Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks for the suggestions guys,but I think I'm just going to stick with the forehand on my approaches and getting out of trouble shots.

The catch frisbee thing sounds fun,but I don't have any time for that sort of thing.

I've tried the 1 finger grip,but I still find myself turning my wrist over.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Why give up? I have done damage to my middle finger due to forehands, but I wish I could still do it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discwrangler View Post
Why give up? I have done damage to my middle finger due to forehands, but I wish I could still do it.
It's just one of those things that you know will never come to fruition.I can't throw thumbers either.

My Anhyzer drives are 3x better than what my forehands could ever wish to be.So I'm just going to stick with forehands on approaches and get out of trouble shots.

It was fun for a little while though.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Throwing forehand really hurts my elbow. Except for the occasional 'jail' shot, I totally avoid throwing forehand.
i was like this for a few years. over this passed year i forced myself to throw forehand over and over and over (pain pills helped).

i still get some pain but it's MUCH less now. those muscles and tendons have built up and can now take the stress.

my forehand can now go 320-345', 6' off the ground the whole way. i have to struggle to get that kind of distance from my backhand.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 78
Quitting is the easy but...

When I first started playing disc golf I could not throw a backhand. A big hyzer- fade was all I got. The harder I threw the worse it got! I'd seen a lot of players throwing forehand so one day I tried it. My first forehand shot went long (for me), flat & straight! Hey that worked pretty good! Hmm, maybe I'm a FH kinda guy I said to myself. But watching the Pros play very few throw FH exclusively. And when I see casual players throw today I see a lot of FH throwers. Why? I believe it is easier to throw FH (at least it was for me!).
But i knew I needed a backhand throw! Over time I have watched a lot of video, read books, studied different techniques, etc. I have practiced BH a bunch & now I throw BH almost all the time. Recently I watched Avery Jenkins video on FH. He mentioned to keep the palm up throughout the throw. Sometimes I turn my wrist over & the disc does not fly very well! With this one tip I have eliminated that issue. A good turnover BH is valuable but you need ALL shots. I still have a lot of work to do in both FH & BH but I recommend you keep working on the FH! It is a valuable shot.
PS: Quitting is easy! Anybody can do that. It takes a lot more out of you to hang in there & work at it, but I think you'll be better off in the long run!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
I believe it is easier to throw FH
I agree it is easier to learn a modestly decent FH from scratch, enough to get a little success. That's why it is so common among noobs. But it is still hard to get the FH to the point where you can control FH hyzer flips and FH anhyzers and shape all different lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
A good turnover BH is valuable but you need ALL shots.
Similarly, a turnover FH is not exactly the same line as a BH hyzer! So it is definitely worth learning to do both!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHFH
I feel like giving up on my attempts to learn backhand.
Been throwing forehand since I was 5 and backhand is a foreign concept to me.
Life is funny like that.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 62
I've always liked the idea of each shot being a tool in our disgolf tool belt. You can't fix everything with a hammer and you can't execute every shot with just one type of throw. Learning how to throw hyzers, flat and anhyzers both backhand and forehand gives you much more flexibility on the course.

It's perfectly fine if you feel more confident throwing that anny, and in some cases it is probably the better choice, but I don't see any reason at all to totally swear off teeing off with a sidearm. That's like saying, I will never again use a phillip's head screwdriver because I can do it all with this flathead. It may be true, but not necessarily the most efficient way of going about it.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 2
Never give up

Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
I quit my forehand on a monthly basis. Most people think I should quit more often. I say screw 'em. Sometimes even a crappy forehand is the right shot. Just use it selectively.