Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Whats the deal with light, <165, Rivers? I've seen a few people say they're pretty rare and I never see any for sale. Any reason they don't make a lot? Do people usually know or do you just have to be lucky? What about lighter fuses?

Just curious
Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 14
MST has some 167's, that's about as low as I've seen outside the Marketplace here. Also, some retailers who don't weigh discs could have some 165's scaled that are tagged 169.

I think the lack of supply is likely due to lack of demand - Rivers are easy to get up to speed and wind-sensitivity is an issue, so lighter weights likely aren't as desirable. I've thrown Rivers in a range of weights and I prefer mine at 175, whereas most drivers and fairways I prefer to be around 171 or less.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Flat, lighter (<165), GL Rivers are the bomb! Hyzer flip machines with the slightest effort. Really about the easiest fairway distance out there.

But this particular breed of River is somewhat hard to find. I have a few and don't ever plan on getting rid of them.

Just saw a thread where someone is asking around $28 for a unthrown one. That's fine, and somebody will likely pay it. I throw mine and love every second of it.

Just like 1st run Ions, 11x Teebirds, or Flat Firebirds. Everyone likes what works for them!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajames View Post
Flat, lighter (<165), GL Rivers are the bomb! Hyzer flip machines with the slightest effort. Really about the easiest fairway distance out there.

But this particular breed of River is somewhat hard to find. I have a few and don't ever plan on getting rid of them.

Just saw a thread where someone is asking around $28 for a unthrown one. That's fine, and somebody will likely pay it. I throw mine and love every second of it.

Just like 1st run Ions, 11x Teebirds, or Flat Firebirds. Everyone likes what works for them!
I saw that too that's what kinda got me thinking about it. Are they that rare?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
I saw that too that's what kinda got me thinking about it. Are they that rare?
Pretty hard to find...(especially of the older runs, new stuff is about 166 and up)

To be honest the low weight, flat, white, GL Rivers are the best (IMO).

If you find one of those, you will know the wonders of the Latitude 64 River!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 12
My main River thrower is a 161 (scaled) GL and it's awesome. It takes very little effort to get it going on great lines and seems to be a little more understable than my 173 GL. It took the place of my very well seasoned Star Leopard because it does everything the Leo did, but with a bit more distance.

I'd love to get a backup because I don't know what I'd do if I lost it. Probably have to pay $30!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
I assume L64 does a cfr program...hence the SDGO GL Pures

but I know for a fact that a local club went through Westside and got custom stamped cfr discs with their club logo

cheaper than Innova, shipped quicker and cheaper than Innova
edit: but it didn't include the "goodies" that Innova includes with a cfr order
i emailed latitude directly earlier this spring about possibly doing my fundraiser discs and was referred to dtworld. i wasn't impressed with the mold selection and prices, and even asked for a price break since i was ordering 200 discs. i'd be curious to see what it would cost to get them directly from latitude, but the timeframe i contacted them within wasn't enough to get them in time for the tournament. i didn't bother contacting westside because i figured the pricing would mirror that of latitude.

i know that all of the "goodies" that were rolled into the innova deal weren't free, but i ordered enough stuff from them to get good pricing and a ton of schwag to give away at the tournament. mark molnar was my contact through the whole deal, as he is the discmania sales manager for the US. i originally wanted to do discmania discs, and they would have qualified for the same pricing and "goodies" but figured sparkly metal flake plastic would be easier to move than regular s or c line.

latitude just needs to break down and open a US facility so we can get easier access to special order stuff like that.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
*I whine a lot*

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Whats the deal with light, <165, Rivers? I've seen a few people say they're pretty rare and I never see any for sale. Any reason they don't make a lot? Do people usually know or do you just have to be lucky? What about lighter fuses?

Just curious
i emailed them to ask and its because of the plastic they use. there isnt much for weight agent as it is so there isnt anything really to take out to reduce weight.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
i emailed them to ask and its because of the plastic they use. there isnt much for weight agent as it is so there isnt anything really to take out to reduce weight.
They've got the Diamond, Ruby, and Pearl, though. There's gotta be a way to get other molds lower, then.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Eagle Member

those discs are also smaller in diameter...