Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 AM

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
My Grip. Suggestions?

Below are 3 pics of my grip. I'm the guy that loves throwing everything 10-15 feet right. A video is forthcoming, but for now I'm wondering how my grip looks. Any suggestions?

http://imgur.com/a/T9vux

P.S. That's a Star Katana, but I don't throw it. My main drivers are: Leopards, Teebirds, and Sidewinders
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 245
move your thumb a little more towards the middle of the disc and try to grip with the pads of your fingers rather than your finger tips and you have a power grip..almost like you're holding a pencil or a fork (with the disc removed)
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
move your thumb a little more towards the middle of the disc and try to grip with the pads of your fingers rather than your finger tips and you have a power grip..almost like you're holding a pencil or a fork (with the disc removed)
That^
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 7
It looks like you don't have your thumb "forward" enough to me.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ttoripit.shtml
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
Like others have said, your thumb position is bad. You need to place it where it can directly oppose the upward grip pressure of your index finger. Right now it's pushing down into the joint of your index finger (like a fan grip), when in fact you want it to pinch near the tip of your index finger, through the flight plate (power grip!). That way you can hold on to the disc harder, force a better disc pivot, and get more speed and spin on your shots.

Also, showing us your grip on a disc that you don't use with max rim width isn't helpful. Your grip might actually look ok on a Roc or putter because the rim is so much thinner and the thumb pressure would be in a slightly better position relative to your index finger.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
Move the thumb as stated. And if your throwing right (grip-locking) try a 3 finger power-grip. If that solves the problem, then basically your pinky was holding on too long. I throw 3 finger for control and 2 finger for max distance. I switched almost two months ago and haven't looked back. Massively increased my control and distance.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 12
i throw 3 finger with my thumb in the same position as your current grip. if you like it do it.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
I went out today and altered my grip according to what people suggested. Nothing changed. I still just ripped every drive to the right and made a fool of myself. Of the 18 holes I played, I hit the first tree on the right 7 times. I think it might be time to find a new hobby
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
A good grip is just one part of the throw. Moving your thumb into a better position isn't going to make you hit your line every time, but not moving it will limit your grip strength. If you feel like you're making a fool of yourself, perhaps it is time to move on. Before you give up though, you could post a video and get some more constructive analysis.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky926 View Post
I went out today and altered my grip according to what people suggested. Nothing changed. I still just ripped every drive to the right and made a fool of myself. Of the 18 holes I played, I hit the first tree on the right 7 times. I think it might be time to find a new hobby
More importantly you missed the first tree on the right 11 times. Think of these and what you did differently. This game is so mental its not even funny. If you are thinking about the missing the tree, You will be almost guaranteed to hit it. Just stay positive and have fun. I was terrible when i first started. It gets better FAST, especially when you are taking the right steps and seeking advice from people who are better than you. Enjoy it, its a game after all

-Eric