Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
Which one is easier in shaping lines? What about pushing out further?

I don't have a Volt, but if I got one, I want to be able to push out to 400ft without it flipping over and dying.
Couple posts above this. Read Mike C's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
This has been my experience too. In fact I would say they Volt is very good at showing any OAT, but with a clean release flies very close to dead stable. When I tried throwing them for distance in a field (420-450' I'm guessing) I would throw them fairly high, tiny bit of hyzer and 90% power and they were going dead straight with a healthy fade very late in the flight.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
Which one is easier in shaping lines? What about pushing out further?

I don't have a Volt, but if I got one, I want to be able to push out to 400ft without it flipping over and dying. Sometimes I'll throw my S-TD with hyzer only to have it flip up and anhyzer out. Granted, the S-TD is breaking in making it change characteristics, but I would like to be able to push the Volt out without it dumping to the right.
Volt is better for line shaping hands down, but the TD is longer for me hands down.

One reason I think they are similar is that they are both very gyroscopic. If you look closely at the TDs profile there is a very good percentage of it's mass pushed way to the outside. The anhyzer/Discmania top has most of it's mass pushed to the outside before it slants rather abruptly at the very tip. The RR style convex wing also has more mass out there than a concave wing like the PD.

The difference is that the Volt has a concave wing, which almost always equals a more consistent flightpath. The convex wing probably does the opposite, but it is very dynamic...It gives the disc super glide and keeps it spinning fast deep into the flight, but it takes more skill to work it.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Must throw stat

Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 18
Ok, I've got a question. Maybe I'm mad, which is a good possibility, but I thought I saw where some colors are flatter, or throw differently than others.... Is this the case?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
I have 168 orange, 173 yellowish, 173 white, 175 lime Volts in my bag and I use all of them daily basis in past about two weeks. They all look same to me in terms of domeness and they all flew pretty similar to me. If I am robot then I might could tell some differences. The 168 orange seems to fly slightly further perhaps due to lighter weight but they are all interchangeable to me.

Volts are doing wonders to my game, I can do pretty much do lot of lines with it. I was able to place my orange Volt very nicely into very tight gap landing at Turkey Lake T2 #1 with slight anny line that went all the way to the ground. Placing better than Gregg Hosfeld's disc by couple of feet Not only can shape many lines, they are more consistent. Gregg got 47 while I got 54. I'll catch him someday!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
Got a 169g orange Volt and I love this disc.
Put it through the paces the other day and it flies straight for me. What I really like about it though is not only does it throw straight, but it also holds any line you put on it very well. Discs in my bag are designated for either forehand or backhand, but the Volt was working wonders for both. Amazing.

Zam, is Disc Nation getting some blanks for custom stamping once MVP gets caught up filling orders?
Need to know if I should stop dreaming about a Skulboy Volt in my bag or not.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 199
Also digging the Volt. Not a ton of throws, but seems to fit in the extremely dark crack between my Teebirds and my Saints. But my Saints are at least 5 grams lighter so take that for what it is worth. I could see the Volt and Saint being interchangeable or a personal preference thing. A very controllable and versatile disc. If it could handle the 30 MPH headwind I'd really be in love. So far for me it flies dad nuts straight with a decent predictable fade. The Saint seems to be slightly more stable and/or faster, but only slightly. But it also turns a little easier in the wind. Tough call.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulboy View Post
Put it through the paces the other day and it flies straight for me. What I really like about it though is not only does it throw straight, but it also holds any line you put on it very well. Discs in my bag are designated for either forehand or backhand, but the Volt was working wonders for both. Amazing.

Zam, is Disc Nation getting some blanks for custom stamping once MVP gets caught up filling orders?
I know Community Discs has some blanks in stock...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulboy View Post

Skullboy I believe custom stamping on volts through Disc Nation is currently available. I sorted the box of blanks

We can get blanks from almost every manufacturer...almost...

Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
One thing I've come to rely on the Volt for already is midrange distance low ceiling shots...It flies low really well for not being all that fast. It doesn't ever get any weird lift out of my hand (especially w/hyzer) like a lot of other discs in it's class do for me, which also helps with the low ceilings. It flies equally good high too, which is another oddity compared to most discs.
This ^ is what sold me on the Volt.
I like flat discs for a number of reasons, not the least of which is canopy busting low line drives...but I digress.

I threw the Volt of a control hyzer line which it did not budge out of with respect to both line and height. At the lower power I gave it, i was was expecting to have to sacrifice some distance for the gain in accuracy.

I sacrificed neither and ordered one right quick.