Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: 36
AM Worlds invite question

I have some questions that I hope can get answered here. I currently play in the rec division and have 207 points this year. I am wondering what qualifies you for the AM Worlds? Do the points that I get when playing in rec count toward qualification for this event? Do I have to play in the AM2 or higher to get points to be qualified?

I am a little confused when it comes to the point system for qualifying.

If anyone has some information that they can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2015, 11:40 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 603
Throwing Style: RHBH
All Am points earned in any division are the same and get added together for the year. I believe you needed 750 points to qualify for an invite to Am Worlds this year. Probably the same minimum for next year.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Bogey Member

I do not think that is accurate. There are a few locals that have made the trip this year and only have close to 400 points. I am just trying to figure out if I should be making plans to attend next year or what I need to do in order to get an invite in the future. I have only been PDGA member for this year and have only been playing for shy of two full years.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.2
Courses Played: 197
It's all here.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntsygamr View Post
I do not think that is accurate. There are a few locals that have made the trip this year and only have close to 400 points. I am just trying to figure out if I should be making plans to attend next year or what I need to do in order to get an invite in the future. I have only been PDGA member for this year and have only been playing for shy of two full years.
Are those acquaintances in an age-protected division (Masters, Grandmasters, etc)? That could explain the lower point total since the criteria is lower for those divisions. Also, it's point total for the previous year, not current point total. So if those players have "close to 400 points" now, that's irrelevant. It's how many points they earned in 2014.

Cgkdisc is correct. All am points, regardless of division, count the same. And it's the grand total for the year that matters. 750 was the minimum points required to get an MA1 invite to this year's worlds and that threshold is probably a fair expectation for qualifying for 2016 Am Worlds. If you're aiming for an age-protected division, the point thresholds will be lower.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 50
When will the minimum number of points be decided for next year’s championship?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
When will the minimum number of points be decided for next yearís championship?
You'd think that would be something that would already be decided, right? So players know exactly what they have to do from the start of the season. But if it's been decided, it hasn't been announced. Last year, the announcement came late summer (end of August to be exact). I would hope if there are any significant changes, they announce it sooner than that this year.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 72
Ideally, they should have been set before the beginning of the year so competitors know what to aim for.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
You'd think that would be something that would already be decided, right? So players know exactly what they have to do from the start of the season. But if it's been decided, it hasn't been announced. Last year, the announcement came late summer (end of August to be exact). I would hope if there are any significant changes, they announce it sooner than that this year.
Indeed, I remember that, which is why I am asking now. Iím looking to play next year and I can probably swing the 750 without a problem. If they decide to up it another 250 points like they did late in the year last year then it will certainly make it difficult for me to find and register for tournaments.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Bogey Member

Reading the criteria, I guess I would be in the 750 point range...even though I play in the Rec division? I will be 40 next year, so the criteria would be lowered due to my age and I could possibly be eligible for the 2017 AM Worlds if I get the minimum number of points for MM1 criteria.