Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Now that I've had some time to get to know my Volt, I feel like I can throw it faster than my other drivers. Not only does it look like it's flying faster, but I can throw it farther than other discs that have a similar flight rating. Example - my Volt flies very similar to my Star SL, but the Star SL has a higher speed rating. However, I can throw my Volt farther. I don't know if the grip is more comfortable, or I can get a better snap on it because of the gyro tech, or I'm just crazy, but I'm getting good flights out of it. Anyone else think their Volts are easier to get up to higher speeds?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Like you, I do actually appreciate a little variation and I believe absolute consistency is something that would at the very least not be worth the cost to achieve it.
Little variation is still lot better than some other molds like PD where I had S-PD that is Firebird stable and other one is like DX Teebird stable, ditto with Pred as I had a ESP Pred that is like DX Teebird stable. That is too big variation to my taste.

So far, my Volts have little variations which is good and MVP obviously will continue to improve their mfg process and quality control that are still within their costs.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
I have kept the Volt in my bag and I'm still not impressed. I keep throwing it hoping I will want to keep it, but I just don't think it fits in my bag. If I want distance, I grab the saint, if I want control, I grab a TL or PD. I just don't need a volt and I don't like it that much.

We will see, I'm still keeping it and throwing it. It just didn't do anything special for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Now that I've had some time to get to know my Volt, I feel like I can throw it faster than my other drivers. Not only does it look like it's flying faster, but I can throw it farther than other discs that have a similar flight rating. Example - my Volt flies very similar to my Star SL, but the Star SL has a higher speed rating. However, I can throw my Volt farther. I don't know if the grip is more comfortable, or I can get a better snap on it because of the gyro tech, or I'm just crazy, but I'm getting good flights out of it. Anyone else think their Volts are easier to get up to higher speeds?
Most people have this experience with neutral fairyway drivers at some point in their DG lifetime. Many of us find that, when we dump our bags on a bomber hole, our Leos/Teebirds/Rivers/Saints/Volts/PPDs w/e are sitting right next to our big rim distance drivers, perhaps even farther, because they're easier to grip, and both glide better and stay straight longer at the speeds the vast majority of players throw them.

That said, the speed difference between a Volt and SL is very small. The rim on the Volt is roughly 1 mm smaller than the SL.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
I have kept the Volt in my bag and I'm still not impressed. I keep throwing it hoping I will want to keep it, but I just don't think it fits in my bag. If I want distance, I grab the saint, if I want control, I grab a TL or PD. I just don't need a volt and I don't like it that much.

We will see, I'm still keeping it and throwing it. It just didn't do anything special for me.
This has been my finding too. I keep reaching for it during casual rounds hoping it will click with my game. But I throw it and then reach for what I would normally throw before the volt came out (opto/gl saint or p-pd depending on the shot) and said disc just does what I want so much better than the volt. The volt doesnt go any farther than my fresh GL saint, and has pretty much the same flight. Need an anny shot? beat GL saint. Long straight with fade at the end? p-pd. Just dont see the volt doing anything that discs I already have cant do as well or better.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokintheChains View Post
This has been my finding too. I keep reaching for it during casual rounds hoping it will click with my game. But I throw it and then reach for what I would normally throw before the volt came out (opto/gl saint or p-pd depending on the shot) and said disc just does what I want so much better than the volt. The volt doesnt go any farther than my fresh GL saint, and has pretty much the same flight. Need an anny shot? beat GL saint. Long straight with fade at the end? p-pd. Just dont see the volt doing anything that discs I already have cant do as well or better.
I think people who love the PD prefer pd/saint to volt + anything or even volt by itself.

Discspeed pointed it out a while ago, not everyones bag has a spot for the volt.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
I love PD and definitely prefer Volt over Saint, each to their own. Both are good, but I really like the feel of Volt's rim, very comfy and consistent for me. Been playing at Turkey Lake T2 course on daily basis and Volt is my workhorse driver and even upshots (I notice it is easier to do upshots with Volt than say my mids in some cases because I get better accuracy with less effort esp when the distance is between mid/fairway). I reach for bit beefier S-PD when I need harder fade, tighter "S" flight and headwinds.

Cannot wait for newer release of drivers from MVP so that might give me better feel and consistent grip between their driver molds.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Love my volt! It's a freakin laser beam.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
I tried my buddys max wt pepto pink one and it was super controllable and went farther than I thought it would.

I powered it down because I wanted to hit the line more than throw hard ...and it NAILED the line.

I like 'em.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 19
Got my First Ace with the volt this weekend! On a hole that's about 300 feet, Slight hyzer. This was durring a local tournament, i won the entire ace pool! woot!

The Volt has been getting closer to the chains than my Eagles and Rivers ever did consistently. Not sure if its just because im focusing more on trying to make well placed shots or the Volt is just easier to predict/place than my other discs.

At first i didnt like the grip/feel of it so much, but now that im getting more used to it, i feel like i have more control over the smaller rim and am able to manipulate my grip more and handle it better than larger rimmed discs (I have large hands btw, im 6'3")

So far the volt has been replacing some of the shots i used to use my Eagles for but i find it hard to get rid of a disc i have thrown for so long

The glide on this Volt is insane, and even in the wind i find it handles relatively well considering the amount of glide. (I have tested it in 8~10mph wind)

I let a bunch of people throw all the Volts i have at the tournament and people LOVED it. Majority said they would purchase one after thrown it. im glad to see majority of other disc junkies enjoying the volt as much as i do. However there was a minority of "fan-boys", "Haters", what ever you call them, that chose to dislike the Volt, but judging by their throws it was apparent they didnt have the skill level to be judging a more advanced disc like the Volt. Throwing with severe OAT does not mean a disc is under stable.

So far the volt has treated me very well and i give it a 8/10 because of its good controllability and glide. Although, wish it was slightly more overstable instead of neutral to handle wind better and allow for mega rips

ALL the Volts i have are different colors/weights, and they are all within ~5% similarity in flight characteristics.. this is VERY good, thanks MVP.

Can't wait for the next MVP release, i hope its a Over-stable Driver. Or maybe an under stable mid/driver.