Disc Golf Center
  #1  
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
brettwasbtd brettwasbtd is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Years Playing: 1.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Additions to Bag

I started playing last February (so almost a year) and have played about 30 rounds or so. I am starting to get the hang of things and Im looking to make some additions to my bag.

Currently have:
Drivers
Z Nuke SS - This was one of my first discs (along with my buzzz) and has seen many a tree. It is pretty darn flippy/sensitive and when I get it right I can get it to go about 350 (need to incorporate snap into my throw)
Champ Thunderbird - Basically what I throw on any distance drive because I have nothing else that is reliable. Throwing ~320 max d.
Z XL - I pretty much only use this for rollers at any shot Id use this for I just use the thunderbird.

Mids
Z Buzzz - Everyone loves their buzzz right? Use it for standstill straight shots ~240 can get it up to 280-300 max D with an x step
Z Wasp - Love this disc! Goes about 200-220 before fading out for around 250ft total distance. Can always count on its stability
ESP FLX Drone - Not sure if the flx or what, but this guy is just a total meat hook. Can get it out 175-200 before it just makes a left turn

Putters
Had a soft x challenger but that thing turned into a floppy mess and when I switched to push putting I just couldn't do it so it led me too...
Soft Wizards (7) - Nice and firm, use one strictly for driving/approaches and it is getting pretty torn up. The others are mainly for practice as I carry them for pre-round warmup and only use one during a round.
Classic Blend Judge - Been using this for straight shots under 200 ft

My birthday is next week and I believe I will be receiving some infinitediscs gift certificates I am looking to add new distance OS and stable, fairway understable, some utility distance (flick, firebird), and understable mid

Any general thoughts on what to get? I generally prefer Discraft since I am most familiar. Things I am considering:

X or ESP Force
Z or Big Z Crank
Flick, predator or firebird?
Heat or Roadrunner
Comet or Meteor

I realize the Force is probably a little too much disc to start, but I am fastly working on form and beleive I can be hitting 400 soon. I was also considering a harp or zone, but I feel like the lack of distance on the esp flx drone kinda fills that slot.

thanks for making it this far in my ramblings
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 361
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Flick is a great choice. There probably isn't a better overstable/utility driver on the market. Keep in mind it has zero glide and flies like a saw blade. Pinpoint accurate once you get used to it though. You might also have a look at the Surge or Surge SS. Slower than the Nuke SS, but IMO easier to throw consistently. They'll be noticeably longer than the Thunderbird too.

If you feel like you're gaining strength and really want to move up, get a regular Z Nuke. Great, steady driver. It can touch distances over 400' easily, assuming you gain the arm for it. You mentioned the Crank. It's a good driver as well. If you can afford it, I'd almost get a Z Crank and and a Z Nuke and try them both.

If you want a good, slow, straight fairway driver you might also look at the Stalker.

Thanks: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
brettwasbtd brettwasbtd is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Years Playing: 1.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Flick is a great choice. There probably isn't a better overstable/utility driver on the market. Keep in mind it has zero glide and flies like a saw blade. Pinpoint accurate once you get used to it though. You might also have a look at the Surge or Surge SS. Slower than the Nuke SS, but IMO easier to throw consistently. They'll be noticeably longer than the Thunderbird too.

If you feel like you're gaining strength and really want to move up, get a regular Z Nuke. Great, steady driver. It can touch distances over 400' easily, assuming you gain the arm for it. You mentioned the Crank. It's a good driver as well. If you can afford it, I'd almost get a Z Crank and and a Z Nuke and try them both.

If you want a good, slow, straight fairway driver you might also look at the Stalker.
Ya I like what I have heard of the flick for forehand and thumbers. You say it has no glide, what type of distance could I expect from it? I have heard it listed as a speed 9 all the way up to 12? I used to play baseball and have solid power forehand, just a matter of not rolling my wrist . I can put my thunderbird out to ~300 straight forehand as well.

Ah the Surge, I was also looking at that too, glad you reminded me. Wish I could get all these discs to try them out, but I will either need a larger bag (holds like 11 max) or will have to be selective
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Quinum's Avatar
Quinum Quinum is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wylie, TX
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,588
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

You can't go wrong with a Comet. Great disc.

Thanks: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:15 PM
ilmcgee's Avatar
ilmcgee ilmcgee is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 13
Posts: 1,846
Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Yeah, as a Discraft thrower, its sacrilegious to not have a Comet.

Thanks: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Marmoset's Avatar
Marmoset Marmoset is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Years Playing: 16.7
Posts: 1,200
Thanked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Default

your lineup looks pretty good as it is; what shots do you feel like you are missing or consistently have troubles with? That's a good place to start when considering additions to the bag. I personally wouldn't add discs just for the sake of adding. I'm a fan of learning how to make a few molds do what you want, learn their limitations, then fill in the gaps with other discs. But that's just me. Take that advice for what it is, my opinion.

In response to your suggestions:
If I were using your bag the only thing I'd miss is a neutral-stable disc like the Comet or a speed-stable disc like the Meteor. They can both accomplish some of the same type of shots but the Comet will continue to be neutral as you increase the power while maintaining clean form. The Meteor will be neutral/straight under a certain amount of power but will become increasingly understable as you progress past that threshold regardless of how clean your form is. Either would work well in your setup but the Meteor might make more sense since you already have the Buzzz. The correct choice for you might come down to in-the-hand-feel. FWIW I'm in love with the Comet and would use it to replace the Buzzz. But I'm not you and you gotta go with what works for you.

As far as drivers go, I think you are set. Although I'm surprised to hear that your Z XL is only used for rollers. It must be really beat? All my Z XLs are fairly neutral like a longer Comet. Your ability to hit 400' might come sooner if you learn how to throw your slower stuff further. Worded differently, the skills you learn when you push your slower discs are invaluable and will greatly increase your ability to throw all the other discs. In my opinion this is infinitely more beneficial than finding a really fast new disc that will give you an immediate 10' increase in your distance.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Reniger's Avatar
Reniger Reniger is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,671
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Default

With around 320-350' throwing, I'd really suggest an Undertaker if you're into Discraft. If you grab in in the ~165g range, I would be it would quickly turn into one of your go-to drivers. If you're looking for faster drivers, both the Nuke and Crank are great stable/overstable drivers. The Crank with be more straight with a mild turn as you up your arm speed and have a reliable, but not aggressive fade and the Nuke is just a dead straight bomber with a fairly biting fade. Titanium Nukes are bullet proof and hold their flight characteristics for years and fly much like the gold standard, the Innova Destroyer. Plus, the Ti plastic just feels super nice. I have a 170g Ti FLX Nuke that is just as long as any driver I use, but with the wide wing, it just doesn't feel as nice in my hand as some others I use. Same reason I switched away from Prodigy drivers. I like slightly smaller wings.

With proper form, a 10-speed should be able to reach 400' easily. While my form (as always) is a work in progress, I can stretch my PDs out to about 380' consistently at a 10-speed. So, I'd really suggest looking at something like an Undertaker or Surge if you're sticking primarily to Discraft.

Otherwise, PDs, Wraiths, Thunderbirds, Orcs, Trespass, Swords, CDs, Flows, all great discs. Plenty to choose from!

Personally, I adore PDs, CD2s, and DDx for my main drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 PM
brettwasbtd brettwasbtd is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Years Playing: 1.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
your lineup looks pretty good as it is; what shots do you feel like you are missing or consistently have troubles with? That's a good place to start when considering additions to the bag. I personally wouldn't add discs just for the sake of adding. I'm a fan of learning how to make a few molds do what you want, learn their limitations, then fill in the gaps with other discs. But that's just me. Take that advice for what it is, my opinion.

In response to your suggestions:
If I were using your bag the only thing I'd miss is a neutral-stable disc like the Comet or a speed-stable disc like the Meteor. They can both accomplish some of the same type of shots but the Comet will continue to be neutral as you increase the power while maintaining clean form. The Meteor will be neutral/straight under a certain amount of power but will become increasingly understable as you progress past that threshold regardless of how clean your form is. Either would work well in your setup but the Meteor might make more sense since you already have the Buzzz. The correct choice for you might come down to in-the-hand-feel. FWIW I'm in love with the Comet and would use it to replace the Buzzz. But I'm not you and you gotta go with what works for you.

As far as drivers go, I think you are set. Although I'm surprised to hear that your Z XL is only used for rollers. It must be really beat? All my Z XLs are fairly neutral like a longer Comet. Your ability to hit 400' might come sooner if you learn how to throw your slower stuff further. Worded differently, the skills you learn when you push your slower discs are invaluable and will greatly increase your ability to throw all the other discs. In my opinion this is infinitely more beneficial than finding a really fast new disc that will give you an immediate 10' increase in your distance.
Hmm, now you got me thinking ! I guess my issues are holes with longer dog leg rights and dog legs left.

Dogleg right: I am inconsistent with my forehand when I try to throw long (try to throw harder and wrist roll) which your right is a form issue, not a disc issue. The other day I was playing with friends and the hole had a ton of trees directly in front of the basket in a 50ft by 50ft patch. Had to go around one way or the other but the more open path was the left side. I threw a hyzer with my thunderbird but didn't swing it wide enough (more trees to the right). After we all threw my friend said " here try my banshee." I threw forehand nice and easy to the left and it curved around all the trees nice and landed 15ft from the pin. I also am not very good at backhand anhyzer, so I would like a more overstable fairway or distance for these types of shots

Long dogleg left: sup to about 250 I can just rip my wasp out there flat or slight hyzer and it works out great. Longer dogleg lefts and my thunderbird and XL when thrown that far to fade back much anymore.

Potentially one new more stable disc could take care of both of these using forehand and backhand. I guess I'm looking for stability of the disc to compensate for not being able to throw backhand any or really swooping hyzer? When my nuke SS was fresh I could bomb it forehand as it was much more stable and accomplish the dogleg rights. I really haven't messed around with the XL a whole lot since it and the thunderbird fly very similar.


Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 361
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Ya I like what I have heard of the flick for forehand and thumbers. You say it has no glide, what type of distance could I expect from it? I have heard it listed as a speed 9 all the way up to 12? I used to play baseball and have solid power forehand, just a matter of not rolling my wrist . I can put my thunderbird out to ~300 straight forehand as well.

Ah the Surge, I was also looking at that too, glad you reminded me. Wish I could get all these discs to try them out, but I will either need a larger bag (holds like 11 max) or will have to be selective
I've bagged a Flick for about a decade. It doesn't glide at all, but I can still easily push it out to 340' or so. It isn't quite as overstable as some other discs, but it also won't flip under pretty much any circumstance. Another good decently overstable option from Discraft is the Crush. I like the Flick better myself, but the Crush works well in wind.

I'd just ditch some of those putters if you need more bag room.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM
World Eater World Eater is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Issaquah, Wa.
Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 910
Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Not a fan of the Comet personally. I would go Buzzz SS or Meteor for understable mids if you want to stick with DC. Meteor is much more understable than the Buzzz SS.

Other things I would consider that would fill that gap and help you learn finesse and clean form are the Lat64 Pure (fast, loooong putter) and the Innova Star Mako.

Thanks: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Disc Golf Center

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.