#181  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
GordEzo GordEzo is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Whistler , 2010 Winter Olympics
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 244
Wizards , Magics

Ok , please lay it down !

Going to order discs and want Wizards and Magics

Rff , chalky dead bears , eraser , g91 , SSS , Evo glo , e-hpp ???????

Ordering from the north side of the border and want to make it worthwhile !

2 of each or 4 of some ?

More for putting than driving , I need to learn how to putt as I'm stepping into tourneys a bit more seriously this year ( hit my first 3 , and I can't putt like everyone else . Even if I hit , I want more consistency )

Not afraid of money , would rather touch but never seen Gateway up here in the Tundra .

And yes , heading back to Washington and Oregon this year , loved Oregon last summer . Would like to keep heading south to Cali this spring , and maybe east of Washington .

Thanks in advance , looking forward to the new season ! Haven't played since new years eve , going to the field !
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 10,078
If you're not sure how you like your putters, I would recommend emailing Gateway and look into a stack of 10 Wizards (not a fan of Magics ). Explain that you're not sure what firmness you want and ask for pairs of different feels. I think it's best to buy Wizards in pairs AT LEAST.

I personally went from OG SSS and across the spectrum until I finally settled back in to firm putters with the G9i. I like the G9i because it's really firm and gives me a much cleaner release while remaining really grabby at the chains. I'm currently putting with my original OG that is pretty soft after 3 years of exclusive use though. Even in the snow it's a little too soft (super grippy though), but I am not going to sacrifice the G9i I've fallen in love with. I can't wait until the snow melts.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 AM
TwoTechnics's Avatar
TwoTechnics TwoTechnics is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monterey/San Fransisco,Ca
Posts: 220
I started with g9i Wizards and worked my way down the chart until I found ones that felt nice and fit my game(mood). I would at least start with, medium flex, soft flex, and super soft. That will get you going.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 AM
worldwide's Avatar
worldwide worldwide is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burnaby BC Canada
Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 224
Gord. there is a stack of gateway stuff at Abbies in Vancouver right now
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 AM
All Day's Avatar
All Day All Day is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordEzo View Post
Ok , please lay it down !

Going to order discs and want Wizards and Magics

Rff , chalky dead bears , eraser , g91 , SSS , Evo glo , e-hpp ???????

Ordering from the north side of the border and want to make it worthwhile !

2 of each or 4 of some ?

More for putting than driving , I need to learn how to putt as I'm stepping into tourneys a bit more seriously this year ( hit my first 3 , and I can't putt like everyone else . Even if I hit , I want more consistency )

Not afraid of money , would rather touch but never seen Gateway up here in the Tundra .

And yes , heading back to Washington and Oregon this year , loved Oregon last summer . Would like to keep heading south to Cali this spring , and maybe east of Washington .

Thanks in advance , looking forward to the new season ! Haven't played since new years eve , going to the field !
If you're "not afraid of money," just get five of everything. Seriously though, Super Soft is probably a good start if you want something firm/rigid but still tacky to the touch. I'd suggest a pair of Super Soft, a pair of Super Stupid Soft, and a pair of RFF (Really Freakin' Flexible) if you like softer putters. If harder/more rigid is your preference, go with Super Soft, Chalky, and G9i. Send David an email explaining your situation, and you can get 5 for $40 or 10 for $70 shipping included via PayPal. Also, the above is true for Wizards, but you wont have G9i or Chalky option for Magics. Welcome to awesomeness.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 AM
All Day's Avatar
All Day All Day is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 931
^^^ david@gdstour.com
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Colt Colt is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Florida
Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 280
Hey guys, I asked Dave about a old mold vs new mold rumor I heard and this is what he said,

"Thanks for the questions and your interest in our products.

Theres no old mold wizard and new mold, we have only made one tool.
there were 2 slight modifications of the original tool right off the bat but nothing that would make the disc taller or flatter.
The shapes of wizards ( well all discs once a tool is built ) are due to the runs, which are effected by a wide range of variables.

theres the polymers blended, the processing set up , which includes ( temp of barrels and temp of mold ( temp of shop) , speed of screw forward and back, pressure of screw forward and back, Clamp pressure ( including machine a disc is run on),,, hold time, humidity, color and so much more, but you get the point.

all of this can effect the way a disc is packed out,,, which effects the shape , surface complexion and flight ( all though the flight of putters is far less effected by these variables than with drivers.). just the look and feel.


if theres a certain disc shape and feel ou are looking for either take a picture of what you like and explain what you want and I can pribabaly get you a small stack of 5 10 that would be from the same exact run ( all wizards are from the same exact tool) people confuse mold with run a mold is a tool,, molding can be a run."
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Kp0c Kp0c is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgauthier View Post
If you're "not afraid of money," just get five of everything. Seriously though, Super Soft is probably a good start if you want something firm/rigid but still tacky to the touch. I'd suggest a pair of Super Soft, a pair of Super Stupid Soft, and a pair of RFF (Really Freakin' Flexible) if you like softer putters. If harder/more rigid is your preference, go with Super Soft, Chalky, and G9i. Send David an email explaining your situation, and you can get 5 for $40 or 10 for $70 shipping included via PayPal. Also, the above is true for Wizards, but you wont have G9i or Chalky option for Magics. Welcome to awesomeness.
I think he said he was Canadian? If so, you have to pay a little extra for shipping, but the deal remain prerty good.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Throwasurge's Avatar
Throwasurge Throwasurge is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 500
I threw Magics and Wizards for a while... an Evo Magic is a little less likely to fade compared to a soft depends on what shot you want. If I was gonna recommend a plastic I really like the material they use for the glow ones, fairly tacky a little soft, and fairly consistent between runs.

Last edited by Throwasurge; 01-05-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
 

  #190  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 AM
thechamp thechamp is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Hey guys, I asked Dave about a old mold vs new mold rumor I heard and this is what he said,

"Thanks for the questions and your interest in our products.

Theres no old mold wizard and new mold, we have only made one tool.
there were 2 slight modifications of the original tool right off the bat but nothing that would make the disc taller or flatter.
The shapes of wizards ( well all discs once a tool is built ) are due to the runs, which are effected by a wide range of variables.

theres the polymers blended, the processing set up , which includes ( temp of barrels and temp of mold ( temp of shop) , speed of screw forward and back, pressure of screw forward and back, Clamp pressure ( including machine a disc is run on),,, hold time, humidity, color and so much more, but you get the point.

all of this can effect the way a disc is packed out,,, which effects the shape , surface complexion and flight ( all though the flight of putters is far less effected by these variables than with drivers.). just the look and feel.


if theres a certain disc shape and feel ou are looking for either take a picture of what you like and explain what you want and I can pribabaly get you a small stack of 5 10 that would be from the same exact run ( all wizards are from the same exact tool) people confuse mold with run a mold is a tool,, molding can be a run."
When they changed to the large circle tooling or when they changed from the large circle to the small circle Dave said they made the flight plate slightly thicker so they wouldn't clover as much. Believe it or not some people were upset about wizards clovering. I think that was on the PDGA board around 2007 or so, I might try to find the quote.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.