Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I'm starting to think I'm going to have to choose between the AMP and the Volt to sit beside my PDs. The two discs wouldn't overlap enough for most, but my bag is pretty trimmed down. For me the Amp/Volt are seeming like the Anode/Ion...Even though they are different they are still going to fill a similar role, kind of like EXs and TBs. Right now the Volt has got the edge as it seems more versatile. It sucks though, because I'm really liking the Amp too. I may just take out Amps for a while until I feel really connected to my Volts, and then test them again. Right now it's like my arm is trying to make them fly the same.

I can say that for people who found the Volt to be overstable the Amp will be money. I was playing a very skilled female today who throws in the 300' range and usually throws Leos. Her first drive with the Amp was awesome, nearly ace running after a very straight slight hyzer flip flight. I was surprised how reliably it faded for her...it looked like the Volt flies for me when I throw it 50' farther.

Right now I'm thinking the Volt will win out for me. The extra little bit of stability and more precision (aka what others call "nose angle sensitive" or "touchy") has it in the lead so far. I'm also much better FH with the Volt than the Amp as the Volt continues to amaze me FH. The Volt is the only disc I can FH off the tee and have it look like a LHBH shot...I still have no idea why this is.

I've been really having fun crushing the Volt on a high turned over distance line...It may say "fairway" driver, but now that I've got the feel of it I can put it out as far (or perhaps a bit farther) than my PDs. So far it seems that Volt/PD is a money combo...Amp/PD would be great as well in a more PD heavy lineup.
I don't throw as far as you I am sure, but I am feeling the same way about the Amp/Volt. Maybe it is because I was expecting the Volt to be stable, so I am OK with it, but the Amp and I are not gelling so far. It is nice when I dial it in, but I can't seem to do it with any consistency. Understable discs are usually really easy for me to get the hang of, so I am getting a little impatient. At the same time, the Volt can be worked on those tasty Teebird/Eagle lines, and I already throw a Roadrunner or River, depending on how I feel that day. As a result, I am not sure the Amp is going to make the bag. That kind of holds to my trend for MVP though. I bag one out of every two of their discs I try.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
The VOLT quickly also became a go-to disc for me and I had to have my artwork on one.

Thanks to Disc Nation, my dream came true.
They are in the Marketplace now, have a look.
MVP/Skulboy Volt

Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Birdie Member

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I haven't had the need to. I read up a little on the Volt when it was first coming out and reviews seemed mixed. My bag is set and I don't want to change it up at this time. I received a Volt in a trade yesterday. I decided I would take it out for a spin today. Played 18 holes and from the first rip with the Volt I was hooked. This is one badass fairway driver! It felt very Eagle like for me. A little high speed turn and a VERY healthy forward fade to finish. This thing has a ton of distance potential. It really excels at low lines. I only had one round with it but I threw it every chance I got. Great job on this one MVP. I am impressed. More testing to come......

Edit: those Skulboys are sweet and I want one!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Well got my third volt today, identical plh as my other ones but it had a warped flight plate. Threw it for a round and had some of the biggest turnovers I've ever had. Was a little mad that it was throwing understable so I went home and put some boiling water in the volt upside down. Waited about 20 mins. Examined it and it looked just like the other volts I had, basically a perfectly flat flight plate. Took it out to throw and of course it flew perfectly. It's nice to know that if a disc gets messed up during shipping it can be easily fixed.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Volt loves low line drives.

I normally throw an axis to stay straight in the fairway on this hole, but the last time I played it, I put the Volt to 15ish' just to the left of the basket where I had a straddle putt. I missed the putt, but that is the closest I have ever seen anyone come to making a 2 on that hole (I have seen a near ace, but the boss skipped 40' by and deep in the woods). I am now determined to make a 2 here.

Last edited by jongoff09; 12-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Birdie Member

^^^ Looks like that would be a solid deuce. I think I would probably pull the Volt out of the bag on that shot as well. I love tunnel shots. Stay straight for a deuce/par, get greedy and stray a little and your looking at par/bogey.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
^^^ Looks like that would be a solid deuce. I think I would probably pull the Volt out of the bag on that shot as well. I love tunnel shots. Stay straight for a deuce/par, get greedy and stray a little and your looking at par/bogey.
Or worse.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
It seems the Volt performs for high power throwers as the Amp does for us noodle arms. There's no way I'd throw a Volt on this hole. But the Amp, as tested last night, would be a laser straight down that fairway on a low line drive.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
I have 2 Volts, a lime green I got from a friend & a white one in a trade. The green is stable. Straight, maybe just the slightest turn, and light fade. The white is a different animal, flippy. It looks to be fairly new, hardly any wear. These are like 2 totally different discs but they pair up pretty well!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 53
broke down and bought one and it's definitely a very solid disc. It glides forever and has very smooth finish in any direction. Didn't think I would like it because of the 2-piece plastic but it's a solid disc.