Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM

When to use Mid Range over a putter.

Hey guys, I have 3 d challengers and 1 ct challenger. For Mids I have 3 ti buzzes ( I cycle these because I lost my old x buzz, and buying a brand new one sucks). and 1 ti Wasp.

I have noticed increased approach accuracy with my challengers, over my buzzes.

I also utilize the buzz off the teebox.

When do you use your mid to approach over your putter? How close, is too close to use a mid? How far, is too far, to throw a putter?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
I rarely approach with my mids. My putter is both my approach and putter in one. I use my mids off the tee for low ceiling or when I need am s curve at around the 250' range. Occasionally if I find myself in a long approach with a low ceiling or a tree I have to get around, I'll use my mid, but lately I've been playing less wooded courses so my drive is likely to get closer to where the putter will work.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Generally, you should throw the slowest disc you can for a given shot. I throw my putters for everything 300' and in UNLESS the shape of the shot dictates otherwise. E.g. at my home course there is a 280' hole where the disc can't get more than 10' off of the ground and needs to fade at about 200' and head signifantly left. Here a stable mid or fairway is better than a putter. If you need to throw a mid for shot shape then do it otherwise throw a putter.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 21
Low ceiling vs high ceiling is the biggest factor for me (for driving). If I have space to air it out a bit I'll pick my putter 9 times out of 10 - mids come out for the same distance if I need to throw it low.

I'll use a Drone for approaches if the shot calls for it...flexes, grenades, short thumbers, skips, things like that. Utility shots so to speak. Otherwise I always approach with a putter because they more often than not stick the landing better and they're easier to judge distance on.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clard View Post
Generally, you should throw the slowest disc you can for a given shot. I throw my putters for everything 300' and in UNLESS the shape of the shot dictates otherwise. E.g. at my home course there is a 280' hole where the disc can't get more than 10' off of the ground and needs to fade at about 200' and head signifantly left. Here a stable mid or fairway is better than a putter. If you need to throw a mid for shot shape then do it otherwise throw a putter.
So you condone my addiction to the challenger? Sounds great!

I've never thought of it that way, as far as "you should throw the slowest disc you can for a given shot." I definitely must adapt this mentality
Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHFH
Like has been stated above, ceiling and the width of the line have a lot to do with it. Especially if you need a weird line.

I'll approach with a trident if I need a good hooking skip or if it has to stay very very low. But I usually use the disc that bears both the Mid Range and Putter names, the Harp.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 AM

When i started playing, I only had a Valkyrie and an aviar. I got used to approach shots with putter no matter the distance. That's why when I started getting a little more serious I had to learn uses for mids. For the courses I was playing I never found them necessary. Now that ive learned more, I've learned the error of my thoughts. However I think it taught me to hone in my putter skills
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
The better I have become, the less I use mids for approaches. I used to use mids for all my approach shots and carried 6 of them for all different types of shots. In my last 3 rounds, I used my Panther once, my Roc twice and I haven't used my Suspect once, (yes, I'm a nut like that who keeps track of how many times I use a disc, it helps in knowing what I need to carry and what can dropped).

The only time I use mids for approach shots now is if I don't have the height, the wind is up, or I need to cut some funky line I can't do with a putter.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 57
I used to approach with a Buzzz, pretty much for anything that wasn't a putt, years ago. They just don't fly that well over short distances. I use my mids for what I used to use fairway drivers for, tee shots and second drives 230-300 depending on the height/line/etc.

I do break them out for shorter distances when I need to flick or specific lines. Comets get used for some short BH shots if I need the glide or a 'frisbee toss' throw.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Low ceiling vs high ceiling is the biggest factor for me (for driving). If I have space to air it out a bit I'll pick my putter 9 times out of 10 - mids come out for the same distance if I need to throw it low.
This is basically how I handle it, too. I find that I can get my mids out further on a lower line. I can crank my putters out there pretty well, but they need a little more height.