Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #261  
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM
culinarywiz's Avatar
culinarywiz culinarywiz is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattallica View Post
What are the top contenders?
Here is a top 25 in no particular order;

Maple Hill
Flyboy
Renny Gold
Deer Lakes
Moraine State Park
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
Flip City
Leviathan
Phantom Falls (unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to play Magic Meadows or Bucksnort. All indications point to similar good times)
Nockamixon
Iron Hill
Ashe County Park
Burchfield, Devils Den
Blue Ribbon Pines
Trey Texas Ranch - Both courses (I preferred Texas Twist)
Selah Ranch - Both courses quite evenly
Highbridge Hills - All 5 major courses (My top two were Blueberry and Granite, although all were top shelf. Special shout out to Bear...I believe an underrated course)
Mont du Lac - White Cedar was by far the most memorable of the two
Water Works
Severin Lang
Paw Paw - Magic (remember, no particular order)
Pickard Park
Hawk Hollow
Brent Hambrick - My home course. Open 9. Dense 9. Balanced 9. This course is underrated for balance. One round here will expose your skill set.

Always subject to change
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Mattallica's Avatar
Mattallica Mattallica is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarywiz View Post
Here is a top 25 in no particular order;

Maple Hill
Flyboy
Renny Gold
Deer Lakes
Moraine State Park
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
Flip City
Leviathan
Phantom Falls (unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to play Magic Meadows or Bucksnort. All indications point to similar good times)
Nockamixon
Iron Hill
Ashe County Park
Burchfield, Devils Den
Blue Ribbon Pines
Trey Texas Ranch - Both courses (I preferred Texas Twist)
Selah Ranch - Both courses quite evenly
Highbridge Hills - All 5 major courses (My top two were Blueberry and Granite, although all were top shelf. Special shout out to Bear...I believe an underrated course)
Mont du Lac - White Cedar was by far the most memorable of the two
Water Works
Severin Lang
Paw Paw - Magic (remember, no particular order)
Pickard Park
Hawk Hollow
Brent Hambrick - My home course. Open 9. Dense 9. Balanced 9. This course is underrated for balance. One round here will expose your skill set.

Always subject to change
That's a heck or a list. Let us know if/when you narrow it down.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 AM
paulw paulw is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 102
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Lol yep, lots a stellar courses added this year. It gets fuzzy actually putting numbers to these courses as many of them could be interchanged depending on the time of day.
1. Paw Paw
2. Black Jack
3. Hawk Hallow
4. Brakewell - Animal
5. Nockamixon
6. Idlewild
7. Harmon Hills
8. Camp Sankanac
9. Moraine
10. Black Course

Honorable Mentions:
Orange Crush
Iron Hill
Quaker's Challenge
Patapsco
Mt. Airy Forest
Walnut Creek
I've been kicking myself over the last couple of years for having not made a stop in Pittsburgh, how does Deer Lakes not make this list? I played it only a couple times years ago prior to concrete tees and thought it was every bit as good as the majority of these -- is there something I'm missing or is it just a preference thing?

Last edited by paulw; 08-12-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: I can't spel
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I've been kicking myself over the last couple of years for having not made a stop in Pittsburgh, how does Deer Lakes not make this list? I played it only a couple times years ago prior to concrete tees and thought it was every bit as good as the majority of these -- is there something I'm missing or is it just a preference thing?
Deer Lakes is a great course with some awesome holes, but DL has a couple forgettable holes and I didn't particularly like the last two holes. Moraine was much more memorable and better overall IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
jrawk's Avatar
jrawk jrawk is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Deer Lakes is a great course with some awesome holes, but DL has a couple forgettable holes and I didn't particularly like the last two holes. Moraine was much more memorable and better overall IMO.
concur.. also DL has some drainage issues that can make your round very uncomfortable. Some of the holes feel the same.

Here's my list of 6, which is limited to East coast play.

Flyboy
Moraine
Hawk Hollow
Iron Hill
New Quarter
Patapsco

Last edited by jrawk; 08-12-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM
1978 1978 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,899
In no order

Nevin - Cause I made it and its a pretty good course
Iron Hill - long and brutal but mostly fair.
Orange Crush - the whole campus - awesome
Shelton Springs in WA just made my list
Ashe County - great mountain course

Played Idlewild, Moraine and other top courses but didnt really get attached to them.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
paulw paulw is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 102
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Deer Lakes is a great course with some awesome holes, but DL has a couple forgettable holes and I didn't particularly like the last two holes. Moraine was much more memorable and better overall IMO.
Maybe I missed that part -- I would/could say the same about Moraine, I'm not sure Moraine makes my top 3 PA state park courses unless it's also been upgraded in the last 4-5 years and again I'm missing something.

I'm an Idlewild fan though and do not understand on what criteria it's not the top of the list (Flyboy doesn't count -- played it, loved it, it's "closed" so I don't count it . .. ) but again that could just be a preference thing.

The other one that I keep myself over is Maple Hill, I've been in Boston 30 times over the last 4 years and I still haven't played it - someday.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
bhadella bhadella is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,622
Got to play both Deer Lakes and Moraine a few weeks ago. From a design and fairway cutting/implementation standpoint, Moraine is superior. I thought 6 and 10 were great multi-throw holes executed perfectly. Effective landing zones leaving well earned opportunites for clean looks at the second shots. For my likes; Moraine actually has fairways that are a smidge too open/forgiving. Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.
Reply With Quote
 

  #269  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
HeavyCritters's Avatar
HeavyCritters HeavyCritters is offline
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,431
I will wait to post here until after I play Flip City this weekend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.