Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Amp on left, FR Shock on right, book on bottom.

Last edited by threevok; 04-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Bogey Member

It's been rumored that the first run white Amps are a bit more overstable than intended.

It's pretty widely believed that the first run Shocks are way more understable than intended.

So... I'd say your experience validates both theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
Just got back from 3 hours in the field throwing the Amp, FR Shock, Axis, and Tangent. The city cleared the snow off the artificial turf soccer field just for me. The wind was less than 10 MPH when I started and ramped up to 15-20 after about an hour.

Thrown flat, my Amp is straight, very little turn, and a hard fade. The Shock has a lot of turn and moderate fade. I turned the Shock over, as in burn, many times but never the Amp. Had a hard time getting them out to 300'. Hit 300' a few times with the Tangent though before the wind kicked up. Kinda bummed. Maybe I don't have enough juice to bring out the magic.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
my FR Shocks have significantly more high speed turn than my Volts. almost to the level of being Amp-like, except for a weird jagged fade.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
my FR Shocks have significantly more high speed turn than my Volts. almost to the level of being Amp-like, except for a weird jagged fade.
Exactly how my first run pink is. I'm waiting on a second run to come in the mail. I would love to be able to have an all MVP fairway line up. Got a stable Volt, flippy volt, now I need that new Shock and I'm set! I also like how they all feel so similar in the hand. Makes me feel like I'm only throwing one mold.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
i'm still not quite sold on their fairways, but have completely converted to their putters, and the mid lineup feels great for the amount of time i've had them. i find that once you add in two, or even one mvp disc, that area starts looking really mvp friendly, really fast.
as for the second run shock, it's exactly what i was hoping for - very os without being a dive bomber. i'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 17
My new shocks are working in great with my volts and rivers, these three discs allow me ANY possible fairway shot i would ever need to make.

The shock is a 0 turn 2.5 fade disc for me at 300+ range and fights wind like a champ, into moderate headwinds it holds a straight line MUCH longer, but doesn't turn! it just fades a lot later. but into extreme headwinds it will fly like a volt and have turn but always come back.. great disc so far with the spring weather and winds here, its my go to.

Moderate to extreme tailwinds make my volts act like the shock on a calm day. When its calm my volts are deadly, i can place them within 25ft of the basket quite consistently from 300ft away. I like adding a slight hyzer on the release and let them flip to straight and hold for what seems like 90% of the flight, then a late forward fade.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 16
Had my Volt out of the lineup for a while and put it back in at the last minute for a mini today. First shot of the day was a Volt flick. A bit wobbly at first, but then straightened up and almost parked itself right where I wanted. I am now wondering why I took it out in the first place.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic cannon View Post
Got a stable Volt, flippy volt, now I need that new Shock and I'm set! I also like how they all feel so similar in the hand. Makes me feel like I'm only throwing one mold.
It will be exactly what you're looking for (more on that later - off on a tangent first). I'm giving the Amp another try in the turning slot, but I suspect that once my Volts beat in, it'll be toast. New, I'm just not sure the Amp has enough turn to really seperate itself from the Volt (unless you're cracking say....350' or so). That's not a slam against the Amp, the Volt is just so damn good at so many different lines that I don't really need something like the Amp. I want want a disc with pronounced turn and another with pronounced fade to cover the shots that I can't pull off with the Volt.

On the flip side, the 2nd run Shocks are exactly what I've been looking for in an overstable control driver. We don't get a ton of heavy wind around here, so I have little need for anything stupidly overstable like a XXX or Man-Bird. The Shock has 0 turn for me, fights back after I OAT it like a dumba**, flicks cleanly, glides well (considering what it is), and fights wind extremely well. Most importantly, it's workable like a Volt, even for people like me who average in the mid to low 300s.

I with you on the feel too - the hand and flex on all my MVP drivers are pretty much the same and the molds feel extremely similar as well, right down to the variation on the domes (very little).
Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 9
I think the contributing factor to how the MVP all feel similar (and comfortable) in hand is the core/overmold way of producing different discs instead of top and bottoms. With the cores not varying much everything feels alike. They also all have the rounded edges inside the plate/wing seam which a few have not liked, but more have liked a lot. Lastly, there is no flashing along the heel of the rims to drag across our fingers on release (and which varies a lot between discs of alternative manufacture). All of these factors combine to produce a very homogenous and quality feel across the line. I don't think we're all crazy people to be so enamored with everything they've thrown at us so far.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePiRaTE View Post
I think the contributing factor to how the MVP all feel similar (and comfortable) in hand is the core/overmold way of producing different discs instead of top and bottoms. With the cores not varying much everything feels alike. They also all have the rounded edges inside the plate/wing seam which a few have not liked, but more have liked a lot. Lastly, there is no flashing along the heel of the rims to drag across our fingers on release (and which varies a lot between discs of alternative manufacture). All of these factors combine to produce a very homogenous and quality feel across the line. I don't think we're all crazy people to be so enamored with everything they've thrown at us so far.
No, it's true, we are mvp fanatics. The teebird along with the roc is innova's pride and joy. I have thrown 11x thirds and have marveled at the flight...The first time I threw a volt, my jaw dropped. I had literally just perfected the basics of my form about a month ago and got a black volt in a trade. I let it rip and it went straight as an arrow and skipped parking a 380ft basket. I couldn't believe it. I had NEVER imagined I could throw a disc that far in my life. The release was so smooth and clean, the plastic is grippy and near indestructible, and I love seeing that black rim sail towards the basket. I have 6 volts in my bag, 1 amp, soon to be 4, and still working on the shock situation. These discs have done wonders for me and have replaced my bag with the exception of my utility drivers and heavy wind fighters, (flick and xcal) Once I get the shocks I know I should have, I may be able to kick the Xcal out of my bag. Now just gotta wait for that perfect forehand driving mid, and my bag will be all mvp. Hoping the tensor is the answer. I have about 6 ions, 2 I keep in my bag at all times, the others as back ups. If I hadn't made it clear enough, these discs are a dream for forehand players and backhand players a like.