Disc Golf Store
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'd like to know what constitutes a 20+ year old course, that apparently had some revisions four years ago, to suddenly get like seven reviews in the last week. Six people obviously trying to puff up their home course with high reviews, and one who decided it was his duty to post a low review to zero the others out.

I don't think the folks in either camp here seem to realize that what they're doing is detrimental the whole idea of reviewing courses. Rate the course what it is please. Stop trying to game the system, or counteract those who are.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
It's been amusing to me. They're almost all first reviews. They mostly show 1-4 courses played (which may or may not be accurate).

It's as if a group of buddies, relatively new players, just discovered this site.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'd like to know what constitutes a 20+ year old course, that apparently had some revisions four years ago, to suddenly get like seven reviews in the last week. Six people obviously trying to puff up their home course with high reviews, and one who decided it was his duty to post a low review to zero the others out.

I don't think the folks in either camp here seem to realize that what they're doing is detrimental the whole idea of reviewing courses. Rate the course what it is please. Stop trying to game the system, or counteract those who are.
I've been noticing that as well and marking their reviews as not helpful ... if they really felt like it was a 5 disc course, fine, but at least write a good review to support your rating.

I've never played PK, but from what I've heard it's in the 1.5-2.5 range (with more experienced and skilled players rating it on the lower side).

I wouldn't say ridesbrd's review is trying to adjust for the higher rated reviews, but it actually is the true rating of the course ... and if you who ridesbrd is, then you know that he has access to very high quality courses on a daily basis and those courses would make PK look like a 1.5 disc rating.

... and of course as I've never played it, all of my thoughts/opinions on this matter must be taken with a rather humongous grain of salt.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's as if a group of buddies, relatively new players, just discovered this site.
Couldn't this be reality? I know when my buddies and I took up dg almost 4 years ago, we all reviewed the new courses that we played. And since we were all about the same skill level, (newbs) we thought the same way a lot of the time...... Just a thought.....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 242
I removed most of the ones from people that registered recently. Seemed weird.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's been amusing to me. They're almost all first reviews. They mostly show 1-4 courses played (which may or may not be accurate).

A couple of Augusta buddies that are in Athens now, said something about players trying to fluff the rating up a bit to recognize the "work" that park management is putting into it ... although why park management would want to see inflated ratings is beyond me.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I removed most of the ones from people that registered recently. Seemed weird.
Hey! We're not finished talking about them!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm View Post
Couldn't this be reality? I know when my buddies and I took up dg almost 4 years ago, we all reviewed the new courses that we played. And since we were all about the same skill level, (newbs) we thought the same way a lot of the time...... Just a thought.....
Definitely could be. But just a guess on my part. I remember feeling this way, too, and if I'd found this site, I would have told my other just-started buddies about it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 114
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disc...4105368600336/

"Greetings PK lovers. Fast Eddie has been working like a dog to improve PK and it's looking fantastic. He's too busy slaving on tee pads today but wanted me to post this. Two Things: 1.) If you are at pk playing a round or bored pull any "hazard" wood or limbs from the rough into the fairway. Fast will promptly remove them as he rounds there daily. 2.) We are trying to get the PK rating on DG course review a bit higher to show the parks dept the improvements. If you like the improvements than post a good rating there."

Birdie initiative, double-bogey subtlety.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethead326 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disc...4105368600336/

"Greetings PK lovers. Fast Eddie has been working like a dog to improve PK and it's looking fantastic. He's too busy slaving on tee pads today but wanted me to post this. Two Things: 1.) If you are at pk playing a round or bored pull any "hazard" wood or limbs from the rough into the fairway. Fast will promptly remove them as he rounds there daily. 2.) We are trying to get the PK rating on DG course review a bit higher to show the parks dept the improvements. If you like the improvements than post a good rating there."

Birdie initiative, double-bogey subtlety.
good find ... didn't think to look in facebook groups