Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dart experts needed

So I got a couple GStar Darts I've been messing around with as a straight turnover tweener that pairs with Suspects. Both have a medium dome, been thinking I would like them much more with a smaller dome or flatish.

How's the Dart fly with a flat top? My guess if it's like many discs a bit more understable with less glide.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Courses Played: 19
A dart with a flat top would be a mako. I like makos for short turnover shots, consistent release with a fan grip. The dart's flight plate is too flimsy for my taste, the rims are identical and the mako in star is quite consistent disc to disc.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
I only seem to remember that my DX Darts would eventually change from super domey to flat over time. The other darts that I've owned/bagged, G-Star/Champ Metal Flake actually held their huge dome.

The couple of flat DX darts I had still had incredible/midrange level glide, more glide than the premium domey versions (probably because of how glide-y seasoned DX can be). I can't remember if the flat DX were more understable or not because they'd be used for pure putting duties when they got to that point. I only remember that they were the distance champions of all my darts.

My favorite Dart is still the domey-azzed g-stars though. Incredible glide/durability to tree hits/rocks/ect + holds whatever line you put on it made one disc practice/learning rounds super fun.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtnrocks View Post
A dart with a flat top would be a mako. I like makos for short turnover shots, consistent release with a fan grip. The dart's flight plate is too flimsy for my taste, the rims are identical and the mako in star is quite consistent disc to disc.
Mako is 21.7 and Dart is 21.2 with a rim con 38.00 vs 52.75. Mako has a convex lower wing where the Dart is flatter. Similar flights but totally different molds.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
I only seem to remember that my DX Darts would eventually change from super domey to flat over time. The other darts that I've owned/bagged, G-Star/Champ Metal Flake actually held their huge dome.

The couple of flat DX darts I had still had incredible/midrange level glide, more glide than the premium domey versions (probably because of how glide-y seasoned DX can be). I can't remember if the flat DX were more understable or not because they'd be used for pure putting duties when they got to that point. I only remember that they were the distance champions of all my darts.

My favorite Dart is still the domey-azzed g-stars though. Incredible glide/durability to tree hits/rocks/ect + holds whatever line you put on it made one disc practice/learning rounds super fun.
My only gripe with the GStar is it's a bit floppy. I should try and hunt down a bit gummier Star. I hate the stiff slick Star versions. The dome is also a bit bigger then I like feel wise. I figured wth and went and flattened one a bit, It feels better in hand. Will compare flights when I can.

I agree with the durability, GStar is amazing for that. The Champs I've seen have been no bueno for me domey. My bud has one.

How about the EchoStars? That might be the ticket also.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
How about the EchoStars? That might be the ticket also.
the stars and echo stars i actually havent tried yet. but the F2 echo star darts are available in the factory store for $8 right now. I bet they're awesome.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 4
I bet the echostar version has a yuuuge dome. Every echostar disc I own is domier than it's siblings in any other plastic.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:11 AM

Courses Played: 19
I stand corrected. I'm going to keep a look out for flat darts.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 21
Even if you find flat ones all of them with have a fairly high shoulder...I've never come across a truly flat one before.