Disc Golf Center
Old 10-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Using public transportation

Currently, I am without car and was wondering how many of you live where there are courses that accessible by bus, trolley, light rail, etc...? I have used the heck out my local system, albeit that the system is average at best. And I've played all the courses that I can in my area that are accessible by public transportation. I'm looking for a decent transportation system that can reach, no less than 5 courses. I'm looking to do a road trip in the near future and probably looking for a motel/hotel to stay at while I play these courses.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 28
What do you mean by "decent transportation system"? You can take a train, plane, bus, taxi. You might be able to rent a segway if you want...
Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm looking at public transportation that runs every 6-15 minutes for buses, light rail/trolley. It's much cheaper than a taxi or renting a car for a day or two.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
We have really nice hybrid buses in my town. Always empty, but hey that's not important is it?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:47 PM

1Roy

Do you know if you can take those buses to any of the disc golf courses in their area?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Birdie Member

Where do you live?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:07 PM

I live in Sacramento, California. Just looking to play somewhere other than California. Looking for the excuse to take a road trip.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Birdie Member

Check out a train schedule, and see if there are any courses along the way.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 114
For what it's worth, the more robust a public transportation system, the higher the population density (generally speaking), which tends to mean less available space for disc golf. Again, generally speaking.

Here in Boston we have a pretty good public transportation system, but almost none of the disc golf courses in the area are accessible by it. I know you can get to Devens by the commuter rail because googlemaps lists it as an alternative. And Borderland could be reached by the commuter rail if you're up for a 2-3 mile walk.

I imagine you'll have better luck in the western half of the country just due to the way cities were planned. Big municipal parks with long bus rides to get to them. But I'm curious to hear what others say. This is something I've wondered about from time to time.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 181
In general, this is tough, because public transit tends to best serve densely populated areas, and disc golf courses tend to be in less densely populated areas, where land is cheaper. With that said ...

Looks like you're in Sacto. If you take Caltrain to the bay area you can hit:
- Davis: There's a lousy 9 hole course that's not to far from the station. There's an object course that's actually quite good deeper into town, just make sure you print out the map and directions.
- Berkeley: The aquatic park course is quite close to the Caltrain station. The caltrain station is also served by the frequent AC transit 51 bus (just make sure you get on an 51 to Amtrak, not a 51 to the Marina)
- San Francisco: The Golden Gate park course is probably the best on this list. There's a number of MUNI buses out that way. If you schedule allows it, I recommend playing on a weekday morning, otherwise this course gets very crowded.
- San Jose: Helleyer and De la Raza are a 5 minute walk apart (there is a path near the basket 1 of La Raza and the tee for 1 at helleyer). You can get close on a VTA bus but it's a bit annoying (don't remember the details)
- Napa: You can take the VINE bus up, get off at Napa Valley College, and walk over to Skyline Wilderness, but it's a bit of a walk (~1.5 miles)
- It's also probably not hard to get to Chabot Park in San Leandro, but I've never worked out how to do it.

(Some of your travels inside the bay area may be better done on BART or Caltrain depending on the schedule you plan.)

Unfortunately Santa Cruz is really tough, shame because there are some great courses down there. Stafford Lake is also very tough (possible with a combination of Golden Gate Transit and Novato Dial-A-Ride).