Disc Golf Center
Old 12-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Bogey Member

Smile A place to practice for us with snow cover

I am trying to rebuild my form after many years of bad habits. Probably should just have waited until spring time but just want to get started now for some reason. Just wanted to share my idea for a method to practice outside with out using a ribbon tape to a disc in deep snow cover it's not without obvious consequence's though. I have been using the back parking lot at the local mall witch is not as heavily salted and it's after mall hours (i know great way to ruin a disc) but to my surprise my Z buzz is not nearly getting beaten as bad as i thought it would be. I have found that the relative flat angle it lands on along with me trying to land it on the patchy snow/ice pavement is working so far plus i will ensure discraft stays in business .
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHFH

Tough to work on form in the snow of WNY. Footing and extra layers of clothing will inhibit you. You might get frustrated with a significant loss of distance.

That said, don't give up on winter golf. You'll be ahead of the curve come spring.

For a fun change of pace try Zephyr golf on the weekends at Hawk's Landing.

And if you see an old guy out there with or without a miniature husky that would be me. I've been known to throw in single digit temps and negative wind chills.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHFH

You can ask your local rec center if the have a BBal court you can use. Not great for distance but you can work on approaches.

Since I'm also a baseball instructor I use the batting cages like a closed driving range. It's not a fun not seeing the flight but over 90 feet you can at least see if it was going to be good or not.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
Tough to work on form in the snow of WNY. Footing and extra layers of clothing will inhibit you. You might get frustrated with a significant loss of distance.

That said, don't give up on winter golf. You'll be ahead of the curve come spring.

For a fun change of pace try Zephyr golf on the weekends at Hawk's Landing.

And if you see an old guy out there with or without a miniature husky that would be me. I've been known to throw in single digit temps and negative wind chills.
Funny you mentioned Hawks Landing I just received a call from Doug 2 days ago he found my dx banshee in his pond. Hoping it's one of my old banshees labeled 'distance driver' those were a flatter run and a better utility disc for me. Yes I always notice the decrease power with adding layers. But changing my form has really decrease my over all distance. Footing wasn't bad I found a dry patch on the lot to throw from and ice to land it on. I think I might have played part of a round with you before Evengola i remember the dog. Do you play golf with Russ and Troy? If not I am sure I will see you out their this year I usually play with my girlfriend or alone sometimes pulling my disc golf cart 'back surgery/problems'. And when I go to Doug's I am looking for a nice bright red Zephyr
Old 12-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
You can ask your local rec center if the have a BBal court you can use. Not great for distance but you can work on approaches.

Since I'm also a baseball instructor I use the batting cages like a closed driving range. It's not a fun not seeing the flight but over 90 feet you can at least see if it was going to be good or not.
Indoor basketball court would be great. I have thought of this before but never really thought to ask thinking it would have to be a definite NO! Can't hurt to ask and hearing it work for you gives me hope. Maybe I will ask to use the Bills field house since I don't think they have been using it much this year��
Old 12-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHFH

Usually I don't get a lot of resistance if it's well explained. I bring a practice basket and show what I want to do and generally it's less damaging than the kindsnonvthose scooter things buzzing around.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:06 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 270
Throwing Style: RHBH

Instead of beating on your discs with a runup in a parking lot, just throw from a standstill all winter, while on the course. You'll be amazed how much better you come out of it in the spring. A couple years ago, my max D shot up about 70-80' after the thaw, as measured against the previous year.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Instead of beating on your discs with a runup in a parking lot, just throw from a standstill all winter, while on the course. You'll be amazed how much better you come out of it in the spring. A couple years ago, my max D shot up about 70-80' after the thaw, as measured against the previous year.
Yup. This all day. I did that in the '14-'15 winter and was clearly throwing better, both distance and control, in the Spring. Played a lot of Beaver Dam with just a stack of putters or mids.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
So true. I have a winter league, and when it's not awful out, I go and throw 90% standstill shots. Helps a lot once it hits spring. My company also has a warehouse that I set up a couple indoor holes in. All roughly 200'-250', but all 90 doglegs. Helps the short game a lot on finished poured concrete, so it's not rough on my discs and helps me with short approaches at different angles, tunnel shots, forehand vs backhand, and low-ish ceiling. (20' ceilings with 3' rafters below)

I know a warehouse isn't an option for everyone, but since I'm the one in charge, I DO WHAT I WANT!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Usually I don't get a lot of resistance if it's well explained. I bring a practice basket and show what I want to do and generally it's less damaging than the kindsnonvthose scooter things buzzing around.
I have a innova travel basket I actually won about 5 years ago first time I have ever won anything in a drawing. I don't think a lot of people we're entered in it. One of those get ten stamps for buying discs write name and number deals. Anyway bringing the basket would probably help my cause out a little.