Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Critique my form, please.

Well, I finally took my crappy web-cam out to the field. Stretched my extension cord as far as I could, which ended up being on gravel. Sorry for the video quality; bad cam, I don't know how to edit, and I can't force myself to shift my weight properly on gravel. The camera kinda freaks me out, but at about the 9:00 mark, I start throwing some decent shots. Any advice is much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFxS...ature=youtu.be

Some standstills (towards the beginning), some drives, 2 rollers, 2 thumbers (late), and a sidearm(last).
Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 AM
Sophomore

I cut out the first 9 minutes of the video where I wasn't throwing so well. Also, I have 2 other videos from a side view, if that's better, but I thought this angle was better.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Your reach back and pull through are not keeping a straight line, so you got some rounding or arcing going on. It looks like you pull the disc in toward the body funky and early which gets your elbow out off line and shoulders open early. Your hyzer shots all have the front shoulder down and slight lean back so you have some plane alignment and balance issues. The steps after the followthrough show you aren't properly using the hips and balanced. Try squatting a little more over the disc and turning the hips back more and reach back more toward the left side of the tee pad to keep more width of the upper arm and chest and a straighter pull line. Your standstill shows you pushing the rear side too early before the front heel has planted, and you aren't keeping your weight on the inside part of the foot/leg for proper weight transfer and pivot.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Sophomore

Thanks. Very helpful. 'Pushing the hips', I don't quite understand what that means.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

You are rotating hips before your weight transfers...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Sophomore

Is the weight shift the same in disc golf? Should my hips be moving forward to initiate it? (I'm not sure if "forward" is the right word, but I used to ball golf, and that sort of hip movement felt far more natural with a ball golf swing than it does in my disc golf swing.)

I worked on getting a straighter pull today. As a by-product, my stance became more closed; something I'd been trying to incorporate for a while now, but hasn't clicked until today. So thanks for that. I'm having some nose angle issues, but my release point was more consistent today. I'll probably post another video later this week.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Sophomore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9dQFloNXm8

I'm hoping I have a straighter pull here.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 PM

Courses Played: 7
Look at the difference in your drives on the ones that get released high versus driving through low and hard. You are very much on target and your balance looks really good on the low shots.

I can't really tell if you are trying to throw different heights or if you are simply inconsistent with holding your form to keep the disc at the height you want. On the higher shots you are obviously off balance and it shows that you are either uncomfortable throwing the high line or the balance issue is causing the height inconsistency.

Look at 1:04 for example of good on balance low hard drive and 3:11 for the off balance high shot.

Your pull through looks pretty good here though.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Principles of leverage are the same. Your spine is never braced on your front side, so you can't generate torque from the ground up and really catapult power from the hips. You still need to close your stance so you are not shifting your weight from in front of you, but transferring it from behind you while bracing the spine. You end up in a backward position like feldy points out, and your max reach back you are in quite a different position than feldy displays. Transferring your weight from behind you will also make a lower reach back more natural keeping your spine aligned to help fix your high reach back swooping pull which results in a nose up air bounce.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 06-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Sophomore

Balance issues are causing the high release. Bad timing. It's a fairly substantial change from just a few days ago, so it's still pretty rough. Haven't really landed on one particular run-up.