Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 PM
The Whole Flipping Shed

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Titanic_Sinks
I've got a 173 Volt coming in the next couple of days. I'd be more than happy to give it a fair review. I have no qualms with giving honest reviews about discs, hyped or otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 186
Per many discussions on this board, I have given both the Saint (Gold) and the Volt a fair run for a few rounds. I have found both to be pretty understable. Though, I think all discs come with their unique abilities and different flight characteristics, I have generally tried to put together a bag that allows for one type throw. This has allowed me to try to find a consistant form, while allowing the characteristics of the discs to create the flight paths. The Saint, Volt and even my River all seem to force me to alter my form a touch to make them work. All three seem to be nose heavy, coming out low and holding a low flight path. All three also make me concentrate on setting the disc on a more hyzer release to eliminate flip. Very nice discs with a ton of glide. Just my take, I will keep playing around with them, but maybe not my cup of tea. Goes to show that each disc has its place and not everyone will love them.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
25 mph winds, VOLT is 175, white with cpat america dye

i think i average 330+ good drives i can get 375.

So the VOLT does not like headwind. Every time i threw it in a head wind the disc burned right on me. I had one throw where i lined up wrong and saw the HSS and some fade back (a legit S-curve) , sneaky d about 350.

i did not get good throws with the tailwind and thought they were going to hyzer spike, but actually went farther than I thought they would. You can see the the glide carry the disc and I had some skip forward like a teebird does, instead of hard left

i threw one hole and the disc burned hard right and hit a rock which kept it from going too far. I threw a teebird on the same line, and the teebird resisted the turn and kept fighting forward.

wind is not usually a factor here in vegas, so im not too worried. but the disc feels great and i can see the potential for it, without a head wind.

i am interested in this disc in proton or eclipse plastic because i imagine it will resist the turn a bit more.
Update:
I played Sunset Park today and pulled out the Volt. Had to give it a shot without any head wind. The bum eating saltines and drinking coors light was very impressed with my throw he saw, which i parked for a birdie.

Man no head wind this disc flew very f n well. i even but a little anny on it and the disc glided left to right and right next to the pin. It seemed like the volt was making me a better disc golfer.

I was very happy with the flight today. Did not see it S turn but like i said it held the line i put it on very well. There was not a lot of fade though at the end and there was skip but mostly forward like a teebird does.

Good day 2.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
what i failed to mention above is that i don't trust the volt either. I threw my TL when I needed a straight shot and on the open shot the volt came up shorter than my saint. its a small sample size i know but worth talking about. this is what i am carrying:
monster, riot, saint, teebird, TL, eagle L, volt.....
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
what i failed to mention above is that i don't trust the volt either. I threw my TL when I needed a straight shot and on the open shot the volt came up shorter than my saint. its a small sample size i know but worth talking about. this is what i am carrying:
monster, riot, saint, teebird, TL, eagle L, volt.....
I hate to say it, but with a Saint, TL, EL, and Volt I don't know how your arm wouldn't be confused. All of those discs do the same thing a little differently. Pare down my friend to the one or two that you like the best and then learn them well. You won't miss the others.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

I've got a really tight 300' tunnel hole at my home course where you can't turn and especially fade much (water 30' left of basket). I wish I had one of these understable Volts because all of mine come out of a slight turn too fast and fade too much for this hole. It still seems crazy to me that so many people are describing theirs as understable... I just don't know what to think about that considering the 4 I have, especially since some have called the same color/weight of the discs I have "flippy" when mine are not.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've got a really tight 300' tunnel hole at my home course where you can't turn and especially fade much (water 30' left of basket). I wish I had one of these understable Volts because all of mine come out of a slight turn too fast and fade too much for this hole. It still seems crazy to me that so many people are describing theirs as understable... I just don't know what to think about that considering the 4 I have, especially since some have called the same color/weight of the discs I have "flippy" when mine are not.
Well it could be people's form orrrrrrr it could be that MVP is not unlike other disc manufactures that are plagued with inconsistencies.

This is the first large production run of the Volt...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 24
Tried 6 of Volts in varying weights and colors and they all flew pretty similar to me. Very little variation for me. I have four more that I have not throw yet and will plan to do that.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajames View Post
Well it could be people's form orrrrrrr it could be that MVP is not unlike other disc manufactures that are plagued with inconsistencies.

This is the first large production run of the Volt...
The question is which of those two possibilities is dominating the reviews. If Zamson/ZJ have yet to see/throw a flippy Volt at Discnation I'm leaning towards the notion of people making them flippy being the most common issue.

I'm fairly certain the the Volt run was much larger than any run of anything MVP had done previously, so this could account for some variance. However if there was major variation I would think I would see it in the 4 different weights/colors that I have (or in all the ones they've thrown at DN).

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I hate to say it, but with a Saint, TL, EL, and Volt I don't know how your arm wouldn't be confused. All of those discs do the same thing a little differently. Pare down my friend to the one or two that you like the best and then learn them well. You won't miss the others.
What do you think of an EL and VOLT pairing? I also have a champ jk pro that's rather worn but still has some stability in it. Should I consider throwing out the valk?