Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've finally decided to quit my forehand driving.

It's official.

I'm going to give up on this.I don't like to be frustrated when playing Disc Golf and throwing forehand off the Tee does a good job of that.I thought it would make it easier to learn this for certain holes.Well come to find out I'm much better just throwing my anyhzer shot.

I thought it would be fun to learn,but I'm better off just throwing forehand to get out of trouble or for some approaches that require a tight right turn.

Anyone else feel like I do about driving forehand off the Tee?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Ya, I always just torque it too much off the tee. Only use it when I have to and the throw usually does surprisingly good. :-)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 33
Don't start learning to throw forehands by playing disc golf. Buy an ultimate disc and start by throwing forehands while playing catch. Then focus on throwing shots with anny, and hyzer, and straight, still just in friendly short-mid range catch. After that, then try it on the course.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
Don't start learning to throw forehands by playing disc golf. Buy an ultimate disc and start by throwing forehands while playing catch. Then focus on throwing shots with anny, and hyzer, and straight, still just in friendly short-mid range catch. After that, then try it on the course.
this this this this this

i started messing with it pretty soon after i started. it was awful for about 2 1/2 years and i didn't trust it. through practice and using it at times where it gave me a solid advantage i developed it and have a great deal of confidence in it now.

on some shots/courses i could not imagine not having it. especially on pure LHBH hyzer shots when it is windy. let the disc do the work and play the natural fade rather than trying to shape the perfect shot with a less stable disc. a mediocre fh shot will end up much better than a mediocre BH shot on the same line on most courses. just depends on what you need the disc to do and how much you need/want to play the percentages.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Throwing forehand really hurts my elbow. Except for the occasional 'jail' shot, I totally avoid throwing forehand.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM

Courses Played: 7
I got rid of my run-up FH. Now I just one step and release. It keeps me accurate and gives me the flight I need. If you can get it out to 270+ it's still a reasonable drive for most holes and gives you one extra flight line to consider when looking for the least risk most reward line between you and the hole.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Throwing forehand really hurts my elbow. Except for the occasional 'jail' shot, I totally avoid throwing forehand.
Use more wrist. You really shouldn't feel any elbow strain with a forehand throw. I'd recommend giving the ultimate disc a shot like I posted about before. The weird part about forehand that differs from backhand is learning how to spin the disc, over how to throw it. If all your power comes from your arm, it hurts, if you spin it well, you barely have to use your arm at all to throw 300'
Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 45
I started out throwing RHBH and switched to FH after months of practicing BH and then outdriving myself with one nonchalant FH shot. Then I focused mostly on RHFH unless I needed a left turning shot. After hitting some weights (I'm scrawny and needed to pack on some mass), I found that I had even better range with my FH shot, but it was starting to hurt my shoulder. On a whim one day I drove BH across a field and out-distanced my FH drive. I've been throwing RHBH ever since except on holes that I need it to turn right. I just can't get enough torque on my anny to throw backhand. Now that you know my life story...

All of that just to say that, yes, I'm with you. The guy I play with the most NEVER backhands off the tee, but he never beats me in distance or score either.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 27
I can't throw my FH off the tee more than about 50ft and then when I get into trouble out on the course, I can throw it about 125ft from a stand still. If you can figure that one out for me I'd like to know how that happens.

So I'm with you on not throwing it for a drive but if I absolutely need to throw it to get out of trouble I will.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW82 View Post
I got rid of my run-up FH. Now I just one step and release. It keeps me accurate and gives me the flight I need. If you can get it out to 270+ it's still a reasonable drive for most holes and gives you one extra flight line to consider when looking for the least risk most reward line between you and the hole.
brilliant

O.P. maybe you need to focus on disc selection (different discs than your backhand discs )

i use a one finger sidearm(one finger inside one under rim) , get lots of spin alot of control for me .

there are alot more variables with an anny shot , side arming fairway style is much easier