Disc Golf Store
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
It is indeed a bit of a curveball to include it in there. Read my review (linked) and you will know why I included it and how I justify a 5.0. But you are sorely wrong that it is a typical nasty niner (great phrase btw!). It is a really cool course actually and an absolute blast to play with just a putter. Its the best (highest addiction factor) 9-er of 125 I have played.
Have you played Brickyard in Menominee?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
No......I think harr also asked that. Its way out of my way, but if I ever drive to Minneapolis I'll have to remember to stop by there.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
I've played all 4 corners of the USA. I've played Flip City, Cranberry Park Ct, Beaver Meadows, Pier Park in Portland, Sloterpark in Amsterdam. But there's one course that haunts my thoughts everytime I think about disc golf and that's Deerfield Park in Mt Pleasant MI. You go left, you go right, you go up, you go down. It's tight and technical without being annoying. You have to bring your A game, but not your "magic wand because this is impossible" game. And there is a pond to swim in at the end of 18 with a beach. One day I will travel the 2000 miles to play it again...
Having spent 6 years of college 20 minutes from Deerfield and the rest of my 24 years of life 15 minutes from Flip City I can honestly say I would rather play Deerfield than Flip.

And the rumor is that Deerfield is adding another 18 holes (possibly next summer) that are going to be better than the first 18.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAxDrc View Post
Having spent 6 years of college 20 minutes from Deerfield and the rest of my 24 years of life 15 minutes from Flip City I can honestly say I would rather play Deerfield than Flip.

And the rumor is that Deerfield is adding another 18 holes (possibly next summer) that are going to be better than the first 18.
You just sold me . . . that will be one I hit when driving from Flip City across the state to Bay City!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
For those that have put Nevin in near the top because they love the challenge, they're installing a new course where Swingin DB's is located (near Raleigh/Durham) called Rock N' Rollin Fairways. The rough edges of 7 of the holes were used for the Swingin DB's tourney and from what I saw of the rest, it will be just as tough if not more difficult than Nevin.

There's more than a few 300'+ placement shots to a turn where you have to be in a 30' diamater to even think about going for the green.. IF you can navigate 10' wide gaps for another 200'+ and miss the water sitting 5' from the basket locations.

I haven't been back since but honestly I hope they lightened up just a bit as they went forward.

Last edited by New013; 07-03-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 219
1. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4557 Mont du Lac, outside of Duluth/Superior - Two courses on the property. Both courses have everything. Tunnel shots, crazy elevation, water. Must play for anyone passing through the area. Camping and full bar(with good beer) and grill on site. My favorite of the 190 I've played.

2. Wildcat Bluff, Urbana IA - What Scarpfish said - "Woods, elevation, some water, neat paver teepads, unrelenting rough if you get off the fairway, scenic location."
A great crew is maintaining and always improving the course. Camping on hole 1.

3. Blue Ribbon Pines, East Bethel, MN. - Less than 25 miles from home. Private well maintained course with everything except monster elevation.

4. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1189 Diamond X, Billings MT
Get to drive off a 70 foot cliff. Nough said.

5. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1511 Makoshika State Park, Glendive MT - Set amongst the badlands of Montana. One of the most scenic courses I've played. Not the most difficult or the most variety but a lot of badlands formations to throw around. Great camping on site in Montana's largest state park.

6. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2505 Justin Trails, Sparta, WI - Two well maintained courses on site. Big Bother is challenging course with a lot of shot variety. The Classic Course, groomed to perfection, is a breath of fresh air after Big Brother. Great camping on site.

Honorable mentions:
7. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=748 Sandy Point Disc Golf Ranch - Great private, well maintained, northwoods course
8. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=616 Fountain Hills, AZ - Great winter retreat course...aside from the "reclaimed water."
9. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=386 Highbridge, pretty much the whole place.
10. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3425 Camden II - Like Wildcat Bluff, but in the city
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 34
Resurecting an old thread that I just discovered. I am sure by now almost every course in the country has gotten mentioned by someone and I haven't played that many courses myself but here are my Top 5 (in no particular order)

Sims Park, Euclid OH This is where it all started for me when I discovered that the house we just bought in our new city was only 1/2 mile from this jem. It is right on the shore of Lake Erie on the grouds of Henn Mansion which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Great course to learn disc golf with a nice combination of shorter technical holes and some open holes where you can air it out. Not much in elevation but outstanding views of Lake Erie on several holes. I list it mostly for sentimental reasons but is worth a play if you are in the area.

Punderson State Park, Newbury OH This is a newer course that is still a bit of a work in progress but much progress had been made this year including the pouring of concrete for the Blue & White tees (Reds were already done) and the selective thinning of trees iand brush n the fairways. It just keeps getting better and better. The course is mostly wooded with a lake that comes into play on several holes (keep an eye out for eagle sightings) and elevation changes all of which makes this a challenging, fun and rewarding course.

Lake Shore Park, Ashtabula OH Another course set on the shores of Lake Erie. A beautifully manicured course with gorgeous views of the lake on at least 1/2 of the holes. Add in multiple concrete tees, short & long baskets on many holes, elevation changes and a nice comination of shorter technical holes and longer shots makes this course one of my favorites.

Deer Lakes Park, Tarentum PA This course has been mentioned often by others for a good reason. It is an outstanding course. Tough but fair. 3 tees per hole and multiple basket locations. Love the shot over the lake! I try to play it every time I am back in the Pittsburgh area visiting friends or family.

Seven Oaks, Nashville TN This course is just 15 minutes from my Daughters house so I get to play it every time I visit. Another course that is tough but fair with a nice variety of holes. Don't forget to play the "secret" 3 extra holes.

Honerable Mentions:

Veterans Memorial Park, Parma OH

Tradewinds Park, Ft. Lauderdale FL

Hudson Springs Park Hudson OH

Knob Hill Park, Cranberry PA

I know, I got to get out to more courses.

Rick G
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 106
Mine has changed:
Here is a west coast perspective:
1.) Poli Poli course, Maui HI. This course has a magical feeling when you start playing. There are no cement tees or even regular baskets. This does not matter because you are playing on the side of a volcano in a tropical rain forest. I have never and will never play in a more awesome place the rest of my life.

2.) Delaveaga DGC, Santa Cruz CA. Score does not matter when you play this course because one is so excited to be playing epic DG. I played when the course was completely empty and in championship condition so I will admit to a bias, but this place is freaking awesome.

3.) Milo Mclver DGC, Estacada OR. I had the chance to play Beaver State Fling this year and I was in heaven. I have never played such a challenging and beautiful course. Every time I had a bad shot I stopped and realized that your in heaven so get over it. I cannot wait to go back.

4.) Zephyr Cove DGC, Zephyr Cove NV. My most played course in the Tahoe basin and the biggest place in my heart. There is no course that has kicked my ass so hard by the 18th hole and still have had the biggest smile for miles. There is a good chance that you will play the entire round without seeing another person and your dog can run wild.

5.) Bijou DGC, South Lake Tahoe CA. This is where Tahoe disc golf started an avalanche into one of the most epic DG areas in the USA. 27 holes that will teach you how to hit a tree or carve epic lines. This is what courses should be based off of. My only gripe is that the course gets crowded and the crowds tend to be chuckers.

6.) Toney's Mountain Golf, Grass Valley CA. This is an oasis in the middle of nowhere. I was exhausted after two rounds in one day but I had a huge smile on my face when jumping into the glorious swimming pool. Hole 3 is one of the best top of the world shots I have ever thrown (I've thrown Whistlers bend and Dela). Great destination DG!

7.) Golden Gate Park, SF CA. How does this course stay in the pristine condition? Locals who care and meticulously maintain a course that exists in a town gone crazy. The course layout is perfect, that is all I can say.

8.) Black Mouse, Felton CA. This place gave me a sense of home when I played. I don't know why it gave me that feeling but I believe it is the epic redwood trees that your are playing with. You can play the course with a midrange and a putter but that does not mean you are going to get anywhere near par.

9.) Turtle Rock DGC, Markleeville CA. This is the most under rated course in the Tahoe area (that's because it is one of the most remote). Sagebrush and pines make for a great layout and a challenge to any level player.

10.) Lava Creek DGC, Paradise CA. This is an extreme personal bias because I made all of the benches and tee signs. This is a retreat for myself when I want to clear my mind and see some good people. I love the owners and that is why I donate my time to improving the course. I love this place.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Idlewild (KY) - yeah
Trophy Lakes (SC) - so much water, so much fun
Flat Rock Park (GA) - what Conner said
Circle C (TX) - Hill Country golf at it's finest
Parma (NY) - challenging, beautiful
Shawshank (TX) - totally unique, tons of awesome holes, excellent hospitality

honorable mention:
Redbone Road (MS) - super fun back yard course
Basil Marella (NY) - 18 wooded holes, elevation
Chautauqua (MS) - some amazing signature holes with ridiculous elevation
Cherry Creek (TX) - the back 9 is incredible
Coyote Point (CA) - awesome shots, elevation, views of the lake

local favs (DFW):
Saddle Hills - fun shots, rugged terrain, elevation, legit par 4s
Turner Park - same as above, minus the rugged terrain
McCord Park - the new Houck course, actually not open yet
Harry Myers
Eagle Ranch - oddball, this course is in disrepair and only 7 holes. but i would play it everyday if i lived in that neighborhood

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 114
1. Horse Mountain, Northern CA - Wild secret mountain course with amazing views and top notch golf

2. Birds of Paridise, Miranda, CA - Read my review if you want to see why

3. Whistlers Bend, Roseburg, OR - Lots of great golf along a bend in the river

4. Squaw Valley, Olympic Village, CA - Ride the gondola up or have a nice hike up the mountain to a course that plays super tough. Hole 3 is a 1000'+ downhill monster.

5. Zepher Cove, Zepher Cove, NV - Great views of Lake Tahoe while playing super fun golf

6. Redwood Curtain, Arcata, CA - Playing through giant redwoods, up and down hills this course isn't the longest, but it is very technichal.

7. Youngs Meddow, Northern CA - Secret mountain course requiring a hike in.

8. Tarwater, La Honda, CA - Multiple varieties of terain as you play up and down this course set in the mountains between the Bay Area and Santa Cruz

9. Blue Mountain, Missoula, MT - Playing up and down the hills outside Missoula, this course has lots of great variety

10. Water Works Park, Kansas City, MO - The funnest "park style" course I've ever played. With lots of elevation change and a variety of shots needed.