Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Handicap scoring

Anyone have experience with a handicap scoring system that works?

Here are the details of our league. We play once a week. Generally 20 players or so. There is about a 20 stroke spread between beginner players and the pro players. There are 2-3 courses in our area currently. A few others are in progress).

A couple of our ideas are as follows:

1) Play random doubles for league. Individual play for tournaments strictly. No handicap scoring.

2) Implement a handicap scoring system. A player's average score is their handicap (less whatever the course par is).

3) Implement a handicap scoring system, but instead of it being a 1:1 system, players only receive 80% of their handicap strokes for league play. (As a result, we project that better players will not feel penalized for receiving less help from the handicap system. In addition, we also feel that this will give wiggle room for players to improve their handicap throughout the year without winning league events each week, if that makes any sense at all.)

4) Handicap scoring system, but instead of a 0.8:1 it's now 0.60:1. This offers the advantages listed above, but goes farther with respect to encouraging individual's to improve their scores.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Seemingly insignificant inputs could be the difference between a successful league season (and one not so successful), because we are all so new to a handicap system.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.9
Courses Played: 81
How about random doubles split. Upper half of ratings abd lower or pro and am.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
www.discgolfunited.com A league setup that has worked has both a handicap division and scratch score division. Players can choose to play in either division each week.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-30-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 24
Everybody plays against their average. Lets say your average is 50, and you shoot a 45. The difference from your average would be -5. There are 20 players in the league, and your score of -5, ranks 3rd. You get a point for every player that you beat, so you would score 17 points.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
www.discgolfunited.com A league setup that has worked has both a handicap division and scratch score division. Players can choose to play in either division each week.
I have been running one of DGU's biggest leagues for the past six years. I recommend it.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Maybe I'm weird, but I've never understood handicap scoring (I understand how it works, I just don't think it's necessary). There was a point when I started out and really sucked at the game. But my sucking led me to want to improve. And I did. Now I can look at my score and be proud knowing there isn't an asterisk next to it. Personally, I'd feel worse about playing with a handicap than just having a low score. However, this is just my opinion.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I really understand exactly how handicap scoring works. Never used it before so maybe I've got the wrong idea.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Bogey Member

Handicap is lame.

Were all human, everybody should start the same.

If your getting beat a lot, go practice
Old 03-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 26
on local weeklies we have 2 prizes. one goes to handicapped winner other goes to best result without handicap.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiekko_FIN View Post
on local weeklies we have 2 prizes. one goes to handicapped winner other goes to best result without handicap.
I like that.

Like some others, I have absolutely no interest in playing handicaps. But I know some folks who do. That would be a compromise that benefits both groups.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicybird6 View Post
Handicap is lame.

Were all human, everybody should start the same.

If your getting beat a lot, go practice
I agree but I also dissagree. How are you going to encourage and grow the sport? If people see that they have a chance to compete with a pro (and possibly learn on the way) they are more likely to play.

If someone new shows up and they are put up against someone that can shoot 47 on average and the newbie averages 89. I don't think the new person will have any fun, they won't learn because they will probably be embarassed, and it just may turn them away from the game all together.

But I also agree because you need to make it about playing to your abilities and encouraging players to get better