Old 05-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Prometheus vs Kastaplast Rask

In our weekly doubles today, I bought a 189g Prometheus off of my partner. I field tested it against my 171g Kastaplast Rask. I was laying them next to each other, but how they got there was very different.
The Rask dies when it hits the ground. It has to be kept in the air for the entire distance. I was getting less distance with the Prometheus but the roll out was much better.
I accidentally threw a forehand roller with it trying a strong anny line. It rolls right nice like.
The Prometheus is too bulky and 'slinky' to thumb well, but I was comparing it against the Rask, which is the best thumb disc I have ever thrown.

The Kastaplast Rask is wicked. It flies fast with little effort but once it slows, it falls from the sky. I had some guys that have cannons for arms throw the Rask, as for all intents, I don't have the power to throw it. With the proper amount of speed and spin, it flies on a horizontal plane very much like a thumber. The disc actually 'rolled' in the air....and it goes far.
While I don't have the arm speed to throw it flat, I cannot say enough good things about the Rask for thumbers and tomahawks, it has such a beautiful flight. It also punches through trees and underbrush like nothing I have ever thrown. Its a deadly weapon.

Has anyone else thrown both of these discs? What are your thoughts?
How does they compare with the cannon?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
With the proper amount of speed and spin, it flies on a horizontal plane very much like a thumber.
What?

Quote:
It also punches through trees and underbrush like nothing I have ever thrown.
A disc that punches through trees?!?! Put me down for a dozen.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorent View Post
What?

A disc that punches through trees?!?! Put me down for a dozen.
Sorry, I should have said tree canopy. It knocks the branches aside instead of skipping off.

As for the it flying on the horizontal plane like a thumber.. that is the only way I know how to describe the flight. It looked to be turning around an axis in the air. The disc was not so much moving right to left in the high speed turn(right-hand forehand shot) as it was rotating along the plane. The same for when the fade kicked in, it rotated the other direction.

That is not the flight I get. For me it files straight as an arrow for about 200 feet and then dumps out of the sky. I can throw my Switch or Crave farther than the Rask. As I said, I don't have the speed for it yet.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
As for the it flying on the horizontal plane like a thumber.. that is the only way I know how to describe the flight. It looked to be turning around an axis in the air. The disc was not so much moving right to left in the high speed turn(right-hand forehand shot) as it was rotating along the plane. The same for when the fade kicked in, it rotated the other direction.
This still doesn't really make sense to me. Do you mean it's performing barrel rolls in midair, or is it just turning a lot?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 37
I think what he is trying to say is... Instead of lateral fade it is just rotating on its axis and falling like a brick out of the sky.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

still makes no sense
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Eagle Member

The rask is fast and stupid over stable. He doesn't have enough speed to keep it flying long enough for it to fade. It goes out knifes over and falls straight to the ground kinda like a tomahawk does, but without the barrel roll.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Of course I could be completely wrong in my interpretation. Also, who knows what weird flight characteristics that disc has, because of the lip/grip prevention device lol, it has underneath.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Are we being punked? I don't even know what these discs are lol what company makes them?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Bogey Member

wait, what?