Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Default Some player ranking statistics and thoughts on course design

I played a course today that I feel was not designed with me in mind. I suppose that's okay, I didn't pay for the course but it would be nice if courses were set up to be fun and challenging for as many skill levels as possible.

Several of the holes featured a combination of length and tightness such that a 3 was out of the question, a 4 would have been good for me and a 5 was most likely. While it can be argued that par is just a number and doesn't matter, these holes were so difficult for my skill level that they were frustrating and not fun. It felt like these holes were designed to be challenging for a 900+ rated player and I'm far from that.

It got me thinking, how much should average player ranking be considered when designing courses? Should courses be set up to suit the skill level of the largest selection of rankings?

44,700 ranked players

>1000 .003%
950-1000 7.9%
900-950 30.5%
850-900 32.5%
800-850 16.2%
750-800 6.7%
<700 6.0%

61.5% of ranked players are rated under 900. Of course that doesn't count those who play and are not ranked.

What I'd most like to see would be holes set up with a tight/difficult line that would lead to a birdie if hit and a safe/easy line that can only give you a par. Let the better players go for the birdie and let me work towards that while I take my safer par.

Just want to get some conversation going..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2016, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 166

I think you might be jumping the gun as in my experience there are far more rec level pitch and putt courses than pro caliber courses. New designs largely depends on a number of things, I'll assume you are talking about public park courses. Are there any other local courses and what are those like? Ideally new courses would provide variety from the other existing courses. Often times multiple tees can cater to the majority of players fairly well. Whether that is ideal or not or even an option for a particular park/course is another question. When you have people playing different layouts that can sometimes cause course flow issues and other conflicts.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH

I agree with SW22. A pro course can easily accommodate a rec tee layout and allow everyone to enjoy it. A short & tight course aimed at 850 rated players, however, will not offer as much to the same spectrum of players. I personally would like to see more challenging courses installed, but that's probably bias on my part. I'm not a fan of short, tight "birdie or die" courses.

Also par is relative. You could have 2 different "pars" on the same layout. i.e. Pro par is 54 and Am par is 58. Determine what par should be for your skill level, and just roll with it. Forget what the sign says.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 202

Again with the par consternation. Play the course, count your strokes, play again and try to beat it. If par is bothering you, play the local 2200 ft high school field course....most areas have one. Bonus...they are usually not very crowded.
I want to be challenged. I play myself and the course. A long tight hole is a challenge, I relish the opportunity to test my mettle against tough holes.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
...it would be nice if courses were set up to be fun and challenging for as many skill levels as possible.
The best way to do that is to have multiple courses. With thousands and thousands of courses, not every course needs to fit all players anymore. At least not in the well-developed areas.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 52

There are Golf courses that require an established handicap at or under a certain level to be allowed on the course. St. Andrews Old Course is one, Bethpage Black is another. Read reviews and look at course photos. if a course looks to tough for you then don't play it. Or play it going in with mindset that your gonna get your butt kicked and just enjoy the experience... Especially if its one of the biggies like Iron Hill, Idlewild, etc.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 124

Quote:
It got me thinking, how much should average player ranking be considered when designing courses? Should courses be set up to suit the skill level of the largest selection of rankings?
No. Different courses should be designed for different skill levels, so players have a choice and everyone can play an appropriate course.

Generally, any given course works for a spectrum of skill levels---just not all of them. And players have different tastes---I'm a sub-900 rated player who much prefers playing a course designed for players rated 100 points more than me.

Sometimes a course can be set up with multiple tees to suit a wide variety of skill levels. If it can be done without compromising the layout, or having excessively long transitions between holes, great. Otherwise, I'd prefer each course to be the best layout for a particular skill level, or range of them, and give me the choice of which course to play.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 89

Quote:
I played a course today that I feel was not designed with me in mind. I suppose that's okay,
You are setting yourself up for abuse with opening lines like this.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 239

I bet 0.03% of courses are built for 1000+ rated players anyway, if that. The percentage of courses catering to under 800 rated players is greater than 12.7% I can assure you. OP there is a great website that will direct you to the nearest pitch and putt, it's www.dgcoursereview.com you should check it out. No we don't need more chucker courses, thanks for the thread.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
I bet 0.03% of courses are built for 1000+ rated players anyway, if that. The percentage of courses catering to under 800 rated players is greater than 12.7% I can assure you. OP there is a great website that will direct you to the nearest pitch and putt, it's www.dgcoursereview.com you should check it out. No we don't need more chucker courses, thanks for the thread.
I beg to differ. I think that the more chucker courses out there, means people will spread out and less congestion on the better courses...