Old 05-08-2015, 10:43 AM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thunderbird flight

I threw my friends max weight GStar Thunderbird today and it was love at the first sight. Gstar had little turn and it was very straight. I threw it about 325ft. Now I'm interested to buy one but can't decide between champion and gstar. How does champion fly compared to Gstar and what weight should I get so it flies with little turn? Is 175g too heavy for champion?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM

I have a 175 G* and it flies with a touch of turn. I have not thrown a champion Thunderbird but champion plastic tends to be more stable. If you threw you friends G* and loved it then stick with that.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Par Member

I haven't thrown the production run Champs but my proto had no turn at all for max weight on 350' of power. From what I understand the gstar is the way to go if you want a little walk in the flight path.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 111
buy multiples when you do find the "one" you like.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
buy multiples when you do find the "one" you like.
If I had the money
Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeballSupreme View Post
I have a 175 G* and it flies with a touch of turn. I have not thrown a champion Thunderbird but champion plastic tends to be more stable. If you threw you friends G* and loved it then stick with that.
Otherwise I would stick with Gstar but I have weird obesession/devotion on champion plastic. Maybe I should throw it couple more times and decide then.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 16
The champion is more stable than G* but not by much. I get my Thunderbirds to right at 275-300ft on a good pull and they are dead straight for most of the flight and then fade hard into the ground.

The most OS runs of Champion have been the Air Force stamped ones. They are pretty beefy.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 6
My Champ will fly flat with maybe a slight bit of turn and decent fade but it has been slightly beat in. It will still hold a hyzer line really well. I don't have stupid power though and when i started throwing was really overstable for me but I have since added a bit of power. Also, you can order Star Thunderbirds on the innova factory store.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 60
I've thrown 2 champs. 1 flew like the G* you describe. It was so good, so naturally I lost it within a week. The other is a dead 0 turn. I have acquired a few more since, but have not thrown them. Looking at the PLH compared to the one in my bag, the others I got are a tiny bit higher if anything. I expect they will all be no-turn with aggressive fade.

If you like the G* blend, that that would be the better bet for the flight you want. If you want that flight into a headwind, get a Champ as well!

I'm still holding out for that stock Star run.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzzz View Post
I threw my friends max weight GStar Thunderbird today and it was love at the first sight. Gstar had little turn and it was very straight. I threw it about 325ft. Now I'm interested to buy one but can't decide between champion and gstar. How does champion fly compared to Gstar and what weight should I get so it flies with little turn? Is 175g too heavy for champion?
I have two 167g Champion Thunderbirds. Not much turn, just super straight. I can get them out close to 400 so with you throwing them 325 I'd definitely go 167 or lighter on the Champion. If you get Gstar, go max.

Last edited by Jcough; 05-08-2015 at 11:24 AM.