Old 08-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Courses Played: 12
How do you track progress/improvement?

Ever since I've been serious about improving my game and competing in tournaments I've been trying to track my improvement. Just wondering how do you track yours? Or do you even track it? Right now I'm using the DGCR app to get ratings for my rounds and then separating them into sets of 10 rounds and averaging the rating and comparing the sets. Let me know what you do.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
I just see how my rating changes over time. One of the best benefits of PDGA membership, IMHO.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 29
If you only measure improvement by how well you score, then simply track scores as you are.

If you want to track improvement by how well you throw, then track your throws. I do this in my head, mostly, by reviewing each drive I made, for example, as to how high the quality was. Did I put it on the line I wanted? If not, how far off line was it? Did it carry as far as I expected?

At the end of a round, I can review how many of the drives were high quality and how many weren't, then compare that to how I was throwing last month/season/decade. I can also review what challenges I had trouble with on the poor quality shots and track that sort of info (e.g., 4 of 6 drives with a strong R-L wind were poor).
Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: LHBH
By the fact that my rounds at good courses I've played for 10 years or longer (Pier, Dabney, Milo) I now shoot 25 strokes less than back then. Still haven't shot under par at Milo yet, though. That course just beats up old bones and tendons by the end.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Discing View Post
Ever since I've been serious about improving my game and competing in tournaments I've been trying to track my improvement. Just wondering how do you track yours? Or do you even track it? Right now I'm using the DGCR app to get ratings for my rounds and then separating them into sets of 10 rounds and averaging the rating and comparing the sets. Let me know what you do.
By playing the toughest local course as much as possible and seeing how my scores improve.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 226
2011 Am Worlds - 11th
2012 Am Worlds - 6th
2015 Am Worlds - 3rd
So by 2018 I'm for sure to win.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 122
I no longer track my improvement---I chronicle my decline.

Long ago, when I had improvement to track, I recorded my scores on a course I played a lot, a course that didn't change much, and watched both my averages, and my personal bests.

When ratings came along, I was playing enough tournaments that they pretty accurately measured my improvement, my fall after an injury, and my rebound. For the last 5 years, my rating has been sliding, and I'm about to concede that it's not a momentary slip.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 181
By the amount of Poison Ivy incurred... a lot of the courses I play have it, but hardly ever in the fairway.
If my disc lands no where near the ivy, it was prolly a good throw.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
How do I track my improvement?

When I stopped finding discs. I was no longer in the weeds looking for mine.

When I'm done with a field work session and the muscles in my legs and butt are sore and not my arm and shoulder.

I now drive with a putter where I used to drive with a long mid.

I no longer freak out if I have to throw a forehand and can now FH every disc in my bag and it isn't that far off my BH distance.

I know I'm getting better because I'm more happy at the end of the day because I notice my improvements rather than being frustrated because I suck.

Knowing that even after a few bad shots, I'm still shooting par or under par at my local course instead of 10-12 over.

Last edited by grotto; 08-04-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 111
Math/stats' heads and/or people that use rounds to track progress: Would recording your rounds in a points format like Stableford rules yield more usable data? Just going by stroke play kind of seems like using raw box score stats in basketball for example. Is there a TS% (true shooting %) or WARP (wins above replacement player) for disc golf? I usually hate advanced stats but I wondered if there might be a better way to quantify play (other than SSA I guess).