Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
About to ditch the high-speed drivers.

I started playing disc golf about 15 years ago. I played for about 3 years, then quit playing up until about a year ago. When I started playing, discs like the Viper and Banshee were the " maximum distance" drivers. Since my return to the sport, I've tried several of these new high-speed discs. I've had some pretty good drives, but more bad than good. I'm getting to the point where I can throw putters and mids 300+ feet, with consitent accuracy. I was wondering if there was anyone else who felt the same. There certainly isn't anyone that I've played with lately that doesn't seem to have several 12 & 13 speed drivers in their bag. I'm not totally ready to go the way of the slower discs, however I've been getting drives over 400' with an Eagle, Cheetah, and Banshee. The Hornet has been my "go-to" disc. That thing freakin' bombs!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Theres a guy that play here that wont use anything above a 9 speed, personally it has to do with him using the 'Bonapi(a)ne?' grip, but he is deadly accurate and can get some goo distance.

Im actually starting to fall off most higher speed stuff with the exceptions of a few for max d and superb overstability in headwinds for max d.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

I don't have anything in my bag past speed 10....
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Ditch 'em!
Not throwing anything faster than speed 8 myself.
What I might loose in distance I take back in consistency.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Birdie Member

I've found plenty of Grooves, Wraiths, etc. I think it might be a lot of Dick's and MC Sports selling discs now. I have NEVER seen a "fairway" driver at either of those places. I think it's usually newer players that will purchase discs from there and lose them. I do have an Flx Surge that I think will stay in the bag, it's good for low ceiling shots, skips like crazy. But if you want a BIG skip, they make a Whippet for that.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 58
My hand won't even hold anything over a 10-speed rim comfortably. SOLF/Orc for my distance driver. If I throw a Boss at full power it feels like my palm rips in half, it's rim is too wide / my hand is too small.

There's a guy here in town that throws nothing but Spiders and he can whoop some serious a$$.

It's sickening when my driver goes the same distance as someone else's midrange! haha
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 29
By your distances it sounds like you are a pretty solid player so i dont know if you should get rid of them completely...they have their advantages in certain situations, just know when to use them.

personally i only throw up to a speed 10 but thats just because i cant stand the wide rims with my grip.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 13
Form > Speed

I think you echo the sentiments of alot of people that get into DG these days, start with the super stable high-speed stuff, and hopefully, over time, realize that slower drivers are not only easier to throw, but can actually go just as far in many cases (or certainly far enough). The Teebird remains extremely popular for a reason I think, as do many of the more useful fairway drivers and speed 9 stuff (Viking, Valk, Striker, Sidewinder, PD, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
I started playing disc golf about 15 years ago. I played for about 3 years, then quit playing up until about a year ago. When I started playing, discs like the Viper and Banshee were the " maximum distance" drivers. Since my return to the sport, I've tried several of these new high-speed discs. I've had some pretty good drives, but more bad than good. I'm getting to the point where I can throw putters and mids 300+ feet, with consitent accuracy. I was wondering if there was anyone else who felt the same. There certainly isn't anyone that I've played with lately that doesn't seem to have several 12 & 13 speed drivers in their bag. I'm not totally ready to go the way of the slower discs, however I've been getting drives over 400' with an Eagle, Cheetah, and Banshee. The Hornet has been my "go-to" disc. That thing freakin' bombs!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Birdie Member

I play a lot of wooded courses around here, courses where there is no reason to pull out a max D disc. The past few weeks, I've played some more open ones. I had a chance at a birdie on a 380' hole with my Comet. Everyone else threw thumbers and tomahawks out of the woods to the left of the fairway.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 18
Is there one site that has most all discs and their "speed" rating?