Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 125
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Of 340 courses played, here are my twelve 5.0 courses and my number grade I assigned for the A+ rating grade. Also included is my rationale for the categories that are important to me.

Code:
aaaaaaaaaa	aaaaaaaa	aa	aa	R/R	RB	SV	NB	MTB
Winter Park	Kewaunee	WI	100	A+	A+	A+	A+	D
Banklick Woods	Independence	KY	99	A	A	A+	A+	n/a
Fox Chase	Albemarle	NC	98	A+	A	A+	A+	B+
Steady Ed	Appling...	GA	98	A+	A+	A+	A	B
Hippodrome	N. Augusta	SC	97	A+	A+	A+	B-	B-
Leviathan	Ludington	MI	97	A	A+	A	A	A
Nevin...	Charlotte	NC	97	A+	A	A	A	A
Campton Hills	St. Charles	IL	97	A	A	A+	A+	n/a
Magnolia	Live Oak	FL	96	A+	A+	A	A	B+
Rogers Lakewood	Valparaiso	IN	96	A	A+	A+	A	C
Standing Rocks	Stevens Pt	WI	96	A	A	A+	A+	n/a
Yadkin County	Yadkinville	NC	96	A+	A+	A+	A	n/a

I am surprised to see Campton Hills on your list. Although I have not been there yet, I have not felt the urge to get out there b/c everything I read previously made it sound like another Chicagoland nasty niner.

Guess I will have to finally make it down there this summer.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
It is indeed a bit of a curveball to include it in there. Read my review (linked) and you will know why I included it and how I justify a 5.0. But you are sorely wrong that it is a typical nasty niner (great phrase btw!). It is a really cool course actually and an absolute blast to play with just a putter. Its the best (highest addiction factor) 9-er of 125 I have played.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 185
^^Campton hills.......IMHO....is just another 9 hole deuce or die chicago area course. I do understand the fun factor of grabbing a couple putters and playing a "fun" round. It does have some elevation that you don't see in northern Illinois, but I personally wouldn't put it in my top 50. Everybody is definitely entitled to their own opinion though. There are no right or wrong answers in this thread.

I would assume you knew people were gonna give you a little scuff about that one though.......
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 125
Quote:
It is indeed a bit of a curveball to include it in there. Read my review (linked) and you will know why I included it and how I justify a 5.0. But you are sorely wrong that it is a typical nasty niner (great phrase btw!). It is a really cool course actually and an absolute blast to play with just a putter. Its the best (highest addiction factor) 9-er of 125 I have played.
I am officially intrigued.

I will make it a point to get down there soon. If you are interested in another round at Campton, let me know...maybe we can work out a tee time. I think there are a few others in the St. Charles area that I still need to play as well.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 715
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Quote:
I could look but I am lazy right now . . . have you been to The Brickyard in menomonie, WI? If not go, if yes, how high does it rank in your 9 holers?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 102
My ratings here are based on the course itself rather than the whole "experience" aspect. While going to a place like Flyboy or Flip on a road trip is certainly nice, I'm looking for a well-designed, challenging course that makes you work for your score that you can't wait to play again ("Thank you sir - may I have another??!!").

#1 - Idlewild. While other courses have a number of special holes, virtually every one here is special. The elevation, the creeks/ponds/island greens with as much OB as you can handle. Clearly defined lines on every hole yet punishing if you miss. The best example of what disc golf design should be in order to be as much of a challenge as ball golf.

#2 - WR Jackson course @ IDGC. So beautiful yet so punishing. Long and difficult but with good lines and a great variety of holes. The stretch of three short holes in the middle of the course makes it my favorite of the three courses on this property.

#3 - Deer Lakes. Great design, some really challenging holes, and the multiple tees provide a nice variety in the degree of difficulty. Tons of fun to play and very rewarding if you happen to score well (which isn't easy).

#4 - Lemon Lake Gold/Silver. Really strong variety in its design, with length and challenging lines which force you to think your way through the course. Extra points for me because of the two courses in one and they are different enough to keep the interest level high.

#5 - Flyboy Aviation. A number of fantastic holes, great use of the land, and a lot of water to play over/around. If there were no restrictions, this could be the top course on my list. But, with the lack of permanent tees, some blah holes added just to get from one great hole to the next great one, I just can't rate it any higher than this.

#6 - Jim Warner course @ IDGC. Also a great challenge. Heavily wooded but with clear lines, and a lot of elevation change to deal with which really adds to both the fun and the pain.

#7 - Trophy Lakes. Water, water everywhere. Two sets of tees, lots of variety in the shots necessary to score well, and then there's the water. If you can play an entire round from the long tees and not get any of your discs wet, then you've accomplished something.

#8 - Mt. Airy. Admitted local bias, but it's such a nice challenge and now that they have added multiple basket locations, it stays fresh for those of us who play it a lot. A real beast when they are all in the longs.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub58 View Post
My ratings here are based on the course itself rather than the whole "experience" aspect. While going to a place like Flyboy or Flip on a road trip is certainly nice, I'm looking for a well-designed, challenging course that makes you work for your score that you can't wait to play again ("Thank you sir - may I have another??!!").

Love the methodology! Afterall, this is not www.ILoveAllTheHardWorkPrivateCourseOwnersDo.com
While I appreciate them a ton and am astounded by what many of them do (I want to be in that category one day myself), that does not in and of itself make a course that is a good test of disc golf skills.....which is the essential element for a course in the sport of disc golf.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 637
OP - you do indeed need to travel more...much more!

PS - Flip City wouldn't even crack my top 10% much less top 10 ordinal. The groupthink about that place on DGCR confuses me! It is indeed a very fun course with a few really technical shots amidst an underwhelming barrage of putter shots and relatively easy hyzer bombs...Giving it a lower rating (4.0) is not IMO an attack on the owner or anything but trying to be fair about what the course is. He has done A TON to make that place awesome for disc golf and I greatly appreciate it!!! There are others who, likewise, have done A TON to host courses for us

I'd put (in no particular order): Maple Hill, Hawk Hollow, IDGC, Stafford Lake, Idlewild, Nockamixon, Tyler, Highbridge, probably many others I'm forgetting about at the moment

+1 on the Campton Hills LOL - Sorry Dave 242

Last edited by cefire; 06-25-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Hey - "best" or favorite is a measure of how much a course has to offer that makes you want to play it over and over and over and over. If Campton Hills was 5 miles away from home and each of the other courses on my list were also 5 miles away, I would find myself going to Campton (with my putter only) around the same amount as the others to get my DG fix. That is how addicting that course is in what it takes to "scratch my itch".

I cannot come up with a better and more meaningful way to rate courses (a very subjective thing including a ton of variables in courses and motivations for playing) into a very objective rating scale. The putter-only caveat is a monkey-wrench in my normal methodology, but the course sets up so perfectly for that that it makes perfect sense to make that allowance. And, no....I really don't care if people disagree with me and give me a little scuff....I expect it.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cefire View Post
OP - you do indeed need to travel more...much more!

yeah, the reason that I made this thread isn't for a pissing contest, more about why did you rate the courses what you rated the courses.. I understand I don't have the travel experience that most folks do but these are my opinions. Dave242... you're a funny dude.