Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRZ001 View Post
Unfortunately, "target" is not defined in section 800. But, in play, there are only two targets, the basket, and a mandatory in certain situations, so if the disc was not thrown 2 meters, and it was not thrown towards the hole's basket or mandatory, I would not consider it a practice throw.
The rules also refer to "object targets", since you can play on an object course. Not in definitions, but in "holing out". I assume this is the reason the practice throw refers to "a target", not "a basket", and uses "a" instead of "the" to cover a throw at any basket/object target, not just the one on the hole you're playing.

I'm not sure about this, either as the rule's intent or the most reasonable way to read the rule.....but have always assumed that's what it meant.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
... and here I was thinking the proper way to call out a rule violation was, "Hey @$$hole! You can't do that."
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The rules also refer to "object targets", since you can play on an object course. Not in definitions, but in "holing out". I assume this is the reason the practice throw refers to "a target", not "a basket", and uses "a" instead of "the" to cover a throw at any basket/object target, not just the one on the hole you're playing.

I'm not sure about this, either as the rule's intent or the most reasonable way to read the rule.....but have always assumed that's what it meant.
But can we agree that you should not be able to practice your putt or throw against something just because its less than 2 meters away - even if its just a wall, tree or something else?

That would require "a target" to mean something more than the actual goals/holes/targets on the course.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
But can we agree that you should not be able to practice your putt or throw against something just because its less than 2 meters away - even if its just a wall, tree or something else?

That would require "a target" to mean something more than the actual goals/holes/targets on the course.
If target's not defined (isn't this what the glossary at the front is for?), this is my first reading, also. Not just the basket. But any time you're aiming at something (as for practice).
Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
The problem with the loose definition of target is, that it becomes near impossible to not break the rule. About the only thing you can do with a disc in your hand is throw a competitive throw. Even with a more strict interpretation, the wording of "a target" instead of "the", it can still be problematic. dumping your disc backwards towards your bag on the tee-pad, might be in the direction of the previous hole's basket.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 106
I throw an f-bomb at the top of my lungs right as they are throwing. People don't like to play with me for some reason.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
The problem with the loose definition of target is, that it becomes near impossible to not break the rule. About the only thing you can do with a disc in your hand is throw a competitive throw. Even with a more strict interpretation, the wording of "a target" instead of "the", it can still be problematic. dumping your disc backwards towards your bag on the tee-pad, might be in the direction of the previous hole's basket.
Agree. Which is why I think it should be worded more like "With the clear attempt to practice play" or something to that effect - and remove the target bit. Fair play rule takes care of the rest.
It is already implicitly treated as such, seeing as noone is being called on short dumps to the bag, anyways.

Either way it comes down to a group decision in the end.
Theres no need to mix in a debate over what "a target" means.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 24
I don't see a problem here. It's very obvious to me what a target is. A basket, a tonal, an object target, or a mando. Considering anything else a target would just be silly rules lawyering. You guys are thinking way too hard about this.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giv'r View Post
I don't see a problem here. It's very obvious to me what a target is. A basket, a tonal, an object target, or a mando. Considering anything else a target would just be silly rules lawyering. You guys are thinking way too hard about this.
Imagine we are playing a object course. The targets are trees.

By your definition I would be fine to do 1.99 meter putts at the tree right next to the target and that would not be a practice throw.

Just to play devils advocate here

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
good to know