Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
I had actually meant to ask you if both an Ion and an Anode were necessary. Looks like you beat me to the punch.

I've recently started working with a Cyclone, which often gets described as a slightly slower Eagle. I still have a ways to go with it until it feels comfortable, but it seems to be a very versatile disc. I've already hewn a variety of lines with it in my better moments.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 68
Cyclones would be a great driver to try! What kind of plastic is preferred?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
I just started out in regular ol' D (Discraft's DX equivalent). Want to spend some time with the mold and see if I like it before I upgrade.

I'm pretty new to Discraft plastics, but this thread is helpful for general info, and this thread discusses the relative stability of each type of Discraft plastic. The Cyclone is available in D, X, and ESP for certain; not sure if it's available in Z as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Cyclones would be a great driver to try! What kind of plastic is preferred?
When I asked a similar question in my bag thread, I got ESP and X as a response - carrying both, you can cover a lot of lines.

Eagles: check out the disc profile page on DGR's equipment forum. Basically, X has is slightly concave when you run your finger on underside of rim, L is flat. Go with an X for your purposes.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Eagle Member

So... I've been thinking about picking up some Pro Leopards. I have tried them before and I really liked them, just lost the one I had.

Here are my thoughts on potential drivers:
Cyclones and Leopards: 6ish speed right? My concern with Cyclones or Leopards is, are they going to be significantly longer than my Rocs? I want to work with a fairway driver, not basically a "long mid." I mean, I want a disc that I control, but I am throwing a driver to work with a driver. I remember from working with Leopards in the past that you can keep them quite low and they have alot of glide, both things that would complement my Rocs. Gazelles are basically Innova's variant of the Cyclone, and I assume Pro Leopards and ESP Cyclones are gonna be easier to find than good Gazelles (KC Pro right?). Also I think I prefer a driver in Pro to ESP right now.

TeeBirds: Enjoyed my time with them, someday I'll revisit. Right now, I think I want a disc that naturally has more turn. I liked the speed, I'm not positive that the disc felt the absolute greatest in my hand, but I really did like the control. Also, DX plastic wasn't my favorite for a driver.

Eagles: I'm intrigued. They have turn and fade, which would be fun to work with. But, from everything I've read they are faster than TeeBirds, which were plenty fast for me. I mean whats the speed difference between this and a PD? These are fairway drivers for alot of people, but I'm not throwing anything over 300 yet, wouldn't I want something a little slower?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Eagle Member

Picked up a pro leopard yesterday and played a round with it. It was heavier than what I was hoping. (175), but it worked great. Love the plastic and the way the mold feels in my hand. Now I'm gonna try to pick up a few lighter weight ones to work with as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Bogey Member

@Bardu-read through the thread and its inspired me to "disc down" and work on form with Rocs and I'm going Aviars (they are cheap and available). I'm about to enter my third year of disc golf but I've been really serious for like 9 months about improving. Keep it up!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Good luck! I am in the middle of my second year, and I still feel like I have a long ways to go. Aviars will be a great choice. I wish I could settle on a baseline putter, too. Don't get me wrong, I love the flights of my MVP putters, I just wish they weren't premium plastic.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Bogey Member

True that! I like the options Aviars bring to the table. They come in variety of variations/plastics that almost any shot is covered. Probably going to look into a premium one for driving because my home course is heavily wooded and I don't want to drive with DX and screw them up within one week lol.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Eagle Member

Really windy round today. Very happy I had the heavy leopard. The ions were very useful. Being as that they are very broken in and I am very familiar with them, I'm going to keep them in the bag. They also complement the anodes very well.