#1841  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Qikly's Avatar
Qikly Qikly is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,550
Can anyone give me a better sense of how much turn and fade the Volt has? Is it it a "straight" driver for someone who throws 300'-325'? I've done some reading, and intend to do more, but there's a heckuva lotta pages in this thread.

I'm considering trying discs out to go between my Stag and my Underworld - especially needed for windier days - and the Volt seemed like an option to me, but after what reading I've done, it seems as though it has more fade than I anticipated.

Thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #1842  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
in4d's Avatar
in4d in4d is offline
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Woods
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,730
for your distance, it will probably fly with -1 HSS (turn) and 2 LSS (Fade)

you will get a little turn thrown flat but it will fade back and end a little left of center.

if you slightly hyzer flip it, it will go straight for 70% of flight and fade left a little harder

its similar to a beast.. maybe not as flippy when new though

by far the most versatile fairway you can get from MVP, it covers a lot of lines from overstable to slightly understable if you know how to use it

most notably it has very forward penetrating fade, careful not to overthrow the pin

Last edited by in4d; 06-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1843  
Old 06-15-2013, 03:47 PM
JAKE master's Avatar
JAKE master JAKE master is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Woods of CT
Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
Can anyone give me a better sense of how much turn and fade the Volt has? Is it it a "straight" driver for someone who throws 300'-325'? I've done some reading, and intend to do more, but there's a heckuva lotta pages in this thread.

I'm considering trying discs out to go between my Stag and my Underworld - especially needed for windier days - and the Volt seemed like an option to me, but after what reading I've done, it seems as though it has more fade than I anticipated.

Thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers.
idk that you will get any turn out of the volt and id be willing to bet it would be pretty similar to your stag. even at the lowest weights. i do feel at that power level a max weight amp could be suitable. like the tangent, they dont want to just roll over for you. i think you will have the best separation between the underworld and stag. fwiw
Reply With Quote
  #1844  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 PM
jskew113's Avatar
jskew113 jskew113 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SE VA
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 669
I think it would fit nicely. I'm throwing it about 10-15' shorter then you but it is great on straight shots with a nice subtle fade. It is also really easy to work a lot of lines. It has booted my teebirds, for the moment. The entire MVP fairway line really has me happy right now.
Reply With Quote
  #1845  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Qikly's Avatar
Qikly Qikly is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,550
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE master View Post
idk that you will get any turn out of the volt and id be willing to bet it would be pretty similar to your stag. even at the lowest weights.
This is what I was afraid of. I might get a hair of turn out of the Volt, as I get some out of my Tournament Stag and get more than some out of the DX Beasts I've thrown, but based on what I've read, I can see there being a lot of overlap between my Tournament Stags (which I'd put at -.5 HSS and 2.5ish LSS) and the Volts. Obviously I don't know until I try, but that was my concern, and the reason I asked in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE master View Post
i do feel at that power level a max weight amp could be suitable. like the tangent, they dont want to just roll over for you. i think you will have the best separation between the underworld and stag. fwiw
This is an interesting suggestion, and something I'd actually considered. My main concern is, how does the Amp handle in a light wind? I don't expect it to be a wind-killer, but adding something more wind-resistant than the Underworlds was one of my motivations for considering another driver. That being said, the Tangent comparison rings true, as I'm basically looking for a Tangent in driver form.

The positive of adding an Amp is that I can grow with it: it won't cease to be useful if/when I increase my power level. I've wondered if I might outgrow the Underworld eventually; the Amp could potentially take its place on down the road...
Reply With Quote
  #1846  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C Mike C is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,920
Amps aren't that bad in mild wind, especially for lower power players. Something about the overmold seems to delay the turnover in the more understable discs when tossed in a headwind...at least for me. Might just be how I throw, dunno. Anyone else think this?
Reply With Quote
  #1847  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,323
I agree. I've used my Amp in mild headwinds, and it handles them well.
Reply With Quote
  #1848  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Sean Johnson's Avatar
Sean Johnson Sean Johnson is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
for your distance, it will probably fly with -1 HSS (turn) and 2 LSS (Fade)

you will get a little turn thrown flat but it will fade back and end a little left of center.

if you slightly hyzer flip it, it will go straight for 70% of flight and fade left a little harder

its similar to a beast.. maybe not as flippy when new though

by far the most versatile fairway you can get from MVP, it covers a lot of lines from overstable to slightly understable if you know how to use it

most notably it has very forward penetrating fade, careful not to overthrow the pin
Qikly - I throw about the same distance as you and this /\ is exactly how it flies for me (though I have pretty much no experience w/Beasts). For my money, I think it's the best disc they make.
Reply With Quote
  #1849  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM
justinf67 justinf67 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
for your distance, it will probably fly with -1 HSS (turn) and 2 LSS (Fade)

you will get a little turn thrown flat but it will fade back and end a little left of center.

if you slightly hyzer flip it, it will go straight for 70% of flight and fade left a little harder

its similar to a beast.. maybe not as flippy when new though

by far the most versatile fairway you can get from MVP, it covers a lot of lines from overstable to slightly understable if you know how to use it

most notably it has very forward penetrating fade, careful not to overthrow the pin
I agree with this. -1, 2 at that range. I am at that same level and I love this disc. You have to have decent form, I didnt like it a few months ago. As I have cleaned up my form and got better, this disc has become one of my go to's. My GL Saint and this disc are similar, but both do different things for me. The volt has SLIGHT turn when thrown flat, not too much fade. But, where this shines is the lines I can hit with it. Sweeping hyzers with forward fade, tunnel shots,etc. I have to say this and the Anode are my 2 favorites from MVP. Anode is Amazing as an approach disc, shaved strokes immediately. Just got an Amp, I'm liking it so far. Tangent is nice, slow, slight turn on a decent rip. Vector is good too for straight shots with nice fade at the end.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1850  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
dekdo's Avatar
dekdo dekdo is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
Can anyone give me a better sense of how much turn and fade the Volt has? Is it it a "straight" driver for someone who throws 300'-325'? I've done some reading, and intend to do more, but there's a heckuva lotta pages in this thread.

I'm considering trying discs out to go between my Stag and my Underworld - especially needed for windier days - and the Volt seemed like an option to me, but after what reading I've done, it seems as though it has more fade than I anticipated.

Thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers.
The volt probably wont turn at all with 300-325 ft of power. Ive tossed mine 400' with a bit of turn but not too much. You probably wont see any turn until 350+ and like others have said you can hyzer flip it for some nice straight shots
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.