Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM

Default Disc Weight and Plastic Type

So my wife has a 150g DX Leopard and I have a 168gram Champion Leopard... Sad to say but I can only throw mine about 20-30 feet further than hers... Could this be because of the weight or is it that Champion plastic is harder to throw?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcpa View Post
So my wife has a 150g DX Leopard and I have a 168gram Champion Leopard... Sad to say but I can only throw mine about 20-30 feet further than hers... Could this be because of the weight or is it that Champion plastic is harder to throw?

Thanks!
Plastic is probably bigger than weight. Champ is more overstable and probs has less glide. Try to throw hers.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM

Would this cause me to not be able to throw as far though just because its overstable compared to DX
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1

So so so many variables. Throw to throw consistency on your part, plastic differences and grip, disc angle, hand speed with different weights, possible form breaks with lighter or heavier disc depending on the person.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 118

Quote:
Would this cause me to not be able to throw as far though just because its overstable compared to DX
Right. Compare the two discs side by side and id bet the champ might even have a higher wing (referred to as PLH often around here) which would make it more OS/stable vs a lower wing or PLH.

Overstable discs by design want to hit the ground and fade sooner in the flight vs stable or understable molds. Makes for great control but will take away some distance.

Weight is a bigger factor when going +/-20g too so you also might be dealing with that. Possible the 168g has an even heavier actual scaled weight.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 83

Why is it sad that you can only outdrive her by 20'? How far is she throwing? Maybe she is bombing it 300, in which case 320 is pretty good with a leopard.

If she's only throwing 150 and you are disappointed that you cannot crush yours twice that distance, don't look to the disc. The plastic and weight have very little to do with your distance (compared to throwing with good form). Switching from heavy champ to light dx is not going to magically get you throwing 100' further.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Why is it sad that you can only outdrive her by 20'? How far is she throwing? Maybe she is bombing it 300, in which case 320 is pretty good with a leopard.

If she's only throwing 150 and you are disappointed that you cannot crush yours twice that distance, don't look to the disc. The plastic and weight have very little to do with your distance (compared to throwing with good form). Switching from heavy champ to light dx is not going to magically get you throwing 100' further.
I would say she cant throw about 150-200 and I may be driving 230 with it... I'm still fairly new to disc golf... I bought most of my discs in the 167-169ish range since I hear that was a good started point... Its probably a form issue and learning to throw more than anything
Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 113

I have one of the older Champion Leopards and it's pretty much a straight flyer for me. A similar DX one I have turns and burns pretty easily.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40

Quote:
I would say she cant throw about 150-200 and I may be driving 230 with it... I'm still fairly new to disc golf... I bought most of my discs in the 167-169ish range since I hear that was a good started point... Its probably a form issue and learning to throw more than anything
It is technique not the disc.

Read up the form section and post a video for help getting pointed in the right direction the guys in that sub forum are awesome. At that distance no change in disc is going to make a dramatic improvement until you iron out the basics in form.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 53

Sounds like your wife is almost as good as you.