Old 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discddwn View Post
Those flat pearly swirly whites are tough to come by. I have 3 now and wished I never sold the 4th. These and the old run stiff opaque pink optos are the only Rivers I use anymore. Pinks are also becoming a tough find.
Those older run opaque pink opto rivers are amazing.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
So, I'm currently testing some Lat 64. I love the River (GL and test material) and the Vision is interesting. I'm not sold on the Fuse (I feel like I can get the same lines with my Ibex and the Ibex offers more versatility. But I am extremely impressed with the Opto Air Saint. Speed 9 is about where my arm speed tops out and I've been interested in trying 150 class discs, so I figured why not try a 150g Saint.

And the Saint is awesome. It's consistently at least 30' further than my other fairways and I'm more accurate with it as well, all with less effort. And I was surprised to find out that it handles wind fairly well. In a tailwind, it bombs. In a crosswind, a slight adjustment of hyzer gives me a controlled, normal flight path. And it even handles a headwind! I just need to release with some more hyzer than normal and lay off the power a tiny bit, and it flips to flat, turns a little, and penetrates through the wind. All in all, I'm extremely impressed and am now interested in trying more 150 class discs. I know that Lat 64 has a problem making lightweight discs in GL and Opto plastic, but this Saint makes wish that they would release Opto Air versions of all their discs available in Opto plastic, so I had more 150 class discs to try alongside the 150 class Vibrams I'm going to pick up.

Anyways, while Vibram still will make up the majority of the bag, it looks like some Lat 64 plastic is gonna keep me from throwing an all Vibram bag anymore.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Just gave my Opto AIR Saints a field test today...

Two 155, Red-Orange, Opto AIR Saints. These may have a slight more dome than my 167-168 Optos and most definitely more than my 166-169 GLs.

I threw them today with about 15 mph wind at my back and front along side my regular Opto saint.

Tested them both RHFH and RHBH. I have a little more D with my FH on average for all discs.

Into the wind went surprisingly well! My BHs flipped up flat from a slight hyzer and flew very straight with just a touch of turn (not much). The these Opto AIRs had a healthy fade at the end. I was not expecting this...but it makes me very happy! I believe when they get seasoned a bit they will fly very straight for me.

I was worried that these thrown RHFH would turn over too much, but alas they were very workable. Into the wind they did turn (RHFH) but not very much and straightened out at the end to where I wanted them to go.

Distance average was about 300' (not a big arm here), a little more with the tailwind throws though. Overall all about 40' behind my Opto AIR Bolt, and EQUAL to my regular Opto Saint!

I'm not sure if others have had similar experiences with their Opto AIR Saints when comparing them to the regular Opto. It looks like for me they are very workable in the 280-320 range and very predictable for accuracy.

Thumbs up Latitude 64 for putting out yet another quality disc!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajames View Post
Just gave my Opto AIR Saints a field test today...

Two 155, Red-Orange, Opto AIR Saints. These may have a slight more dome than my 167-168 Optos and most definitely more than my 166-169 GLs.

I threw them today with about 15 mph wind at my back and front along side my regular Opto saint.

Tested them both RHFH and RHBH. I have a little more D with my FH on average for all discs.

Into the wind went surprisingly well! My BHs flipped up flat from a slight hyzer and flew very straight with just a touch of turn (not much). The these Opto AIRs had a healthy fade at the end. I was not expecting this...but it makes me very happy! I believe when they get seasoned a bit they will fly very straight for me.

I was worried that these thrown RHFH would turn over too much, but alas they were very workable. Into the wind they did turn (RHFH) but not very much and straightened out at the end to where I wanted them to go.

Distance average was about 300' (not a big arm here), a little more with the tailwind throws though. Overall all about 40' behind my Opto AIR Bolt, and EQUAL to my regular Opto Saint!

I'm not sure if others have had similar experiences with their Opto AIR Saints when comparing them to the regular Opto. It looks like for me they are very workable in the 280-320 range and very predictable for accuracy.

Thumbs up Latitude 64 for putting out yet another quality disc!
Interesting, as I too have 2 identical 155g red-orange opto air Saints, and your description of them fit mine to a T, even the typical distance range. I don't throw them real hard, they respond better to snap and spin.

One of the straightest discs I have ever thrown, with a dependable very slight fade, and can also do sweeping hyzer drives extremely well. Same experience as you into a headwind too...surprisingly controllable and still staying pretty straight. I also have a reg opto at 165g, sparkle blue.

As you said, control and accuracy are the key attributes for the Saint, along with a little better distance than other fairway class drivers. This disc is a winner, IMO, and is going to wind up as a real workhorse for me in the 'control driver' slot.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Interesting, as I too have 2 identical 155g red-orange opto air Saints, and your description of them fit mine to a T, even the typical distance range. I don't throw them real hard, they respond better to snap and spin.

One of the straightest discs I have ever thrown, with a dependable very slight fade, and can also do sweeping hyzer drives extremely well. Same experience as you into a headwind too...surprisingly controllable and still staying pretty straight. I also have a reg opto at 165g, sparkle blue.

As you said, control and accuracy are the key attributes for the Saint, along with a little better distance than other fairway class drivers. This disc is a winner, IMO, and is going to wind up as a real workhorse for me in the 'control driver' slot.
This is good to hear! I sometimes worry about consistency issues within a mold. But the Saint in all of its forms is solid as a rock.

Could be why I have more Saints than any other disc. Well maybe not as many as the River
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
I am interested in the Opto Air Bolt. How would these fly for someone who is getting just a little over 300 feet? Is it still to much disc for a noodle arm?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw View Post
I am interested in the Opto Air Bolt. How would these fly for someone who is getting just a little over 300 feet? Is it still to much disc for a noodle arm?
I have 2 opt air Bolts, and am not very impressed. Too understable, even at the 300 ft distance you mention. Useless in the wind, any kind of wind. Hard to control, period.

Regular weight GL's are the best, still understable, but not too flippy, and VERY long. Also very easy to throw for a wide rimmed driver. A noodle-arm distance enhancer, have no doubt.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Thank you. I will look into a regular bot to try out first.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw View Post
Thank you. I will look into a regular bot to try out first.
Bolt may work, but you may want to stick to something a little slower like the Saint. I throw Saints 350ish golf distance and 400ish ft. in the field, and am only just starting to get proper flights out of the high speed stuff. The bolt is understable, but it's still speed 13 and as such, unpredictable at your power level. Work on the slower stuff.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
Bolt may work, but you may want to stick to something a little slower like the Saint. I throw Saints 350ish golf distance and 400ish ft. in the field, and am only just starting to get proper flights out of the high speed stuff. The bolt is understable, but it's still speed 13 and as such, unpredictable at your power level. Work on the slower stuff.
Good advice...but I will say, the GL Bolt is very easy to throw long, which is what he says he's looking for. It also has that River-Flow glide, which is a big plus.