Disc Golf Store
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePiRaTE View Post
I think the contributing factor to how the MVP all feel similar (and comfortable) in hand is the core/overmold way of producing different discs instead of top and bottoms. With the cores not varying much everything feels alike.
The cores don't vary much because they are the same. As I understand it, MVP runs a ton of cores, then puts the different overmolds on each one, depending on which disc they want. The cores for all three drivers are likely coming from the same run, and are basically identical. The same is done for the mids, and putters.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18
Threw my Amp some more just before dark after the wind died down. I think I'm going to keep it and look for a flippy Amp to go with it. I can't imagine a Volt is going to give me anything a stable Amp won't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was consistently getting more distance out of the stable Amp than I was the under-stable FR Shock. I'll mess with the Shock some more unless anyone wants to trade their flippy Amp for a FR Shock?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The cores don't vary much because they are the same. As I understand it, MVP runs a ton of cores, then puts the different overmolds on each one, depending on which disc they want. The cores for all three drivers are likely coming from the same run, and are basically identical. The same is done for the mids, and putters.
Thanks for clarification. Although I'm not privy to their techniques, the results lead one to believe this. To quote a semi-famous clown "I'm lovin' it".
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
Threw my Amp some more just before dark after the wind died down. I think I'm going to keep it and look for a flippy Amp to go with it. I can't imagine a Volt is going to give me anything a stable Amp won't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was consistently getting more distance out of the stable Amp than I was the under-stable FR Shock. I'll mess with the Shock some more unless anyone wants to trade their flippy Amp for a FR Shock?
How far are you throwing the amp/shock disc golf lines on a course? At ~300 power the discs will act relatively similar given ideal conditions and equal throws its at 350-400 there is a strong difference as well as with the new runs obviously shock's will not turn like the FR's and amps are not "flippy" so it might be hard to find a true "flippy" mvp disc if you are not throwing with Hulk Hogan power.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 AM
www.salientdiscs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
How far are you throwing the amp/shock disc golf lines on a course? At ~300 power the discs will act relatively similar given ideal conditions and equal throws its at 350-400 there is a strong difference as well as with the new runs obviously shock's will not turn like the FR's and amps are not "flippy" so it might be hard to find a true "flippy" mvp disc if you are not throwing with Hulk Hogan power.
I thought the more current amps are under stable ( flippy) i ordered two blank white 168g amps to see if i could hyzer flip them into a long s curve, with enough power, possibly into an anny
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I'm not entirely sure about this. My new Shock has a different core from my Amp and Volt. The angle of the rim part of the core is steeper than the others.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Plastic Counselor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
I thought the more current amps are under stable ( flippy) i ordered two blank white 168g amps to see if i could hyzer flip them into a long s curve, with enough power, possibly into an anny
They turn but I would not call it "flippy" at all. The turn is slower and given enough height the amp still seems to fade back a little. I have had a lot of shots just keep holding right but not really cutting into rollers flippy style-- I still have to throw a roller line. Amp is def. understable even compared to the volt IMO but not flippy

edit: and will be great for the shot you describe at 300-400 range. anymore power over that and or a powerful lower flat release and amp will be finishing right.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 04-20-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I don't use a run up, I just step into the throw. I'm throwing them in the field with Pee Wee Herman power to 300', haven't thrown them on the course yet. I was hoping a super flippy Amp to someone else would be a nice 'S' curver or a hyzer flipper for me.

Anywho, back to the Volt topic before I get scolded, I'll wait until after I see how the Amp and I break in together (and implement a run up this summer) before trying the Volt.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Plastic Counselor

^Sounds like a good idea-- Amp will not be understable for you IMO and really should try a midrange for those type of shots right now at your skill level and of course, I will suggest a tangent for this

Nice long 250-300 hyzer-flip turn-over shots for understable drives and your amp will be for flex shots or hyzer finishes. No need for a flippy amp or volt right now!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I'm not entirely sure about this. My new Shock has a different core from my Amp and Volt. The angle of the rim part of the core is steeper than the others.
Hmm. I haven't held a Shock ever, so I can't say.

Maybe Chad will chime in...