Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
You prefer the Vector to the Wasp or Hornet? I see it's the only non Discraft mid you carry. I love Discraft mids--I throw Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, and Hornet. "Sacrificial." Ha. I've got a Pro D just for that, too.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
You prefer the Vector to the Wasp or Hornet?
Not necessarily. My Vector was relatively domey and the flight was comparable to a seasoned Hornet or a newer Wasp. After a while I came to dislike how hard the Proton plastic is so I pulled it. I'm curious to see how the Neutron Vector comes out, but it's not something I'm dying to try. There's a lot of good mids out there
Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
I've settled on a D Zone for my sacrificial disc. It's superior (for me) to the others I've used. It's not crazy stable like a D Drone, but it's not flippy like a Buzzz. I can throw it into a headwind, sidewind, or tailwind without the flight changing very much.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Fall is here More bag revisions have been made.

Destroyer: 175 Star - stiff, domey, overstable
Destroyer: 171 Champ - domey, some turn, some fade
Destroyer: 171 Star - soft, flatter, flippy
Wraith: 175 Star - seasoned, all kinds of workable
Nuke: 167 X - glidey, understable, long

Predator: 171 Z - flat, gummy, overstable
Eagle-X: 175 Star - gummy, small flat dome, fading fairway
Teebird: 175 Champ - small dome, stable, mild finish
JLS: 175 S - small dome, slightly understable, very controllable
JLS: 168 Q - domey, beat, flippy
Roadrunner: 171 Echo Star - fliptastic

Drone: 179 FLX - mega overstable mid
Wasp: 177 Ti - testing 'er out, not sold on it yet
Comet: 179 Z - soooo neutral
Ghost: 179 Gravity - seasoned

Aviar: 172 Yeti - overstable drives and approaches
Aviar: 172 DX - stable driver and long putter
Aviar: 170 DX - understable driver and main approach disc
Aviar: 172 KC Pro - putts

The biggest surprise to me has been the Comet. I absolutely love it. Amazing disc for smooth anhyzers and flat straight shots. I used to throw a lot of hyzer flips with my Meteor, but the Comet is much less sensitive to speed and wind. It's easy for my brain to picture the line and put the disc on it. There's no guess work.

I briefly fell in love with the Yetis but oddly they have a significantly wider diameter than KC Pros and they are a bit faster and don't drop as fast. All of those factors conspired against my putting game, but they actually work nicely for driving, and they still have great grip and feel, so I converted them to my stable driving putter. They stand up to a pretty stiff headwind on shots inside 250' and maintain their height pretty well on low line drives.

The JLS's have replaced the Eagle-L and flippy Teebird for now. They have a nice blend of slow turn and mild fade and a lower cruising speed that make them feel more controllable in the 300'-350' range.

Another notable is the Ghost. I was a little leery of the Gravity plastic but it's wearing nicely and it doesn't suffer from the slanty rim issues that current DX Rocs do. I've crushed it into a few trees at about 50' off the tee and skipped it off pavement a few times and it hasn't creased or taken any chunks out yet. Visually, you could hardly distinguish it from a new disc, but it's picked up some turn. Pops up from a hyzer and rides straight or tracks right on flat throws nicely. Wooooooooo
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
I know this question isn't helpful for your bag but...do you throw stock star wraiths? I've been considering the mold but I don't want to get into searching for collectors discs.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Yep. Star, Champ, Echo Star, Pro; I've got one or more of each. They've got a nice combination of distance and control. I haven't bought a new Wraith in a long time, but I like 'em with a medium dome and a regular PLH. Seasoned up a bit they're one of the easiest distance drivers to force into a late turn for me so I can control the finish more than a Destroyer.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Angry Crack

Super windy and a bit chilly today; I was throwing this setup...

Star Destroyer x2
X Nuke

Z Pred
S PD
Star Eagle
Star Teebird
Star JLS
Champ Sidewinder
Echo Star Roadrunner

Drone
Vector
DX Roc
Gravity Ghost
Z Comet

Yeti Aviar
DX Aviar
KC Pro Aviar

...and I cracked my first disc ever today . Hole 5 @ BRP; DX Aviar into a tree 150' up the fairway. Since I've hit trees harder with it in the past, and it's a fairly new disc (tournament stamped for August 2012), I was pretty surprised. The temperature was around 45, the air was very dry, and there was a 30 mph left to right crosswind. Here's hoping I don't crack more of them this winter

The Ti Wasp was a disappointment. The feel of the plastic isn't great and it's not that beefy so I pulled it. Threw my domey Vector and a DX Roc back in. The Vector is more overstable, and the Roc feels better and flies nearly the same as the Ti Wasp.

The Comet and Gravity Ghost really sail in a tailwind.

I've strayed from the minimalist approach with my control drivers and mids, so there's quite a bit of overlap in there, but they all feel good in my hand right now
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Self congratulatory post warning. Finally got around to playing my first tournament on Saturday with the above setup. Won Advanced by a wide margin and would have been 2nd in open going into the final 9. Played like ass in the final 9 but so did everyone else. There was a little gallery watching. Was lots of fun
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 49
Congrats on the tourney victory! I wish I had a gallery I did have a question, why the Eagle and the Teebird. Is one just more beat than the other so it's a better line shaper or does the Teebird/Eagle do something the other just can't?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Congrats on the tourney victory! I wish I had a gallery I did have a question, why the Eagle and the Teebird. Is one just more beat than the other so it's a better line shaper or does the Teebird/Eagle do something the other just can't?
They're both relatively fresh. The Eagle has quite a bit more LSS so it's easier to range on hyzers and flexes out of anhyzers better. I primarily throw the Teebird for long anhyzers since it doesn't want to pan out but it won't flip either. There is a good bit of overlap in the PD/Eagle TB/JLS lineup I'm currently carrying, but I like 'em all.