Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
I took my Neutron Volt, Z Buzzz and D Zone to Vegas with me this last weekend. Unfortunately for me to wind conditions were absolutely nuts, with gusts up to 40 mph. Most throws were just a crapshoot. My Volt sure got some seasoning thanks to a few errant throws onto roads, parking lots, and rocky ob areas at Red Ridge and Mountain Crest Parks. I was surprised to see how many dings the rim acrued compared to my Proton Vector that I have used on rocky courses in the past and it has stood up very solidly.

Dumb question: Is the Neutron overmold made of different plastic than the Proton overmolds? Or is the difference 100% in the core of the discs?

Wing shape most definitely factors into the fragility of higher speed discs say, relative to putters.

Has anyone else got some good dings and scars on their Volts yet?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 21
I hit a tree and it took a nice chunk out of the overmold.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
My overmold has seen trees and a metal road sign about 50 feet off the tee. You'd never know it hit anything, aside from cosmetic scuffs.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
My overmold has seen trees and a metal road sign about 50 feet off the tee. You'd never know it hit anything, aside from cosmetic scuffs.
this
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 66
I hit a boulder at about 250' out and it took a bunch of tiny chunks out of the wing. Didn't appear to bend up or down at all like DX/Pro/softer Star plastic though. Still flies nice.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post

Dumb question: Is the Neutron overmold made of different plastic than the Proton overmolds? Or is the difference 100% in the core of its discs?

Has anyone else got some good dings and scars on their Volts yet?
The overmold is the same type of plastic. In fact, even the Eclipse overmold is more or less the same plastic, just with phosphorescent elements packed in. I ha e found the Eclipse to actually be a little tougher.

I don't have any chunks out of my Volts yet, but at a tourney this weekend I smacked a tree so hard that I had sap about a quarter inch deep onto the rim. After I wiped it off I noticed some pretty bad scuffage, but no serious gouges...yet.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 5
I've got a huge chip out of one of my ions, it looks like a 1/4" thumbprint, hasn't changed the flight at all. Did some damage to my Volt with some OH's the other day too. This island is a very sharp rockpile though and my other 10 MVP discs have only suffered minor damage.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 7
I FINALLY managed to get out to the course with my 171 Red Volt today. It has just been sitting in my bag teasing me.

Based on the reviews/love/hate/confusion yadda yadda I have read on here since the release, I honestly didn't know what to expect.

I was playing in calm conditions, and I would rate the Volt at a - 1 turn and a 2 or 3 fade at 350-370 feet. Thrown with slight hyzer, it would pop up flat and just ride until a healthy fade kicked in. Thrown flat, it exhibited a slow right turn, but nothing too extreme, and faded back nicely. Slight anny release yielded a wide sweeping turn with a reliable fade. One of my slight anny throws over shot a 368 hole by about 15 or 20 feet.

Anyways, to me this disc flies like a slightly worn in SOLF with a more satisfying flight. I'm glad it didn't let me down.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
I think I got one of the more overstable black ones. My Opto Saint is far straighter with more forward glide. My Volt has 0 turn unless I seriously try to. I mean, it will stay in my bag for exactly what it does. But it's not beating my Saint for pure distance.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

ok now i want proton volts and soft volts and glow volts and ****