Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHFH
Building a DG Website/Blog

Hey guys just wanted to get some insight on a project that im doing. Im creating a disc golf blog for the area i live in. I plan on doing reviews on discs, courses, and doing some up to date info about whats going on with the sport as a whole. Plan on uploading area course maps, manufacturer flight charts and vids. Its more of just a blog really. What kind of disc golf related areas would you like to read on a blog?

I've already locked down a twitter account and already built the theme. Now i just have to pretty it up with some CSS and insert to content/media.

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Bogey Member

I would really fancy the Disc reviews.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 67
The most important thing you need to do is make sure that whatever you publish is well written. Make sure to inject some personality and keep your readers engaged.

As for content, disc reviews, course reviews and pro tour results are pretty mundane subjects. Disc reviews in particular are very subjective and can vary greatly based on the thrower. If you can pull together a review using multiple viewpoints, that could make it more interesting, but if it's just your observations of how it flies for you, it may not be much use to other players.

The best thing you can do to build some readership is be very active in covering local events. Coverage needs to go beyond just regurgitating results. You should attend the events, follow players, take pictures and even grab a few interviews. You can even throw in some prognostication of upcoming tournaments. Getting out and getting to know a wide variety of people involved in the local scene is key for this.

And don't just focus on the pro division. Branch out to some of the other bigger divisions. People like to see their name in print, if you can broaden your subject base, you get more potential readers hoping for a mention.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowWraith View Post
Plan on uploading area course maps, manufacturer flight charts and vids.
Manufacturer flight charts are fairly useless, IMHO, because not all manufacturers are using the same flight rating system. So the users of your blog would be comparing apples to oranges. I'd recommend linking to a tool that puts all discs from all manufacturers on the same playing field.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
The most important thing you need to do is make sure that whatever you publish is well written. Make sure to inject some personality and keep your readers engaged.

As for content, disc reviews, course reviews and pro tour results are pretty mundane subjects. Disc reviews in particular are very subjective and can vary greatly based on the thrower. If you can pull together a review using multiple viewpoints, that could make it more interesting, but if it's just your observations of how it flies for you, it may not be much use to other players.

The best thing you can do to build some readership is be very active in covering local events. Coverage needs to go beyond just regurgitating results. You should attend the events, follow players, take pictures and even grab a few interviews. You can even throw in some prognostication of upcoming tournaments. Getting out and getting to know a wide variety of people involved in the local scene is key for this.

And don't just focus on the pro division. Branch out to some of the other bigger divisions. People like to see their name in print, if you can broaden your subject base, you get more potential readers hoping for a mention.
You nailed it. I was planning on being out there at all the local events doing some coverage and doing some interviews. I pretty much have the writing down. I just need to populate it. Luckily for me, there are a few tournaments that start this month and was planning on hitting all the divisions.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
Manufacturer flight charts are fairly useless, IMHO, because not all manufacturers are using the same flight rating system. So the users of your blog would be comparing apples to oranges. I'd recommend linking to a tool that puts all discs from all manufacturers on the same playing field.
Thanks for that tool. I didnt even know about that site. Ive always resorted back to all the original flight charts. This will def come in handy.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Another disc site that doesn't get the love that it deserves (because I constantly see threads asking questions that can be easily answered using it) is Disc Golf Sweden's disc database:

http://discgolfsweden.se/english/discar/discar.aspx
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Speaking from some experiences we've had with Rattling Chains, pace yourself. It's easy to come blazing out of the gates with great content, then hit a wall and run out of steam. Stockpile some articles and space them out a bit so you can keep it going. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Speaking from some experiences we've had with Rattling Chains, pace yourself. It's easy to come blazing out of the gates with great content, then hit a wall and run out of steam. Stockpile some articles and space them out a bit so you can keep it going. Good luck!
Yea i normally do that. I like to sit down and have 6-7 pieces ready but normally spread them out over a several week period. Some posts need to be released asap kinda like all the Prodigy announcements that happened at the end of last year.