Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Eagle Member

The Volt seems very intriguing based on all the positive comments here. But I already have too much overlap with my Valkyrie and Saint. I'd have to ditch one of those to carry the Volt, too bad. SP Undertow's, when they come out in reg production, look to be similar and very interesting too...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
Pics showing the difference in nose angle (PLH?) in my Volts. First pic is White and my new 169 Orange. Second is the same 169 Orange v 175 Pink.

I got out for a long lunch and played a little 11-hole course. This orange one has a little less turn and a bit more fade than the pink, but I was hoping it would be closer to the stable flight of the white one. Oh well. I can't throw either on a flat release and not get a cut roller. If it wasn't for everyone else's descriptions, I would've thought the white one was the oddball.

I don't dislike the flight at all, and I get more distance with the turning ones. They fit right between my GL Saint and Sidewinder, stability-wise.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting the pics
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting the pics
The difference in PLH between the white and orange is notable. Looks like a different disc, almost. I also have a 169 orange one and find it as others have described: a little turn, up to flat, lots of glide and late forward fade (on a 325-350' throw). A nice, long, straight shooter that's vying for a place in my bag. I don't think I want a Volt that's noticably more stable, like the white ones apparently are.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
Pics showing the difference in nose angle (PLH?) in my Volts. First pic is White and my new 169 Orange. Second is the same 169 Orange v 175 Pink.

I got out for a long lunch and played a little 11-hole course. This orange one has a little less turn and a bit more fade than the pink, but I was hoping it would be closer to the stable flight of the white one. Oh well. I can't throw either on a flat release and not get a cut roller. If it wasn't for everyone else's descriptions, I would've thought the white one was the oddball.

I don't dislike the flight at all, and I get more distance with the turning ones. They fit right between my GL Saint and Sidewinder, stability-wise.
See this worries me a bit. The White Volt looks so different from the Orange (PLH).

How could there be such a difference?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
a little turn, up to flat, lots of glide and late forward fade (on a 325-350' throw).
That's actually a good description of how my white one flies. It's not that the stormtrooper is overstable, it just has way more HSS than the others. The 169 is looking like a great hyzer flip disc. Akin to my PPD's, tons more durable, though naturally a bit less LSS.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 27
Much like my Soft Anode that almost has a bead from the core sticking out under the overmold. Still love that disc though. Flies like an Ion/Anode hybrid.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
The Volt should be a perfect disc for you to improve your distance and accuracy. I would reccomend a few other fairway drivers, but I'm sure you already are throwing them. I see the Volt has amazing for experienced players, but also a great begginers disc.
Would others agree with this? I'm a relative newbie throwing about 275' feet consistently. I've mostly avoided the Volt hype because I assumed it would be out of my comfort level at the moment. But seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't consider it a bit more.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 27
Volt flies like a faster Stalker to me. It's pretty stable and reliable. Still trying to figure out if I like my 174 yellow or my 170 orange better. Probably ought to just pick one and go with it.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
Would others agree with this? I'm a relative newbie throwing about 275' feet consistently. I've mostly avoided the Volt hype because I assumed it would be out of my comfort level at the moment. But seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't consider it a bit more.
I throw about what you throw. The Volt is still a great disc for you. It'll be very straight, and have a nice fade at the end when thrown flat. Everyone could use a disc like that.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
This disc has been a bit of a disapointment to me. For one thing, both of the two that I have are way too flippy to be useful for me. I am about a 450' thrower, and if I want an S-curve disc, there are better options out there for me. My other main complaint is the feel of the disc. I have rather large hands and the rim on the Volt is pretty shallow, which makes my normal grip feel a little bit awkward and uncomfortable.

Like most high speed understable discs, they were very poor in the wind. I just would not trust them on a hard throw in anything other than calm conditions. Supposedly there are more stable ones out there, but that kind of flies in the face of the whole, "buy MVP because they're consistent" idea. Seems like most people's are pretty understable.

I'm not saying its a bad disc, per se. I'd certainly give one to any 350' ish thrower and I think it would probably get them close to their max D, but for me, this slot has been taken by FD's, and I'm way happier with them. I'm afraid that mvp's style of disc making may not be translating very well into drivers, at least for me. This is not a biased opinion. I have had mvp in my bag since the beginning, and still have 5 of the original orange rimmed Ions. I still currently throw an eary run, super straight flying Ion, and also a couple of Vectors.

Anyway, if you're a more powerful thrower, have big hands, and are still on the fence, maybe skip it. That's my only input here. Take it or leave it.