Disc Golf Store
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Send a message via AIM to Bglo
Hyzer vs. Anhyzer

I throw right handed fore hand, and i was just wondering what the difference between a hyzer and an anhyzer?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 6
It has to do with the direction the the disc is spinning. A hyzer turns into the spin and an anhyzer turns away from the spin. For you a hyzer would be a right turning disc and an anhyzer would be left. For a Right Hand Back Hand (RHBH) it is the opposite.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 78
actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.

a hyzer release for rhfh would be with the side of the disc away from your body angled downward, anhyzer would be the opposite. these most commonly translate into a shot which would turn right for hyzer and left for anhyzer but not necessarily so- the hyzer flip where one throws an understable disc with a hyzer angle but has it flip up to go straight or even turn left (again for rhfh) is one of the most useful shots for negotiating tight holes.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
biscoe is absolutely right.

There are great resources for this on Innova's website.

From the FAQ's

Scroll to the bottom of the page in the third column
Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
so for a layman Anhyzer is is wrist cocked non grip hide pointing up
Hyzer is wrist relaxed disc pointing down.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.

a hyzer release for rhfh would be with the side of the disc away from your body angled downward, anhyzer would be the opposite. these most commonly translate into a shot which would turn right for hyzer and left for anhyzer but not necessarily so- the hyzer flip where one throws an understable disc with a hyzer angle but has it flip up to go straight or even turn left (again for rhfh) is one of the most useful shots for negotiating tight holes.
Dead on, but if I may elaborate, a description that might be more universal for both BH & FH releases might be:

Hyzer: The disc is released with the edge opposite of where the disc is being gripped, below the point where the disc is gripped.

Anhyzer: The edge opposite of the point being gripped is higher than the point being gripped.

The terms can even be applied to to thumbers and tomahawks, except you might have to substitue L & R for above and below - point is, just like FH & BH throws, overhead throws are similarly affected by the angle of release.

Technically speaking, Hyzer and Anhyzer, shouldn't be used to describe the disc's flight, but people tend to do so because most people know what a "typical hyzer shot" will do. A very overstable disc could be released with significant Anhyzer, and if you didn't see the angle release, the flight might appear to go straight initially and simpy fade L or R as expected, looking all the world like an ordinary hyzer thrown with a stable (rather than over or under) disc.

Hyzer-flip and Flex shots each refer to a specific combination of release angle and disc choice.

Hyzer-flip: The angle of release makes it a hyzer. What makes it a "flip" is disc choice. This shot is thrown using an understable disc, which is where the flip comes from - as the disct "turns" (as an understable disc will), it goes from a hyzer angle to flat, or maybe even turns over a bit. The same shot, if thrown with a stable disc, would simply be a hyzer.

Flex-shot: This is nothing more than an Anhyzer release, but thrown with an overstable disc, so that the discs overstability pulls it back to flat from the anhyzer angle. Again, the same shot thrown with a stable disc would simply be anhyzer.

In these types of shots, the thrower is using a hyzer or anhyzer angle to offset the over or under-stable flight cahracteristics of the disc.

The amount of hyzer or anhyzer used (angle imparted) should corrsepond to how much you want to affect the disc's travel (L or R) from how it would travel if you threw the same disc flat.

Sorry about the long windedness. A habit of mine (that bugs a great many) is: I try not to communicate in a way that can be understood - but do try to communicate in a way that cannot be misunderstood.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-30-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 6
[QUOTE=biscoe;134784]actually hyzer and anhyzer refer to angle of release, not to the direction the disc turns.QUOTE]

Good point. I was thinking more of Bglo's forehand vs my backhand. Thanks for clearing my fuzzy headed post up. (I gotta stop posting before coffee.)
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 50
great post bogey
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Dead on, but if I may elaborate, a description that might be more universal for both BH & FH releases might be:

Hyzer: The disc is released with the edge opposite of where the disc is being gripped, below the point where the disc is gripped.

Anhyzer: The edge opposite of the point being gripped is higher than the point being gripped.

The terms can even be applied to to thumbers and tomahawks, except you might have to substitue L & R for above and below - point is, just like FH & BH throws, overhead throws are similarly affected by the angle of release.

Technically speaking, Hyzer and Anhyzer, shouldn't be used to describe the disc's flight, but people tend to do so because most people know what a "typical hyzer shot" will do. A very overstable disc could be released with significant Anhyzer, and if you didn't see the angle release, the flight might appear to go straight initially and simpy fade L or R as expected, looking all the world like an ordinary hyzer thrown with a stable (rather than over or under) disc.

Hyzer-flip and Flex shots each refer to a specific combination of release angle and disc choice.

Hyzer-flip: The angle of release makes it a hyzer. What makes it a "flip" is disc choice. This shot is thrown using an understable disc, which is where the flip comes from - as the disct "turns" (as an understable disc will), it goes from a hyzer angle to flat, or maybe even turns over a bit. The same shot, if thrown with a stable disc, would simply be a hyzer.

Flex-shot: This is nothing more than an Anhyzer release, but thrown with an overstable disc, so that the discs overstability pulls it back to flat from the anhyzer angle. Again, the same shot thrown with a stable disc would simply be anhyzer.

In these types of shots, the thrower is using a hyzer or anhyzer angle to offset the over or under-stable flight cahracteristics of the disc.

The amount of hyzer or anhyzer used (angle imparted) should corrsepond to how much you want to affect the disc's travel (L or R) from how it would travel if you threw the same disc flat.

Sorry about the long windedness. A habit of mine (that bugs a great many) is: I try not to communicate in a way that can be understood - but do try to communicate in a way that cannot be misunderstood.
Great post.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bglo View Post
I throw right handed fore hand, and i was just wondering what the difference between a hyzer and an anhyzer?
If you played Ultimate: hyzer releases are inside out, and anhyzer releases are outside in.