Courses Played: 22
Thoughts on the 2013 Rule changes?

PDGA forum thread, including a link to the new rules and a summary of changes:

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=36529
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
Thrower can't call stance violations and there is no time limit. So no more mulligans. This is a very good edit.

Also no more penalty for carrying illegal equipment. Makes sense. The penalty really should only apply to using illegal equipment. What harm is there in carrying it?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post

Also no more penalty for carrying illegal equipment. Makes sense. The penalty really should only apply to using illegal equipment. What harm is there in carrying it?
I actually don't like this change. If a player carries an illegal disc, his card mates has to watch what disc he throws each an every time, to make sure he isn't using the illegal one.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
I actually don't like this change. If a player carries an illegal disc, his card mates has to watch what disc he throws each an every time, to make sure he isn't using the illegal one.
Well, you are supposed to watch his throws anyways. But it is a reasonable objection.

Personally I think the simplicity and practicality of the rule wins out against the outside chance of this happening, though.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Birdie Member

There is a difference in watching his throws, and watching what disc is used. I've seen players with bags consisting of only white discs, if one of them is found out to be illegal, how will I know if he's throwing that, or one that looks like it? In the old rules it doesn't matter, because it's illegal to carry it. And even though we don't check each others bags for illegal discs at the start of a round, there is still a penalty, if one is spotted at some point. Now, the player can just say, "Well, I haven't thrown it"
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Birdie Member

As I've pointed out in the PDGA thread also, I don't like that you don't need a second, if a violation only results in a warning. If one player calls a foot fault, but the other players disagree, there is nothing they can do, the warning still stands. That rule is just begging to be misused by players who like to play head games.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
As I've pointed out in the PDGA thread also, I don't like that you don't need a second, if a violation only results in a warning. If one player calls a foot fault, but the other players disagree, there is nothing they can do, the warning still stands. That rule is just begging to be misused by players who like to play head games.
Personally I am just sad that I cannot use it against you on Saturday.

But yeah, I was a bit surprised by that one. On one hand I like that it does not take two to call it for a warning. But as you say, that is quite prone to misuse.

If the rest of the group agrees that one player is misusing it, that player could face disqualification by the TD, though.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Birdie Member

I agree that obvious misuse could lead to DQ. But I still think there is an issue with wrong calls, not needing a second, even if they are not made deliberately. But then again I have the same issue with a single official being able to overrule the group
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
The rules already state that the the player can carry a cracked or broken disc if he announces that it is just his intention to carry it. Unmarked discs only result in penalties from being thrown. The only "illegal" discs that will become carryable are those that are illegally modified, too heavy, or not approved for use. I think you'll be able to tell if he pulls out a turbo putt or a wheel.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Birdie Member

You can only carry cracked and broken discs, if it happens to break during the round. If by chance someone spots a player with an illegal disc, the person carrying it can just deny having thrown it. But really,how can you tell if the player has? It's much more enforceable to have it be against the rule carrying discs that you are not allowed to throw.