Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think way too many of you view OAT as a bad thing with this disc. I can add torque and still get accurate or big drives. The disc just excels at doing what you tell it. That means it can also respond in a positive way to intended OAT. Or it can hold a hyzer. That's what makes the disc so good
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
The Volt's flight image at inflightguide.net: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...ts/8675309.png .

Let me try that again:
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/WebCharts/867-5309.png

Hmmmmm.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
I think way too many of you view OAT as a bad thing with this disc. I can add torque and still get accurate or big drives. The disc just excels at doing what you tell it. That means it can also respond in a positive way to intended OAT. Or it can hold a hyzer. That's what makes the disc so good
I do mids and putters that way on occasion, but rarely do I do it with drivers. I try to get drivers to work with their own stability. I have actually started to cut down on the amount of times I do it with the slower discs. I don't practice enough right now to do that with desired results every time. Maybe by next spring when tournament season starts back up for me again I will get that shot back in my game. I'll definitely give the Volt a try with that shot.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
I threw a Volt test disc up at The Nati Disc Golf Shop yesterday and I have to say I like it a lot. It was the first MVP plastic I've ever thrown and I'm seriously considering getting one. It flew similar to my stable champ eagle but I felt like it may have more distance potential. I didn't really try to rip into it but it flew so nice and straight with a tad bit of fade at the end.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
Been throwing Volts a lot at Turkey Lake courses on daily basis. Very controllable and consistent driver for me when there is calm or little winds. There are some holes near lake where there is strong cross wind that is blowing to my left and I threw very slight anny angle (not what I want, I was planning to throw flat), the winds goes over the top of disc and it just keeps disc turning right and going down and not coming back. In that case I would go for beefier S-PD that would come back even throwing with slight anny angle against that cross winds.

I lost one lime 175 Volt in that lake. Tomorrow I ll rent the boat and try to find that one (and enjoy boating around the lake too).

Hopefully MVP will be able to come up with overstable compliment to Volt that is similar or better than that beefier S-PD (wishful thinking?) that can handle winds very well.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Some people asked me what I do during Turkey day and i say "I play DG on Turkeynator course at Turkey Lake on Turkey day." What more, I certainly had a Turkey day to remember!

Anyway I get to throw Volts as well PDs more today. On that same hole (Turkeynator #15), there was really strong crosswind (going to my left) from the lake (more than yesterday), the first Volt I threw, it went too low (nose bit down and bit too much anny angle) and turned right and into the ground. So I threw a PD (normal stable) and it was hair bit too much hyzer and turned left too much. Then I threw a beefier PD with purposeful bit anhzyer and it hit the line nicely, bit turn then do it's trademark forward fade. Then I threw 2nd Volt and hit the tree, threw 3rd one, bit less anhzyer angle than that beefier PD with right nose angle and it hit line nicely and arrive only about 5 to 10 feet apart from that PD despite very strong crosswind. Then I threw the fourth one, hair more anhzyer than that 3rd Volt and turned right bit more and had little fade, about 30 foot short than the 3rd Volt.

So the bottom line is that Volt can be throw against the cross wind like PD, but just need more tighter anhzyer/nose angles to get right line. If I had to pick one for that hole with strong cross winds, I would pick beefier PD because it will be more likely to come back if I happen to put bit more anhzyer angle than I intended to. Giving me some more margin for error.

BTW on the next hole, Turkeynator #16, a hole where one has to throw across the lake, it was pretty strong headwind, from the long (blue) teepad, I decide to throw "normal" S-PD with little hzyer, but to my surprise, it kept turning for a good while before short fade into water. So I threw a beefier S-PD (DGR stamp) with bit more hyzer and it still even turned and fell short into water. I aimed for about 250 feet or so to go over the lake but failed both times.

So I went to short (red) teepad. I threw a XXX and it still turned a bit and went into lake, then I threw a Volt, little bit hyzer and I expect to clear the lake into the land but it was like hyzer flipped and it kept turning and into the lake. Threw 2nd Volt with bit more hzyer and still flipped up and kept turning and into the lake again. Then I threw 3rd Volt with even more hyzer (like 7'o clock) and it flipped but but still barely maintained hyzer line and finally got on the land!

5 straight throws into water! Recovered XXX (it was like 20 feet from water) but I could not see 4 other discs (2 PDs & 2 Volts), too deep in water. I have not lost a disc for months and all of suddenly I lost 5 in two days! Man, I still need to learn to deal with that strong headwind!

I guess I need a boat and try to find them tomorrow!

After that infamous #16 (I started at #12), I get to throw with 2 remaining Volts in my bag and both worked beautifully for me (not much wind rest of holes). At hole #11 Par 4, it was pretty tight gap about 100 or so foot away and I am surprised that i kept hitting that gap again and again with my Volts day after day. So pleased with my Volts. Now down to 10 Volts!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 29
not on topic

but I liked playing T2

but I didn't get a chance to play T1

pretty jealous you get to play courses like that on a regular basis
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Eagle Member

I found DX and Pro Destroyers in my storage bins and I ll use them for over the lake holes Don't mind losing those.

Played another round today at T2 (quite less windy this time) (I had problem with sore/stiff neck muscles (ongoing issue for me for past 2.5 years) so I decide to only throw 80% power today, i.e. smooth delivery, trying to be effortless). I had three Volts in my bag (orange 168, yellow/greenish 173 and pink 175) and all flew pretty similar which I really like. There is one hole that is 272 feet (#9) and I threw Volts smoothly and first two were parked, only 10 feet right from basket and the third one was about 10 feet behind (it was bit off aim so that is expected).

Hole #6, threw three Volts and all were parked within basket. At hole #8 which I think is like 220 feet and I powered down three Volts nicely and parked (quite easier to do than my Axis and Vector).

At #11 Par 4, there is gap I need to throw through, logically Axis would be best disc, but I was bit off aiming with Axis and touched the tree branches (twice) but with Volts, it went through where I aimed (flew further/faded more to my liking as Axis or even Amp would be better discs for that situation).

It is just that Volt keeps hitting where I am aiming at much more consistently than any other disc I have used esp on 80% power (effortless/smooth throw). I def need to do field work with Axis/Vector to improve my aiming (more likely has to do with consistent release).

Thanks MVP for Volts!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 199
Question????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Some people asked me what I do during Turkey day and i say "I play DG on Turkeynator course at Turkey Lake on Turkey day." What more, I certainly had a Turkey day to remember!

Anyway I get to throw Volts as well PDs more today. On that same hole (Turkeynator #15), there was really strong crosswind (going to my left) from the lake (more than yesterday), the first Volt I threw, it went too low (nose bit down and bit too much anny angle) and turned right and into the ground. So I threw a PD (normal stable) and it was hair bit too much hyzer and turned left too much. Then I threw a beefier PD with purposeful bit anhzyer and it hit the line nicely, bit turn then do it's trademark forward fade. Then I threw 2nd Volt and hit the tree, threw 3rd one, bit less anhzyer angle than that beefier PD with right nose angle and it hit line nicely and arrive only about 5 to 10 feet apart from that PD despite very strong crosswind. Then I threw the fourth one, hair more anhzyer than that 3rd Volt and turned right bit more and had little fade, about 30 foot short than the 3rd Volt.

So the bottom line is that Volt can be throw against the cross wind like PD, but just need more tighter anhzyer/nose angles to get right line. If I had to pick one for that hole with strong cross winds, I would pick beefier PD because it will be more likely to come back if I happen to put bit more anhzyer angle than I intended to. Giving me some more margin for error.

BTW on the next hole, Turkeynator #16, a hole where one has to throw across the lake, it was pretty strong headwind, from the long (blue) teepad, I decide to throw "normal" S-PD with little hzyer, but to my surprise, it kept turning for a good while before short fade into water. So I threw a beefier S-PD (DGR stamp) with bit more hyzer and it still even turned and fell short into water. I aimed for about 250 feet or so to go over the lake but failed both times.

So I went to short (red) teepad. I threw a XXX and it still turned a bit and went into lake, then I threw a Volt, little bit hyzer and I expect to clear the lake into the land but it was like hyzer flipped and it kept turning and into the lake. Threw 2nd Volt with bit more hzyer and still flipped up and kept turning and into the lake again. Then I threw 3rd Volt with even more hyzer (like 7'o clock) and it flipped but but still barely maintained hyzer line and finally got on the land!

5 straight throws into water! Recovered XXX (it was like 20 feet from water) but I could not see 4 other discs (2 PDs & 2 Volts), too deep in water. I have not lost a disc for months and all of suddenly I lost 5 in two days! Man, I still need to learn to deal with that strong headwind!

I guess I need a boat and try to find them tomorrow!

After that infamous #16 (I started at #12), I get to throw with 2 remaining Volts in my bag and both worked beautifully for me (not much wind rest of holes). At hole #11 Par 4, it was pretty tight gap about 100 or so foot away and I am surprised that i kept hitting that gap again and again with my Volts day after day. So pleased with my Volts. Now down to 10 Volts!

There was enough wind to turn a XXX and you still threw a Volt?? Are you deep in discs or completely crazed? Pretty funny. I like your persistence though.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Eagle Member

Still learning my discs

I bought a kayak two days ago (always wanted one for long time anyway) and tried to look for my discs in that lake but could not find them, but there was a guy walking into water up to chest level and he found my pink 175 Volt so I am happy to get that one back. But my 173 white Volt and blue 175 volt are still in that lake (maybe someone found them, good for them) along with two S-PDs. Yesterday, a park worker told me that I am not permitted to use kayak in that lake, so I am going to return it back. I ll be using DX/Pro Destroyers (that I found in my storage bins) to throw across the lake and i don't mind losing them.