Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Big Country

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default OLF Mega Thread

Hey all....

I've spent the last 45 minutes or so waiting through the search function trying to get the full scoop on the Millennium OLF and at the risk of starting an unnecessary thread, I thought I'd start one where people can ask all sorts of questions and post all their info they have since it seems to be a relatively popular disc on these here forums.

Okay, so some of you know how heated I get about the whole "discing down" business, but even I have to admit the idea works in certain situations, including training and, like me, when your tired old arm and core can't get the job done anymore.

So here's my problem....lately I've been dealing with a whole mess of aches and pains and am noticing more and more than my Destroyers, even my well-loved ones, have more fade than they used to and quite a bit less turn...which obviously isn't the discs fault, it's mine. I have a stash of Wraiths that I though about switching too, but me and Wraiths never clicked as much as I would like. So I did some digging and thought I should still pretty easily get an OLF up to it's proper speed to get the flight that I want...I consulted the InBounds flight chart:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...777921O&n=1139

And since I can't get my Destros out to 450 (never could but I did use to hit the occasional 400 foot distance line) but I'm pretty sure with my form and arm/core speed I could likely get an OLF out past 350 on a golf line. In theory of course.

So how many of you out there throw OLFs? What plastic do you prefer them in, and why? I'm a fan of Star and Champion plastic, so I don't care whether it's a QOLF or a SOLF...whichever flies better (for my money, Star and Champ have more or less the same durability anyway). Are there any significant flight differences between them?

Lastly, at the risk of sounding like a n00b....just how the heck do you guys pronounce it? Do you say all the letters or do you say it phoentically...like "soulf" "quolf" etc. Thanks for the help y'all!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 40

You say the letters
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 37

there is a guy i play league with, carries a whole bag o discs. yet he throws the QMS for mid shots and the OLF is his go to on everything else. if he cant afford it to turn he uses an avenger. he is a 300 thrower and gets his OLF to turn no problem. i think he has baseline though. it was funny when he played as cali during dubs. more than once he said,' damn it, i wish i had another OLF'
Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 63

I pronounce it QWULF.

There are different versions of OLF's. 1.1 which is the older, less overstable run, and 1.2's which are more oversrable. I do not have experience with 1.3's.

Typically a fresh 1.2 OLF is Sirius or Quantum will not show much, if any turn. Once they season they gradually develop more turn. New I could generally crank them flat for 400' and at most they'd track right a bit before fading, used I threw on hyzer flip lines when going for D and got them in the 420-440 range on a golf line, which wasn't much shorter than I was throwing Quasars and Destroyers consistently.

They are easier to get up to speed than a faster disc, easy to grip, and still go pretty damn far.

For me I find my P Volts compare to fresh 1.2 QOLFS and N Volts like my 2.5 year old 1.1 QOLF or a seasoned 1.2 SOLF.

I found QOLFs ran a bit more consistent than SOLFS. I bought two SOLFS that threw more understable than I expected, but never had that issue with QOLFS.

Lastly there is an extra overstable run of QOLF x-outs that have a SOLF stamp, and are in milky white plastic with an unusually high PLH. Only ever saw them at play it again sports. I still have a few of these, they fly like a seasoned Pred, great for the wind but bad for D without flexing on an anny release.

I threw OLFs for years so if there is anything else you want to know just ask. And if its any help I have some old fieldwork videos and course rounds where I throw a bunch of different OLF's on my youtube.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 14

Mike just noticed you sig; not a fan.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Par Member

SOLF and QOLF can be pretty overstable to begin with, especially the 1.2s and 1.3s. MOLFs have been in my experience much easier to turn, but they still have a pretty good fade at the end. Generally I've noticed that the domier OLFs tend to be more overstable, and flatter ones less so. MOLFs tend to mold the flattest, although I've also seem some pretty flat QOLFs, and they were noticeably less stable than my domier ones. Some 1.3s are plus-rimmed and have a mega poppy top dome. I mostly like 1.2 SOLFs and QOLFs with moderate dome, and throw them up to 370-380' or so.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 89

Might as well get in on the first page with this.

Sof/qof on the bottom = first run regardless of the stamp

Mold changed after the first run

There are multiple runs labeled 1.2

The disc was released in 2006 so it has never been made in CE plastic.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 50

Has anyone transitioned UP from OLFs to Destroyers or Wraiths? These OLFs have really peaked my interest for sure...I think they might be able to get me back to that good 350-400 foot golf distance.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 19

I'm not sure how you would get an OLF to 350 if the Volt isn't already flying that far for you. Maybe a MOLF would go a tad farther than a Volt for you?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 12

SOLF is my main driver. I like the 1.1 and 1.2 runs.

Paired with my JLS for the anny lines I don't need much else.