Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Gator and Whippet?

I was wondering if anyone carried both of these molds and why. It can be (and usually is) quite windy where I live and use both of these discs durring most rounds. I have been carrying both for a while and use the whippet mostly for thummers or skip shots FH and BH. The gator I use mostly for windy up shots/chip flicks/BH spike hyzers. Recently I have been trying out a control grip on my whippet and have been moderately successfull shots that I usually use the gator. BTW I have read all 30+ pages of the "are overstable midranges useless" and a few other similar theads, I was just wondering if anyone found both usefull. (the whippet is staying in the bag for thummers no matter what)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 12
Take the gator out for a few rounds and see if you find yourself reaching for it. If the gator can fulfill all of the shots, leave it out.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 36
^I think you meant "if the whippet can"^ Im starting to think it can. Im looking at a stack of new sparkle gators and wondering what to do with them
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 18
I use a star gator for hard finish RHBH shots that need to sit. I also flick it into a headwind ocassionally. I use it at distances of 150' to about 260'. For me it is point and shoot. If hit the right line I can usually park it. It is a really good disc for those shots because of the lack of glide.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 11
i'm interested in this as well. seriously considering going with a combination of comets and either a tensor or long workable mid like a vector, then substituting a slow fairway for both utility and OS mid duties.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 54
I carry a Zone because I would rather power up on a mid/putter than power down on a driver. I find that I'm more consistent that way.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I carry a Zone because I would rather power up on a mid/putter than power down on a driver. I find that I'm more consistent that way.
This
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
I replaced my gator with a whippet. Hard forehand throws with a gator would still turn on me, especially with a little OAT. Not a problem with the whippet.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Yep, carry both have since I started playing again this summer. I am using Gator a lot less since bagging a P3 or Rhyno (sim to Zone). Also bagged a Drone that has taken over the OS mid slot. So basically the Gator is on the way out in favor of OS putter and more OS mid.

Whippet is here to stay tho. It is my go to disc when I need to get around corners without covering too much distance. Also good overhand disc when out in the open.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 1
i have both
champ gator is for low wood ceiling wood shots that need to end left and 200ft side arm flicks with a small skip.
star whippet is for air shots, big spike hyzers, upside down spikes (heard this shot called a scooby and grenade), thrown low to get land bass skips and strong left to right winds.

yes you can use one for another. but i find that they are just different enough to have one of each.