Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 PM
* Condor Member *

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Gateway HPP Plastic.

I have yet to throw HPP (High Performance Polymer) and, from what I am reading, I imagine it to be almost like a Mix between G-Star and Champion plastics. Would this be a fair assessment? Are there any plastics on the market like it?

I have also read the firmness of these varies greatly. Is there any method to this madness, such as mids are more gummy and drivers are more firm? Or is it completely random? Or does firmness not vary at all?

Finally, durability wise, it is more durable than the E-series? As durable as a champion/opto type plastic? Star? ect...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 22
All your questions will be answered tomorrow
Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 PM
* Condor Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared_Discless View Post
All your questions will be answered tomorrow
This is true.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

They don't even make straight HPP anymore, do they?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 AM
* Condor Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-it View Post
They don't even make straight HPP anymore, do they?
It's Evolution HPP I am talking about. Still making that. Don't know if they ever made a non-evolution HPP.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHFH
I throw Magics and Wizards. The HPP putters I've had are generally firm but there are some variations to that. I would rate most of my Evo putters in the "soft" range (if we're using Gateway's scale). That's a misleading term but if you've thrown Gateway, you probably know what I'm talking about. Some of the older blends I have are more in the "SSS" range but odds are if you order a disc in HPP plastic today at random, you'll have a firm disc. As for durability, they are exceptional! If I were to compare it to another plastic you listed, I would compare it to Latitude's Opto blend. I usually have to retire putters after six months or so, but these show little sign of wear and keep the same flight patterns after month of banging chains (and admittedly...sometimes trees). In short, well worth the extra couple bucks if you're looking to get a reliable and durable disc...
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
It's Evolution HPP I am talking about. Still making that. Don't know if they ever made a non-evolution HPP.
Oh, ok. Evolution ranges from ESPish to Champion-like blends. It's durable. In putters it's similar to ESP Flx. They did make an HPP that predated HPP Evolution though.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM
* Condor Member *

Interesting. Thanks All. I received two different discs today. A Slayer that is very firm. Essentially a Star plastic but with just a hint of rubbery feel to it making it slightly less slick.
The Apache I received is basically a G-star. Maybe a touch less gummy than a G-Star. I was unaware of Gateway's inconsistency as I have never ventured Gateway's way until now. Don't think I would ever throw the discs exclusively if I had to deal with an inconstancy problem.
None the less, very excited to give these a try!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Birdie Member

Slayers are very long. Every bit as long as a broken in star destroyer. With gateway discs, especially drivers, you really need to feel them before you buy them.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 10
Yeah with the drivers you have to appreciate that artisan approach, the putters and mids are pretty easy to find regular , but they usually do the E-HPP in a star-like blend that varies some in flex, when they run the clearer discs, it's usually gummier like an opto blend than say champ, it tends to get bought up quick. They also have done the E-Platinum in small batches, (have seen Wizards, new Assassins, and Slayers, don't know if other models were run would really like some mids in this) that has a look and feel between G-Star and old school Z, really durable stuff.