equipmentwise I think you should throw both of them. IMO, a fairway driver isn't a bad idea, either, but at the distances you're talking about it probably doesn't matter. Right now you're learning the most basic fundamentals and you'll be able to get those figured out with both the Rocs and Aviars.

Techniquewise I think the hammer pound and building your throw from the hit back is the easiest way to learn this stuff. Start with the hammer drills and then use the feeling you learn from them to throw from a standstill. Once you get that reasonably figured out you can start adding steps. Now what "reasonably figured out" means probably differs from person to person. Some might do best by getting it 100% figured out (breaking 300' from a standstill with those discs), but that will take a ton of work. Some, myself included, like a more iterative process where you build a throw once, try to figure out what's wrong and then start over. Each iteration seems to be easier to do and I find I learn more each time.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
It's hard to give a clear number for distance. While technique is very important, there are other limiting factors. We need to know a little more about you, like your sex and your age and how much sport you did in the past and so on.
I'm a 41-year-old male, 6'3", 195. No sports background outside of recreational golf, softball, football, etc. I'm in decent enough shape, though, and run about 10+ miles a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
IMO, a fairway driver isn't a bad idea, either, but at the distances you're talking about it probably doesn't matter.
Would throwing in a fairway driver impede my progress with the putters and mids? I would really like to hit 250' from the tee, as that's about all I'd need at my local course to make pars (and occassional birdies) viable, but I don't want to sacrafice my progression in favor of faster returns.

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I was looking at the hammer pound drills yesterday, I'll start working on them. I'll also work on hyzers and anhyzers with my Aviars, then my Rocs when I can get them where I want them straight.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah sounds like a good start.

Word of advice: RHFH and LHBH are essentially very similar. There are certainly advantages to knowing both but I would recommend working on some RHBH as well before it seems too awkward.

Awesome to see someone using putter to learn forehand shots. Keep it up!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
Would throwing in a fairway driver impede my progress with the putters and mids? I would really like to hit 250' from the tee, as that's about all I'd need at my local course to make pars (and occassional birdies) viable, but I don't want to sacrafice my progression in favor of faster returns.
Maybe, maybe not. At 150' the fairway drivers won't be very controllable and will probably act more overstable than you'd expect. If you try to force them to fly like your Aviars rather than throwing them the same as your Aviars then you could start introducing unwanted OAT. The only advantage to throwing them right away would be that you could get more throws off before you had to go shag your discs. Once your Aviars start getting close to 200' consistently and your mids out past that a bit then I think it's a good idea to start. That might happen relatively soon. Just keep in mind that you should be throwing them all with the same basic technique. The only thing you might need to change is release angle and aiming.

With some patience and work, 250' is a very attainable goal. Depending on how good you are at learning stuff like this (which given your other sports background I'd expect you to be somewhat proficient) I'd be surprised if you didn't surpass that goal without much trouble at all.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post

Word of advice: RHFH and LHBH are essentially very similar. There are certainly advantages to knowing both but I would recommend working on some RHBH as well before it seems too awkward.

Hah, it might be too late on RHBH being awkward! I've tried a little, but I feel and probably look foolish doing it. It's a drag that my natural backhand is lefty, since I don't gain the advantage of the different flight. I'll work on it some, though. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post

Along the same line, maybe try to work on the flick with the left hand as well. Like bholy mentions your LHBH and RHFH are essentially the same lines so having a RHBH or LHFH would help you with some of the opposite lines.

Sounds like you are doing a smart thing sticking to your putts and mids to get your form down. I would think at your size you could get more distance out of your Rocs.

Lets see a video and see if someone can't tell you what you need to correct/change to boost your distance a bit.