Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The question is which of those two possibilities is dominating the reviews. If Zamson/ZJ have yet to see/throw a flippy Volt at Discnation I'm leaning towards the notion of people making them flippy being the most common issue.

I'm fairly certain the the Volt run was much larger than any run of anything MVP had done previously, so this could account for some variance. However if there was major variation I would think I would see it in the 4 different weights/colors that I have (or in all the ones they've thrown at DN).
The 2 Volts I've thrown and the couple dozen I've seen at the shops have seemed consistent with what y'all have found, so it doesn't seem as though they're horribly inconsistent.

However, whentherainscome posted pretty clear photos of variation and a buddy of mine verified to me that UPS got a way flippy Volt early on too, so I believe they're out there. I imagine there are plenty of folks who have troubles keeping the more stable volts straight because of technique issues as well. It probably is the most common cause of the reports of flippy Volts, but it's too early [for me] to tell.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I'm taking mine out for 11 holes after work, gonna see if I can put my Pink on another ace run at a 270' anhyzer gap shot.

Not the most exciting course, but there's room to air them out on a couple holes.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
Quote:
I hate to say it, but with a Saint, TL, EL, and Volt I don't know how your arm wouldn't be confused. All of those discs do the same thing a little differently. Pare down my friend to the one or two that you like the best and then learn them well. You won't miss the others.
Don't hate to say it I am trying to figure it all out. I can say that the Saint does seem different then the other three, and the star TL i throw will not hold the anny line like the volt.

that being said I have three volts, granted all similar weight and i don't notice any difference in them
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces_in_illinois View Post
What do you think of an EL and VOLT pairing? I also have a champ jk pro that's rather worn but still has some stability in it. Should I consider throwing out the valk?
It's hard for me to say without seeing exactly how you use them. For my arm Champ ELs are very similar in stability to my Volts (pretty stable, some turn at high speeds) and a worn Valk would be a lot less stable for me.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Please, if anyone in the Austin area has one of these flippy Volts, bring it to Disc Nation on any weekend and ask ZJ to test it. He got 450'+ dead-stable lines with a bunch of different Volts, so I'd love to hear him tell me your flippy one is legit and unlike all the others that were stable.

For some reason this disc has been out for WEEKS and I haven't seen any reports of a freakishly flippy one finding the hands of a clean power thrower who's gotten stable flights with other Volts. Just test it. It's ridiculous what a small sample size we're arguing over.

"All Volts are flippy, cuz mine flipped, and also yes I throw so good."
"Volts are stable, cuz mine went stable for days."
These two archers need to exchange arrows and test.
This has been my experience too. In fact I would say they Volt is very good at showing any OAT, but with a clean release flies very close to dead stable. When I tried throwing them for distance in a field (420-450' I'm guessing) I would throw them fairly high, tiny bit of hyzer and 90% power and they were going dead straight with a healthy fade very late in the flight.

Playing on the course, the times I've accidentally OATed a drive or griplocked with a Volt, it's been ugly. Given some OAT the Volt definitely flies understable, whether or not it recovers depends on how high and far it was thrown.

If someone wants to trade a flippy Volt for one of my stable ones for a week let me know.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
I'd be willing to trade one of the lower PLH ones for one in a matching weight, in the interest of science.
I'm planning on using it this weekend, but I could send my low PLH Pink out on Monday.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 24
How does a Volt compare to a Discmania TD? I can throw aroun 400 ft, how would a Volt fly for me?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
How does a Volt compare to a Discmania TD? I can throw aroun 400 ft, how would a Volt fly for me?
It is slower and has a little different flightpath, but it is kind of comparable. It flies most like the CTD+ rather than SPDs. My Volts are more stable than most TDs as well, but not dramatically.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

One thing I've come to rely on the Volt for already is midrange distance low ceiling shots...It flies low really well for not being all that fast. It doesn't ever get any weird lift out of my hand (especially w/hyzer) like a lot of other discs in it's class do for me, which also helps with the low ceilings. It flies equally good high too, which is another oddity compared to most discs.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 24
Quote:
It is slower and has a little different flightpath, but it is kind of comparable. It flies most like the CTD+ rather than SPDs. My Volts are more stable than most TDs as well, but not dramatically.
Which one is easier in shaping lines? What about pushing out further?

I don't have a Volt, but if I got one, I want to be able to push out to 400ft without it flipping over and dying. Sometimes I'll throw my S-TD with hyzer only to have it flip up and anhyzer out. Granted, the S-TD is breaking in making it change characteristics, but I would like to be able to push the Volt out without it dumping to the right.